Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Homesick for Britain!

Homesick for Britain!

Old Apr 8th 2005, 8:16 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Homesick for Britain!

Originally Posted by Manc
it's all personal circumstance Iain.
Did you get where you are today because

a) you grafted your balls for it?
b) or JUST because you left the UK?

there is no utopia.

The country doesn't make the person, only he can do it alone.
Short answer is b i'm afraid. No amount of grafting in the UK helps with a 6x salary mortgage necessary to get on the housing ladder. Of course a bit of graft in my professional arena was enough to get me headhunted out of the yUK, so maybe a bit of A too, but mostly B, and a good dose of dumb luck to end up somewhere I would otherwise have never considered. Utopia is a relative thing, I doubt I would find any better life for myself than where I am now, so in that respect it is a Utopia. I could just as likely ended up in Mississagua and hated it as much as Julius. Maybe happyness is really all based on personal expectation.

I didnt do any of the graft that created this nice civil friendly community I live in, but I do my bit to help maintain it. You have to stand up for whats right sometimes rather than just bitch about whats going wrong. The problem in the UK as I see it is too many good people shruging there shoulders about the crap going on around them. Of course thats rather hypocritical coming from a rat whos already deserted the sinking ship.

Last edited by iaink; Apr 8th 2005 at 8:19 pm.
Old Apr 8th 2005, 8:20 pm
Deb+Chris

Originally Posted by baileyalison
open your eyes its everywhere london liverpool leicester birmingham bradford further north and south its totally f***** theres more and more places shutting down boarded up shops kids out of control spineless government the list is endless why anyone wants to come back here beats me its the pits
Each to their own they hey Alison. I've just returned from New Zealand, which I see is where you're heading. I know where I'd rather be and it aint NZ that's for sure.

Old Apr 8th 2005, 8:23 pm
Banned

baileyalison is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Homesick for Britain!

Originally Posted by Deb+Chris
Each to their own they hey Alison. I've just returned from New Zealand, which I see is where you're heading. I know where I'd rather be and it aint NZ that's for sure.
why have you come back especially to manchester
Old Apr 8th 2005, 8:25 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Why not manchester? There are worse places. And thats comming from a reformed psudoscouser!
Old Apr 8th 2005, 8:26 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Here's another thing about the houses.

You can buy a house in Little Hulton (Bolton) 3 bed semi for £75,000 right now.

example

Ok you may ask, whom wants to live in Little Hulton.
the answer is first time home buyers at this point.
and if lots of First time home buyers snap up the houses, the chavs soon move out as the the place goes upmarket.

ok the place doesn't have the greatest reputation in the world but it isn't impossible to buy a house in the UK with a decent mortgage to income ratio.

Materialism has convinced people half the time they need to buy way beyond their means.

The main reason the housing prices are the way they are is because people are willing to pay stupid prices.

That's not the UK's fault. that's daft buyers fault and the banks fault for lending it them
Old Apr 8th 2005, 8:27 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by iaink
Why not manchester? There are worse places. And thats comming from a reformed psudoscouser!
because its another northern hell hole thats why dont tell me you would come back here after seeing and living where you are
Old Apr 8th 2005, 8:28 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

centre of the universe.

oooh and Iain, took the misses to the Cavern club 3 weeks ago. She loved it. Tribute band playing and everything.

you don't get that in bum***** Michigan mate.
Old Apr 8th 2005, 8:28 pm
Deb+Chris

We didn't like NZ. We were very poor over there.. we're doing OK here (we're not rich but we certainly don't have to deprive ourselves of food or anything).

We love Manchester.

Wierd hey? but it's true!

Old Apr 8th 2005, 8:31 pm
@matthewb76

We love Manchester.
My wife said she prefers Manchester to Chicago.

the place is buzzin'
Old Apr 8th 2005, 8:32 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Manc
Here's another thing about the houses.

You can buy a house in Little Hulton (Bolton) 3 bed semi for £75,000 right now.

example

Ok you may ask, whom wants to live in Little Hulton.
the answer is first time home buyers at this point.
and if lots of First time home buyers snap up the houses, the chavs soon move out as the the place goes upmarket.

ok the place doesn't have the greatest reputation in the world but it isn't impossible to buy a house in the UK with a decent mortgage to income ratio.

Materialism has convinced people half the time they need to buy way beyond their means.

The main reason the housing prices are the way they are is because people are willing to pay stupid prices.

That's not the UK's fault. that's daft buyers fault and the banks fault for lending it them
people want to move away from crap areas full of scum thats why they pay more money to get somewhere to have a decent life away from idiots druggies etc and then the kids can play safe not materialism we live in a 4 bed double garage detached house on the edge of town drive a bmw and a shogun ride motocrossers and have all the toys but the countrys still knackered so were off leaving a rotting sinking ship
Old Apr 8th 2005, 8:34 pm
Deb+Chris

people want to move away from crap areas full of scum thats why they pay more money to get somewhere to have a decent life away from idiots druggies etc and then the kids can play safe not materialism we live in a 4 bed double garage detached house on the edge of town drive a bmw and a shogun ride motocrossers and have all the toys but the countrys still knackered so were off leaving a rotting sinking ship
And you're giving all that up for NZ?

@matthewb76

you seem to have done alright in a place that is apparently knackered.

or 'rotting' as you say.

I personally. think you are delusional.
and a closet racist too.
Banned

We didn't like NZ. We were very poor over there.. we're doing OK here (we're not rich but we certainly don't have to deprive ourselves of food or anything).

We love Manchester.

Wierd hey? but it's true!
how come you couldnt make a do what is your line of work
Old Apr 8th 2005, 8:37 pm
@matthewb76

people don't know what they have until it's gone.
Old Apr 8th 2005, 8:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

emmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond repute

could I just interup for a moment.....but what is wrong with manchester?.....I don't live there but i have spent time there....it is one of the most up and coming places in the uk.....sure I want to live abroad......but each to their own....you shouldn't be so cut and dry

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.