Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Homesick in Wisconsin

Homesick in Wisconsin

Old Jan 23rd 2020, 3:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Homesick in Wisconsin

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
The Irish motorway system is vastly improved these days, but it's very Dublin-Belfast corridor centred. If they would give you a half decent motorway to link the M6 around Athlone to the M1 in Dungannon you'd probably be able to get to Belfast in half that time. Not that you'd probably want to, but at least you'd have the option
At least it would give more options and I did enjoy some parts of the city centre in Belfast after visiting last year. A lot has improved though and we now have a new linking motorway between Athenry to get to Limerick and it's hard to believe that it used to take over 4 hours to get to Dublin. Ideal would be another motorway between Limerick and Cork, as that would really link the 3 cities in the West. We sometimes take the ferry to France from Ringaskiddy and the drive from Limerick to Cork is annoying if you have a tractor and lorry in front of you.
Old Jan 23rd 2020, 3:36 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
At least it would give more options and I did enjoy some parts of the city centre in Belfast after visiting last year. A lot has improved though and we now have a new linking motorway between Athenry to get to Limerick and it's hard to believe that it used to take over 4 hours to get to Dublin. Ideal would be another motorway between Limerick and Cork, as that would really link the 3 cities in the West. We sometimes take the ferry to France from Ringaskiddy and the drive from Limerick to Cork is annoying if you have a tractor and lorry in front of you.
Belfast's nice enough, but parts of thy city centre were forgotten about in favor of others and there are a lot of abandoned and derelict buildings around.

It used to take around 3-4 hours for me to get to Dublin from just outside Belfast too before the M1/N1 was dualled all the way from Dublin to Belfast. The bit between the border and Dundalk was always fun when stuck behind a tractor, though they were usually pretty good about moving over when they had the chance. Now when we go over I can zip up from Dublin airport in less than 2 hours, it's great. I often think that (just like within Northern Ireland) the west was kind of forgotten about when the motorways are built though. You shouldn't have to drive all the way to Dublin to get a motorway connection to the north.
Old Jan 23rd 2020, 3:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Belfast's nice enough, but parts of thy city centre were forgotten about in favor of others and there are a lot of abandoned and derelict buildings around.

It used to take around 3-4 hours for me to get to Dublin from just outside Belfast too before the M1/N1 was dualled all the way from Dublin to Belfast. The bit between the border and Dundalk was always fun when stuck behind a tractor, though they were usually pretty good about moving over when they had the chance. Now when we go over I can zip up from Dublin airport in less than 2 hours, it's great. I often think that (just like within Northern Ireland) the west was kind of forgotten about when the motorways are built though. You shouldn't have to drive all the way to Dublin to get a motorway connection to the north.
I agree but then again I'm kind of happy that we don't have the life people in Dublin have LOL. Galway is not a bad place with good work opportunities, although is lacking decent shopping and city planning just doesn't make sense. In return we have some stunning scenery on our doorstep and once the days get brighter, it's great you can just drive, grab a coffee and can hike around Connemara. Every places has it's pros and cons, just like WI
Old Jan 23rd 2020, 3:58 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
I agree but then again I'm kind of happy that we don't have the life people in Dublin have LOL. Galway is not a bad place with good work opportunities, although is lacking decent shopping and city planning just doesn't make sense. In return we have some stunning scenery on our doorstep and once the days get brighter, it's great you can just drive, grab a coffee and can hike around Connemara. Every places has it's pros and cons, just like WI
I'm with you there.

One big pro Galway has that Wisconsin doesn't, of course, is the lack of snow.
Old Jan 23rd 2020, 3:59 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Difficult to see any extension of the motorway networks in current climes.
Old Jan 23rd 2020, 4:41 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Difficult to see any extension of the motorway networks in current climes.
Maybe in the summer then?
Old Jan 23rd 2020, 4:43 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Maybe in the summer then?
Old Jan 23rd 2020, 4:54 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Towns in England were sometimes set out in a grid pattern - but it’s more of a Roman or medieval thing, rather than eighteen or nineteenth century, as in North America.

Look at the map of Winchelsea, for instance.
Old Jan 23rd 2020, 5:41 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Towns in England were sometimes set out in a grid pattern - but it’s more of a Roman or medieval thing, rather than eighteen or nineteenth century, as in North America.

Look at the map of Winchelsea, for instance.
Gloucester started out with a rudimentary grid too - with two main roads that cross in the center of the city, like most US cities, including, and perhaps "especially" the smaller ones. Maybe that is why I felt quite comfortable when I moved to NC.
Old Jan 23rd 2020, 6:15 pm
I have a comma problem

Gloucester started out with a rudimentary grid too - with two main roads that cross in the center of the city, like most US cities, including, and perhaps "especially" the smaller ones.
Ireland was obviously not influenced by Romans in any way because we don't have any grids that I have encountered. At least not on a large scale. But I like both ways of doing things anyway, grids are super easy to navigate in when in an unfamiliar town, and the 'someone dropped spaghetti on the blueprints' method is nice in its own way.

Maybe that is why I felt quite comfortable when I moved to NC.
That and the weather, I bet. I just looked at Charlotte for shits and grins and those lucky bastards are going to be in the 50s all week.
Old Jan 23rd 2020, 6:30 pm
Account Closed

Warmest January I can remember, quite a few days above freezing.
Old Jan 23rd 2020, 6:33 pm
I have a comma problem

Warmest January I can remember, quite a few days above freezing.
It's not the temperature that's the problem, it's the precipitation. 34 degrees is fine on a dry day but that means snow on a wet one.

December was lovely though, frequently above 45 and not a drop of frozen misery falling from the sky.
Old Jan 23rd 2020, 6:36 pm
Account Closed

Difficult to tell if its snowing, ground blizzard out there is blowing stuff around. Hopefully the main road will not be closed.
Old Jan 23rd 2020, 6:38 pm
I have a comma problem

Difficult to tell if its snowing ...
I bet Pulaski never has that problem.
Old Jan 23rd 2020, 7:01 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Example of a small town in So. California east of San Diego founded after the civil war era.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.