Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Homesick in Wisconsin

Homesick in Wisconsin

Old Jan 23rd 2020, 11:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Nand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Homesick in Wisconsin

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Small town Wisconsin. If you come from a UK city or anywhere even within striking distance of a UK town the culture shock is giant and can easily induce symptoms that either mimic or are a depression. All of a sudden, everything you ever knew about people, interactions, and daily life is quite, quite different but they speak the same language so it's even more discombobulating. You think they should understand you, but they don't, and you don't understand them.

ok! to me this looks good. Where is it? Maybe I'll get back to the U.S.A.
Old Jan 23rd 2020, 12:27 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Looks just like small town GA, and I have had no trouble adapting.

In fact the wide open swathes of land between small towns is something that I now relish.
Old Jan 23rd 2020, 12:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
(i) poverty hasn't been eliminated in the UK and Europe
(ii) the sheer scale of the US, and the remoteness of cities makes the delivery of basic services considerably more expensive - installing water and sewage utilities for example would be grossly impractical across most of the US, and cities are just so far apart, making each of them more or less an economic island with areas in between where people can just disappear economically.
(iii) there is something "different" about the US and the demographics. The UK imprisons about 1 in 800 of its population, which is significantly higher than any other country in Europe, whereas the US imprisons about 1 in 100 of its population, which can only be partially be explained by prejudical policing and sentencing practices. However this leads on to .....
(iv) European countries allow criminal records to "expire", so most criminal activity is expunged from your criminal record after ten years of "going straight", which allows people to get back into the economic mainstream, whereas the US system of maintaining a criminal record for life has created a permanent economic underclass that has no means to escape and rejoin society where reasonable jobs require a clean record.
I think many people in the UK don't know what poverty is. I would say the better word is roughness hasn't been eliminated in the UK and it's more an attitude problem. Is it really poverty if you get a free house and healthcare and have food to eat? I suppose the biggest problem is that people don't look after things and a lot of places look rundown in parts of the UK. I live in the Republic of Ireland myself and even though it's a small country, there a huge differences when it comes to basic services and people are now talking about The Rural-Urban divide. Yes there are rough parts too but nowhere near UK levels. In fairness a lot comes down to personal taste and I wouldn't say that people in Dingle are wealthier than people in Birmingham, but when I passed Birmingham I just wanted to leave. Once Iceland supermarket reaches a place, the whole area looks rough to me:-) I probably just value green space more than fancy concrete buildings.

Last edited by Moses2013; Jan 23rd 2020 at 12:37 pm.
Old Jan 23rd 2020, 1:00 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tumbleweedly
ok! to me this looks good. Where is it? Maybe I'll get back to the U.S.A.
Marathon City, Wisconsin.
Old Jan 23rd 2020, 1:24 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Marathon City, Wisconsin.
Basically bang in the middle of the state.

Small Wisconsin towns all kind of have this look though, even Kenosha or some of the smaller towns in and around Milwaukee stick to these sorts of grids quite faithfully. It's kind of the same for Illinois too in the smaller towns, especially where there aren't any lakes to try to fit streets around. It's nice enough, and at least where I am, they're close enough together so you don't have to drive 45 minutes to do your messages, but spread out enough it it's quieter than the city.
Old Jan 23rd 2020, 1:56 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Basically bang in the middle of the state.

Small Wisconsin towns all kind of have this look though, ..... It's kind of the same for Illinois too in the smaller towns, especially where there aren't any lakes to try to fit streets around.....
It's the same up and down the East Coast too - pretty much all towns are, so far as topography allows, laid out on a grid pattern in the historic center part. There are sometimes gaps in the grid for the railroad, or some streets aren't continuous because of a creek or gully, and having a bridge on every street would be a bit daft, not to mention expensive.

Charlotte, NC broke parts of the downtown grid to fit in the football stadium, the basketball arena, and most recently, the baseball stadium. But prior to that, back in the 1960's I think, big chunks of the grid were ripped out to build an interstate-quality inner ring road, I277, with the fourth side of the square being I77 that runs close to downtown, thereby creating a substantial perimeter barrier between Charlotte's downtown core and all the surrounding neighborhoods. so although there are grid streets to some degree outside all side of the inner ring road, they are largely disconnected from the downtown grid, even though some of the names and numbers continue, even though there are several blocks of the street missing.
Old Jan 23rd 2020, 2:04 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

It's the same up and down the East Coast too - pretty much all towns are, so far as topography allows, laid out on a grid pattern in the historic center part. There are sometimes gaps in the grid for the railroad, or some streets aren't continuous because of a creek or gully, and having a bridge on every street would be a bit daft, not to mention expensive.

Charlotte, NC broke parts of the downtown grid to fit in the football stadium, the basketball arena, and most recently, the baseball stadium. But prior to that, back in the 1960's I think, big chunks of the grid were ripped out to build an interstate-quality inner ring road, I277, with the fourth side of the square being I77 that runs close to downtown, thereby creating a substantial perimeter barrier between Charlotte's downtown core and all the surrounding neighborhoods. so although there are grid streets to some degree outside all side of the inner ring road, they are largely disconnected from the downtown grid, even though some of the names and numbers continue, even though there are several blocks of the street missing.
Big exception on the east coast, of course, is Boston. Not so much of a grid there, more of the roads doing an impression of what happens to the wire on an unattended pair of earphones.

But we're not talking about cities anyway, and it is true that a lot of small towns have this same pattern, which is nice if the geography will allow it because it's virtually impossible to get lost in a grid, and they make one-way systems much easier to implement. Not like the one in Belfast city centre, which is interpretive at best. Plus if it was good enough for the Romans, etc.

I still feel like Wisconsin towns have a 'look', and I will admit that it could be entirely in my own head. Either way, I quite like it up there, at least to visit, unless we're talking about somewhere like Kenosha that's within half an hour or so from where I live now. I'd never actively move anywhere that gets more snow than we do here. Just isn't going to happen.
Old Jan 23rd 2020, 2:10 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

My local town (Pop. 7,000) doesn't have a grid pattern, but was first settled in 1808, which probably explains that
Old Jan 23rd 2020, 2:25 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

... I still feel like Wisconsin towns have a 'look', and I will admit that it could be entirely in my own head. Either way, I quite like it up there, .....
I'm not sure I see much that makes Marathon, WI distinct from here, a small town in VA.

To return to the theme brought up by @LiW, personally I think I would be nearly as "discombobulated" by a move to a small town in a rural area in the UK as I was moving to a small town in NC. In other words IMO comparing London, Birmingham, or another large city to small towns in the US is not a fair comparison as moving from London to say, (pulling a name out of a hat) Shrewsbury could be similarly jarring if you didn't make allowances for it being a very different place from London.

And also to a point LiW made, "speaking the same language but not understanding each other" can also apply in parts of Yorkshire!

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 23rd 2020 at 2:29 pm.
Old Jan 23rd 2020, 2:32 pm
I have a comma problem

I'm not sure I see much that makes Marathon, WI distinct from here, a small town in VA.

To return to the theme brought up by LiW, personally I think I would be nearly as "discombobulated" by a move to a small town in a rural area in the UK as I was moving to a small town in NC. In other words comparing London, Birmingham, or another large city is not a fair comparison as moving from London to say, (pulling a name out of a hat) Shrewsbury could be similarly jarring if you didn't make allowances for it being a very different place from London.
I know I'm already into the 'I'm a weirdo and this is all in my own head' territory but that photo just doesn't look like Wisconsin to me, but on the other hand, it isn't a million miles off some of the towns closer to me in Illinois. I have no explanation, sometimes I just give in and let my brain take over, and accept the fact that I might be a little bit special or something.

As to your second part, that's probably true. I never really lived in a city, so I moved from a medium sized dormitory town in the suburbs with a population of 27k, to a large-ish suburban town of 28k. Other than the suburban sprawl as compared to the compactness of the Irish seaside town centre, there wasn't too much of a difference in getting around. I'm in a smaller town now but the feel is much the same, except this one has a town centre, and more footpaths to walk on.
Old Jan 23rd 2020, 2:33 pm
I have a comma problem

And also to a point LiW made, "speaking the same language but not understanding each other" can also apply in parts of Yorkshire!
Same, but swap Yorkshire for Larne.
Old Jan 23rd 2020, 2:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Same, but swap Yorkshire for Larne.
I had to look that up. Although I'm on the island never heard of it.
Old Jan 23rd 2020, 3:04 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Moses2013
I had to look that up. Although I'm on the island never heard of it.
Larne's only purpose is containing the port that enables someone to quickly get out of Larne.

Parts of it are nice enough in fairness, but it's a running joke for people from Carrickfergus to take the piss out of Larne, like we're actually any better
Old Jan 23rd 2020, 3:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Larne's only purpose is containing the port that enables someone to quickly get out of Larne.

Parts of it are nice enough in fairness, but it's a running joke for people from Carrickfergus to take the piss out of Larne, like we're actually any better
I've never been farther than Belfast and from us Co. Galway it would be 4 1/2 hours drive. It even has an Asda:-)
Old Jan 23rd 2020, 3:16 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Moses2013
I've never been further than Belfast and from us Co. Galway it would be 4 1/2 hours drive. It even has an Asda:-)
The Irish motorway system is vastly improved these days, but it's very Dublin-Belfast corridor centred. If they would give you a half decent motorway to link the M6 around Athlone to the M1 in Dungannon you'd probably be able to get to Belfast in half that time. Not that you'd probably want to, but at least you'd have the option

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.