Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

How to care for dog with terminal cancer?

How to care for dog with terminal cancer?

Old Jul 2nd 2008, 12:41 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Question How to care for dog with terminal cancer?

I'm not sure where to post this, but I guess this place is as good as any so here goes:

Our dog has just been diagnosed with hemangiosarcoma and has been given only weeks - possibly just days - to live. There is a huge mass on her spleen, a tumor at the base of her heart, and another mass on her adrenal gland which appears to be metastasising to her renal vein.

(She is a lab / border collie mix, 11 years old and weighing 62 pounds.)

The vet basically said there is nothing that can be done (which I accept, since her tumors are too extensive for surgery, and chemo alone would not help) - just keep her comfortable and bring her in if she appears to deteriorate.

She is our first dog and I feel so lost. I would be so grateful for advice from anyone who has gone through something similar, any pointers on how to maintain her quality of life, what to do when she starts to deteriorate and decompensate.

There are so many 'miracle diets' touted in the web, but is there anything, any foods or supplements etc, that would be helpful for a dog with terminal cancer?

With this cancer, she will eventually bleed to death internally. Is there any way it could be made possible for her to die peacefully at home, or will we eventually have to have her euthanised, as the vet maintains?
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 12:49 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to care for dog with terminal cancer?

Sorry to hear this, that rather sucks...though won't it be less cruel to put her down than let the suffering prolong?
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 12:58 am

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point

sorry to hear this Elvira, both our labs died from cancer too and its horrible.

When we were given the news as you were of weeks to live we of course took him straight home and kept him until the final day when he collapsed and he was euthanised in my arms - we couldnt bear to see him go.

Truth was - he was in terrible pain according to the vet for at least a week before he finally let it get to him and in hindsight I wish we'd taken him in so much sooner.

The extra time we had him for was for us - not for him - and he suffered which I regret so badly. If he could speak I'm sure he'd have begged us to end it.

Its an awful situation to be in - I know you'll make the right decision for you all.
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 1:10 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry to hear you are losing a friend. And even more sad that my recommendation is mirroring some of the other posters in that you'll really need to think of the suffering that he might be going through as you make your decisions. I'd watch him carefully and see if the pain is becoming too unbearable for them and then consult your vet on what course of action might be best.

Guess that was the reason my parents made me watch the Disney movie 'Old Yeller' when I was a kid before I got my first pet.

Good luck.
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 1:11 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear this...I know she had health problems some months ago.

I have only had to have one of my dogs euthanised...she was over 15 and was going downhill fast. I took her to the vets...he euthanised her while I held her in my arms. I was so upset I had to leave by the back door...rather than walking through the waiting room. I took her home and buried her at the bottom of the garden.

At the first sign of any suffering...that's the time to make that final journey to the vets IMO. At least we can end our pet's suffering which is more than we can do for our family. I'm sure she knows that you love her and have cared for her. My heart goes out to you.
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 1:22 am
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

We have just gone through this with our cat and over the years we have had other pets with terminal illnesses.

You will know when it is time to let your dog go. Our vet said that to us many years ago and I didn't believe him but you do know.

There was nothing that could be done for our cat and so we just took care of her, loved her to bits, made a huge fuss...salmon every day. Then one morning when I came downstairs she had deteriorated and I just knew it was time.
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 1:31 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Guys - I have been assured she is not in any pain. In fact, now that the blood has been drained from her pericardium, she is almost back to her old self. We have just got back from a fairly long walk - the second one today. She is eating, she is smiling, she is asking for cuddles, she is giving paws...

Please do not suggest that I would let her suffer for my own benefit. Clearly you do not have any experience of this particular form of cancer - I had been hoping that someone had.

I read somewhere that, when they start to bleed to death, it is similar to losing consciousness, and not painful. I am waiting to ask our vet more Qs.

So please no more suggestions of having her put down now. Not even once was this even suggested by the vet.
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 1:36 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Guys - I have been assured she is not in any pain. In fact, now that the blood has been drained from her pericardium, she is almost back to her old self. We have just got back from a fairly long walk - the second one today. She is eating, she is smiling, she is asking for cuddles, she is giving paws...

Please do not suggest that I would let her suffer for my own benefit. Clearly you do not have any experience of this particular form of cancer - I had been hoping that someone had.

I read somewhere that, when they start to bleed to death, it is similar to losing consciousness, and not painful. I am waiting to ask our vet more Qs.

So please no more suggestions of having her put down now. Not even once was this even suggested by the vet.
I don't think anyone suggested you would do that.
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 1:41 am
Forum Regular

Nigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really nice

I just read your post Elvira, and about the issues you addressed.

Enjoy the time you have with them and I apolagise for the judgmental views I was about to post and those who felt the same.

I know no one wants them to suffer or you.

Hug them, cuddle them and enjoy thier company.

Nigs
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 1:47 am
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira

I also had a dog. She didn't have what yours has but we eventually put her down because she WAS in pain. However since your's still vivacious, I'd recommend that you spoil her rotten. I mean give her whatever she wants from the table. Give her as much time as she wants at her play area. Basically become her personal 'Make a Wish Foundation'. I honestly wish I could have done that for my dog but she was too weak, couldn't see, was incontinent, and had heart issues. You're blessed with the opportunity I feel to make her last days the best she's ever had. You have my sympathy Elvira.
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 2:13 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

My heart goes out to you Elvira. My brother went through a similar thing recently with his dog, but I don't think it was the same cancer. He did say that he "knew" when it was time to take him to the vet. I'm sure you're instinct will kick in when it comes to that time, but echoing Ugacrew I'd spoil him rotten, take loads of pictures so that you can make a memory book might be theraputic for you too.
Good Luck.
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 2:32 am
Forum Regular

Nigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really niceNigs is just really nice

Having been there, for the future, even thought you'll be against it.

Get another dog. It's the best therapy.

Open for personal messages if it helps.

Nigs
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 7:16 am
Just Joined

jdmcc is a jewel in the roughjdmcc is a jewel in the roughjdmcc is a jewel in the roughjdmcc is a jewel in the roughjdmcc is a jewel in the rough

Elvira-I had a dog with that exact diagnosis. His tumor was splenic with metastasis to the liver. Our vet recommended euthanasia which is what we did. The dog was having a problem, had no energy and was having accidents in the house so may have been a bit furthur along that where yours seems to be. Whatever you decide my best wishes to you. It isn't easy losing our best friends.
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 10:35 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisa67
My heart goes out to you Elvira. My brother went through a similar thing recently with his dog, but I don't think it was the same cancer. He did say that he "knew" when it was time to take him to the vet. I'm sure you're instinct will kick in when it comes to that time, but echoing Ugacrew I'd spoil him rotten, take loads of pictures so that you can make a memory book might be theraputic for you too.
Good Luck.
I'm with you Lisa...

Open for personal massages if it helps.
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 12:14 pm

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I don't think anyone suggested you would do that.
exactly - so dont take it that way. Just trying to be helpful and empathise with you from the benefit our our experiences as we've been there. May not be the same cancer but to be honest if she's terminal it doesnt matter what the specific cancer is ....

I hope she's feeling good today.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.