Homeless in RI

Old Jun 26th 2018, 3:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Homeless in RI

Originally Posted by notaclue
He is the one and only visa holder - I think it's an L1B but he is over here until October and has an EAD in progress I believe. .
Not an L1B then - comes automatically with authorisation to work. Trying to work out what situation you'd have when applying for authorisation when you will be leaving in 4 months anyway.

If he doesn't have access to employer resources, then I recommend he start with the list of state resources I mentioned earlier. Or bring forward by 4 months his plans to leave.

Last edited by yellowroom; Jun 26th 2018 at 3:54 pm.
Old Jun 26th 2018, 3:59 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

First step at least to get somewhere to sleep would be to find a homeless shelter, there they might have options for this person. I know shelters at times will assist with funds for a homeless person to return home, although that is normally within the US, unsure if they would be able to assist with funds to return to the UK. I would certainly have this person find the closest homeless shelter first and go from there.

It's unlikely this person would qualify for any gov't assistance from RI since they are not a PR or Citizen, I doubt a temporary visa holder will qualify, but homeless shelters will generally help anyone who is homeless without concern to their immigration status.
Old Jun 26th 2018, 4:03 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Agreed - what is the connection between the medical bill and this person being kicked out by a family member?
And how did he get a visa in the first place if he isn't bright enough to figure out how to get help in this situation -- in particular, repatriation seems the route to go. Sorry to sound harsh, but none of this makes sense.
Old Jun 26th 2018, 4:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Agreed - what is the connection between the medical bill and this person being kicked out by a family member?
At a guess, rent money, or lack thereof.
Old Jun 26th 2018, 5:30 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Well the sister and the brother-in-law were not beneficiaries to this person's visa whatever the visa may be. Only immediate family, i.e. spouse and/or children would be recipients of a derivate visa. Sounds more like this person is here on something like a B visa, be it for work or pleasure, and has been staying with relatives. They would have not kicked him out for a non-payment of a medical bill since as a foreigner with only a B visa, there was no affidavit of support that makes them liable for payment on his behalf. I agree there is much more to this story than notaclue has given us or probably even knows.

He can look for a homeless shelter, but please folks be aware that homeless shelters are not always existent in some cities. They aren't in my current hometown in MS. If he came on a B visa or some other limited timed visa that only gives him 6 months in the US, then he has to have had a return ticket when he originally entered. He is not without resources, both his own, his company's or his relatives.
Old Jun 26th 2018, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

ch2016 has a reputation beyond reputech2016 has a reputation beyond reputech2016 has a reputation beyond reputech2016 has a reputation beyond reputech2016 has a reputation beyond reputech2016 has a reputation beyond reputech2016 has a reputation beyond reputech2016 has a reputation beyond reputech2016 has a reputation beyond reputech2016 has a reputation beyond reputech2016 has a reputation beyond repute

So I'm guessing the two bits of the story are somewhat unrelated but combine to create a bit of a perfect storm: No funds and nowhere to live.
I think he should spend his energy on finding a way back to the UK rather than living homeless in the US for a few months. Norwegian Air have some cheap flights, especially if travelling light and don't need to check a bag. They fly out of Providence, Boston and Bradley Airport (in Connecticut).
Old Jun 26th 2018, 9:21 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Obviously has some flexibility on timing all though sooner rather than later, cheapest flight quickest would be the way to go.
Old Jun 30th 2018, 2:08 am
Forum Regular

watchamacallit has a spectacular aura aboutwatchamacallit has a spectacular aura aboutwatchamacallit has a spectacular aura about

I seriously think if he contacted Virgin Atlantic in the UK, not the US offices and told them the problem they would help him, unlike other airlines they seem compassionate about such things, they helped me many years ago when my dad died at Christmas and we didn't have the money to buy tickets, not only did the reduce the cost by huge amounts we were also given open tickets. I am not condoning begging but in this situation t seems to be a good thing to at least try.
I wish him luck.

It has just come to my mind that if he is here on a 90 day permit he must have a return ticket surely ?
Old Jun 30th 2018, 5:18 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by watchamacallit
I seriously think if he contacted Virgin Atlantic in the UK, not the US offices and told them the problem they would help him, unlike other airlines they seem compassionate about such things, they helped me many years ago when my dad died at Christmas and we didn't have the money to buy tickets, not only did the reduce the cost by huge amounts we were also given open tickets. I am not condoning begging but in this situation t seems to be a good thing to at least try.
I wish him luck.
That is so compassionate.

It has just come to my mind that if he is here on a 90 day permit he must have a return ticket surely ?
A few have pointed this out. Hopefully the OP can confirm.
Old Jul 2nd 2018, 3:41 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Homeless in RI

Years ago when I was working as a Civil Servant in England, there was a guy in our office who began asking if we had any change for cigarettes...ok at first but then really irritating as it became a constant request to everyone in the office. He was also turning up at work earlier than he usually did and spending quite a lot of time in the (individual) any gender restroom cubicle.

After about a month, we were notified that he’d been admitted to hospital with pneumonia. It turned out that his wife had kicked him out and he’d been living in a tent near the office and was coming in early to have a strip down wash. Fortunately he got his life back on track.

Old Jul 3rd 2018, 10:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by notaclue
He is the one and only visa holder - I think it's an L1B but he is over here until October and has an EAD in progress I believe. He is here himself and correct, sister and her spouse kicked him out. Sorry about the sparsity of information, I don't know the full and exact circumstances.

Well he certainly is NOT on an L1B if here only until October and having EAD in progress.
Old Jul 4th 2018, 6:20 pm
Forum Regular

watchamacallit has a spectacular aura aboutwatchamacallit has a spectacular aura aboutwatchamacallit has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Years ago when I was working as a Civil Servant in England, there was a guy in our office who began asking if we had any change for cigarettes...ok at first but then really irritating as it became a constant request to everyone in the office. He was also turning up at work earlier than he usually did and spending quite a lot of time in the (individual) any gender restroom cubicle.

After about a month, we were notified that he’d been admitted to hospital with pneumonia. It turned out that his wife had kicked him out and he’d been living in a tent near the office and was coming in early to have a strip down wash. Fortunately he got his life back on track.

That is so sad, I have seen so many things like this over my lifetime.