Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

A horse's ass in the country

A horse's ass in the country

Old Sep 19th 2011, 3:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

keira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default A horse's ass in the country

We moved to Louisville, Kentucky, at the beginning of the month from Chicago and we were sort of prepared for the Southern charm and warmer weather.

We'd heard tales of shoeless, toothless folks who marry their own cousins, from the eastern side of the state, plus the rich, horsey folk, who imbibe in copious amounts of bourbon on a regular basis, from the multitude of horse farms in the area.

So we went out on the Harley (hubbie and I) to explore the countryside surrounding the Louisville suburbs last weekend and, bugger me, if we didn't find all of the above PLUS ended up getting very closely acquainted with the back end of a horse's ass to boot!

Out on a windy country lane we suddenly found the road blocked by a bottle-blond marathon runner stopping the traffic because her farmer-neighbor was having difficulties getting their horses into a trailer by the side of the road.

So we stopped and waited and watched. I kid you not, there were two big burly Kentucky farmers, two smart lads in chinos and designer shades, and two tattooed, dungaree-clad bumpkins, who really were lacking in the tooth department, all trying their utmost to get these horses in the truck. And these horses did NOT want to go in that truck!

So my ever-helpful hubbie, seeing that other folk had obviously stopped to help, offers his services to the lady holding up the traffic.

So there I am, sitting on the Harley, watching in amazement as these 7 guys, now aided by my hubbie in his bright, red Liverpool shirt and Harley cap, are quite literally manhandling this poor horses derriere! My husband has never been anywhere near a farm in his life, let alone an actual horse.

Well, they managed to get that bugger in the trailer in the end by actually physically lifting the whole back end of it off the ground and running it into the trailer. You should have seen the sweat dripping off these guys... not to mention dust, flies and horseshit!

So that was our introduction to Kentucky life. And we encountered every one of those stereotypes we'd ever heard mention of. And loved every one of them. And they didn't seem to mind these peculiar English folks who were out tainting the beautiful countryside air with a big, old, noisy Harley either!

And the lady who held up the traffic and her boyfriend, who actually turned out to be a high-powered corporate executives, have that Southern charm and welcoming outlook that you just don't seem to find anywhere else. They are such a good laugh. They took us out to the movies this weekend, baked us chocolate brownies to say thanks for stopping and helping their neighbors, are more than happy to cuss the American way at every opportunity and introduced hubbie to the best bourbon he has ever tasted! Think we've made friends for life!

How's that? Welcome to Kentucky.
Old Sep 19th 2011, 3:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A horse's ass in the country

Originally Posted by keira-2007
We moved to Louisville, Kentucky, at the beginning of the month from Chicago and we were sort of prepared for the Southern charm and warmer weather.

We'd heard tales of shoeless, toothless folks who marry their own cousins, from the eastern side of the state, plus the rich, horsey folk, who imbibe in copious amounts of bourbon on a regular basis, from the multitude of horse farms in the area.

So we went out on the Harley (hubbie and I) to explore the countryside surrounding the Louisville suburbs last weekend and, bugger me, if we didn't find all of the above PLUS ended up getting very closely acquainted with the back end of a horse's ass to boot!

Out on a windy country lane we suddenly found the road blocked by a bottle-blond marathon runner stopping the traffic because her farmer-neighbor was having difficulties getting their horses into a trailer by the side of the road.

So we stopped and waited and watched. I kid you not, there were two big burly Kentucky farmers, two smart lads in chinos and designer shades, and two tattooed, dungaree-clad bumpkins, who really were lacking in the tooth department, all trying their utmost to get these horses in the truck. And these horses did NOT want to go in that truck!

So my ever-helpful hubbie, seeing that other folk had obviously stopped to help, offers his services to the lady holding up the traffic.

So there I am, sitting on the Harley, watching in amazement as these 7 guys, now aided by my hubbie in his bright, red Liverpool shirt and Harley cap, are quite literally manhandling this poor horses derriere! My husband has never been anywhere near a farm in his life, let alone an actual horse.

Well, they managed to get that bugger in the trailer in the end by actually physically lifting the whole back end of it off the ground and running it into the trailer. You should have seen the sweat dripping off these guys... not to mention dust, flies and horseshit!

So that was our introduction to Kentucky life. And we encountered every one of those stereotypes we'd ever heard mention of. And loved every one of them. And they didn't seem to mind these peculiar English folks who were out tainting the beautiful countryside air with a big, old, noisy Harley either!

And the lady who held up the traffic and her boyfriend, who actually turned out to be a high-powered corporate executives, have that Southern charm and welcoming outlook that you just don't seem to find anywhere else. They are such a good laugh. They took us out to the movies this weekend, baked us chocolate brownies to say thanks for stopping and helping their neighbors, are more than happy to cuss the American way at every opportunity and introduced hubbie to the best bourbon he has ever tasted! Think we've made friends for life!

Never been there, but it sounds like a hoot!
Old Sep 19th 2011, 3:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds great, good luck with your move looks like it's off to a fab start
Old Sep 19th 2011, 3:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

I love KY. I live in Georgia but travel up there for work occasionally. In fact, I may be up there tomorrow!

The people are so friendly and have the southern charm with a lot less of the arrogance that you get in Hicksville, GA.

I'll be heading up to Leitchfield and staying in either Bowling Green or Cave City.

BTW, if you haven't down so yet, take a trip over to the aforementioned Bowling Green and visit the Corvette Museum and, if you can make it during the week, the factory tour.
Old Sep 19th 2011, 4:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a Louisville native. It sounds like some of my 'neighbors' treated you pretty good! Whereabouts in L'ville did you move to?

We're actually getting ready to move back to Scotland, and I think I am going to miss this city!
Old Sep 19th 2011, 4:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

keira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all,

Guindalf - We haven't ventured far enough out yet to have discovered much of L'ville yet let alone the places you mentioned, but I'll add them to my list of spots to explore when we get bored with these here surroundings.

Bluegrass - We moved to Prospect - an awesome house on 2 and a half acres. Pinch myself every time I walk around it. Bit out in the sticks, but close enough to the Summit to be doable shops-wise, if ya know what I mean.

Shame you're moving back to Scotland. Would have been nice to have another Brit in close proximity. Although funnily enough, my hubbie's PA is from Scotland and she and her Geordie husband came round the other day, and they're the only Brits I've met since moving to the States 4 years ago! (I don't get out much clearly!)
Old Sep 19th 2011, 4:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all,

Guindalf - We haven't ventured far enough out yet to have discovered much of L'ville yet let alone the places you mentioned, but I'll add them to my list of spots to explore when we get bored with these here surroundings.

Bluegrass - We moved to Prospect - an awesome house on 2 and a half acres. Pinch myself every time I walk around it. Bit out in the sticks, but close enough to the Summit to be doable shops-wise, if ya know what I mean.

Shame you're moving back to Scotland. Would have been nice to have another Brit in close proximity. Although funnily enough, my hubbie's PA is from Scotland and she and her Geordie husband came round the other day, and they're the only Brits I've met since moving to the States 4 years ago! (I don't get out much clearly!)
Ahh, Prospect. Very nice area. We lived in La Grange for several years, so I know The Summit shops quite well. If you haven't discovered it yet, Highway 42 has a very nice scenic route along the Ohio. I hope you don't have to drive into L'ville and deal with all that extra traffic hassle due to the bridge being closed. That is a big PITA at the moment. There's a few other Brits around here, but not many. Most seem to be in Northern KY/Cincy area.

I'd also recommend a drive up to Cincinnati one weekend. We lived up there a couple of years too, and there's some good shops and malls. The aquarium in Covington (Northern KY) is quite a nice one to see.
Old Sep 19th 2011, 4:50 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Great story and good going
Old Sep 19th 2011, 7:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass
Ahh, Prospect. Very nice area. We lived in La Grange for several years, so I know The Summit shops quite well. If you haven't discovered it yet, Highway 42 has a very nice scenic route along the Ohio. I hope you don't have to drive into L'ville and deal with all that extra traffic hassle due to the bridge being closed. That is a big PITA at the moment. There's a few other Brits around here, but not many. Most seem to be in Northern KY/Cincy area.

I'd also recommend a drive up to Cincinnati one weekend. We lived up there a couple of years too, and there's some good shops and malls. The aquarium in Covington (Northern KY) is quite a nice one to see.
Shall add the scenic route on Highway 42 to my exploration list, too! That list is getting quite long. We've been so busy zigzagging about looking for decent furniture stores and getting the house sorted out, we haven't really ventured out all that far. I'd heard Cincy is a good place to visit.

Yeah, the bridge being shut does seem to be causing a few headaches around here. But I can't say I'd noticed any difference in comparison to the horrendous Chicago traffic we're used to! LOL.
Old Sep 19th 2011, 9:18 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

That's why I loved living in the South. Middle Tennessee was my favorite place of all. I was looking at a job at the U. of KY last year, but didn't apply in the end (salary too low). As many bad things as people say about the States, there are some salt of the Earth people in the South.
Old Sep 20th 2011, 2:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dunroving
That's why I loved living in the South. Middle Tennessee was my favorite place of all. I was looking at a job at the U. of KY last year, but didn't apply in the end (salary too low). As many bad things as people say about the States, there are some salt of the Earth people in the South.
Tru dat.

Mind you, not one of the miserable buggers in our actual subdivision have come and said hello, pleased to meet you yet.

We think they may be put off by the fact that my husband likes to wander around in his underpants, scratching his ass, and listening to Bruce Springsteen at full blim.... before he pollutes the calm and serenity of the land with the noisy Fat Bob between his legs! (Motorcycle, for those who aren't in the know. I realize that might have sounded a touch rude otherwise.)
Old Sep 20th 2011, 3:20 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Well I was about to say I don't get around that much
Old Sep 20th 2011, 12:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent story
Old Sep 21st 2011, 12:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bob
Well I was about to say I don't get around that much
LOL. I certainly hope you don't get around THERE too much...
Old Sep 21st 2011, 3:53 pm
Forum Regular

wildinvirginia is just really nicewildinvirginia is just really nicewildinvirginia is just really nicewildinvirginia is just really nicewildinvirginia is just really nicewildinvirginia is just really nicewildinvirginia is just really nicewildinvirginia is just really nicewildinvirginia is just really nice

Yup - pretty much sums up what we found there lol There's some pretty strange, er 'outcamps' in them thar hills, but everyone I've ever met there has been awesome and the Dr who my daughter is named after, saved her life and is from yup, KY. While she was treating me she was due to go home to her Mom's big birthday bash but her Mom told her if she left my side and something happened to my daughter, then the Dr wasn't the daughter she's raised. They still follow my daughter's progress on FB. Wish we'd have been posted to KY sometimes - the people there are just so warm and friendly, even the stereotypical ones who don't understand a word you say lol

You nailed it by getting out and helping even tho you were ill-equipped ... goes a long way in the South

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.