Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Home Ownership Is Mayhem

Home Ownership Is Mayhem

Old Dec 7th 2019, 1:36 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Home Ownership Is Mayhem

We rent from a large developer now so its less likely to happen, but I rented from an individual landlord once always paid the rent, but they didn't pay the mortgage and it was a mess as the bank foreclosed and had no idea it was rented, I try to only rent from large management companies now, less risk...

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I see your point SD (I'm a landlord too). I just think that 10 days overdue rent = actual eviction is going way too far. If a landlord is cutting it so close to the bone that they can't afford to wait a couple of weeks for the rent, then that's a worry.
Old Dec 7th 2019, 3:30 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I went over to the house yesterday to intercept an amazon delivery that arrived far earlier than anticipated and the construction is gone. Everything is in now, including our mailbox.

Now to go and spend about $1,000 putting blinds in the place!
Old Dec 7th 2019, 3:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
I went over to the house yesterday to intercept an amazon delivery that arrived far earlier than anticipated and the construction is gone. Everything is in now, including our mailbox.

Now to go and spend about $1,000 putting blinds in the place!
They may not be to your taste but I installed vertical blinds from Lowes in my new house,
Lowes can custom cut the upper mechanical part if required and the vertical blind portion comes in various colors and textures. We like them much better than the horizontal cord type and not too expensive.
Old Dec 7th 2019, 3:54 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ddsrph

They may not be to your taste but I installed vertical blinds from Lowes in my new house,
Lowes can custom cut the upper mechanical part if required and the vertical blind portion comes in various colors and textures. We like them much better than the horizontal cord type and not too expensive.
I'll give you one word..... cat

We have to do horizontal blinds so he can put his head through them and look out, he would probably climb vertical ones.It's the same reason we don't do curtains.
Old Dec 7th 2019, 4:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

We have to do horizontal blinds so he can put his head through them and look out, he would probably climb vertical ones.It's the same reason we don't do curtains.
We have same problem with two cats. We have found the hanging vertical type are easier for them to push aside to look out than the horizontal with the cords. They are too slick and swing so they have never tried to climb.
Old Dec 7th 2019, 5:48 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

My sister's gated community has a HOA and they don't mind paying it at all. The HOA fee gives them cable television with landline and internet, and security system. All ground work is done, i.e. mowing, pruning, edging, etc.

Even though her's was a new construction to their specifications, within 3 years of purchase the washer and dryer had to be replaced and the dishwasher and no the original home warranty had expired. Replacement was at their expense.

We found the small amount we pay annually for our American Shield Home Warranty is money well spent. We had an inground pipe collapse and the tile flooring in the laundry room, kitchen and dining room had to be removed and replaced so the pipe could be repaired. The cost to us was $75. We've used it several times and all we need to pay was the $75 fee.
Old Dec 8th 2019, 2:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
I believe he's referring to Canada, not the US. But in most US states you can get an eviction notice within days of failing the pay rent due. But the reality is that the court process that eventually leads to a bailiff showing up at the door to physically remove you can take several months.
I bought a condo in San Francisco way back in 1985. The condo was occupied by two renters - two well-heeled professionals. Even though I wanted to move in myself (as my primary residence), I still went through months of hassles, having to hire a lawyer, in order to get these two renters out. They claimed they had a 'verbal contract' with the former owner - which the former owners denied, and for which there was zero proof - and eventually I resorted to paying them off because I couldn't wait any longer, which is of course what they were expecting all along. I'd already sold my former home and was sleeping on the floor of my buddy's home at the time. This was 1985, and I'm sure it's only become more renter-friendly.
Old Dec 8th 2019, 5:09 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Here the situation you describe if the tenants are on a month to month, 2 months notice is required, and tenants either get the last month rent free or the landlord has to provide compensation equal to one month rent.

If the tenants are on a fixed term lease, the tenants have the legal right to stay until the end of the lease.

When a rental property sells, the tenancy agreement between landlord and tenants transfers to the new owner and the new owner has to follow all the normal rules to end tenancy.

Many landlords when they sell a rental property, will wait until their tenants move and then sell, or will do all the steps to end tenancy so when they put it on the market its empty, as showing/doing open houses with tenants is difficult and realtors hate it.

No need for a lawyer though here, the system here is designed so people can't do it easily on their own, lawyer would just be a waste of money, they can't speed anything up at the Residential Tenancy Branch who does the arbitration in disputes, tenancy disputes don't go to court generally.

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I bought a condo in San Francisco way back in 1985. The condo was occupied by two renters - two well-heeled professionals. Even though I wanted to move in myself (as my primary residence), I still went through months of hassles, having to hire a lawyer, in order to get these two renters out. They claimed they had a 'verbal contract' with the former owner - which the former owners denied, and for which there was zero proof - and eventually I resorted to paying them off because I couldn't wait any longer, which is of course what they were expecting all along. I'd already sold my former home and was sleeping on the floor of my buddy's home at the time. This was 1985, and I'm sure it's only become more renter-friendly.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Dec 8th 2019 at 5:13 pm.
Old Dec 9th 2019, 2:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Here the situation you describe if the tenants are on a month to month, 2 months notice is required, and tenants either get the last month rent free or the landlord has to provide compensation equal to one month rent.

If the tenants are on a fixed term lease, the tenants have the legal right to stay until the end of the lease.

When a rental property sells, the tenancy agreement between landlord and tenants transfers to the new owner and the new owner has to follow all the normal rules to end tenancy.

Many landlords when they sell a rental property, will wait until their tenants move and then sell, or will do all the steps to end tenancy so when they put it on the market its empty, as showing/doing open houses with tenants is difficult and realtors hate it.

No need for a lawyer though here, the system here is designed so people can't do it easily on their own, lawyer would just be a waste of money, they can't speed anything up at the Residential Tenancy Branch who does the arbitration in disputes, tenancy disputes don't go to court generally.
In my case, the property had been owner-occupied for a long time and the owner died. The 'estate' (family) chose - unwisely - to rent it out short-term while going through the process of settling the estate - and that's why there was no lease. I even recall a written 'month-to-month' agreement. But the renters boldly claimed to have a verbal lease over and above the written document. In this day and age, you'd think that would be laughed at, but that was what they claimed and I was forced to start the process of evicting them. In the end we 'negotiated' a move out date (I paid them off) because the eviction process in San Francisco was slow.
Old Dec 9th 2019, 3:11 am
Account Closed

Written agreement is the only way for both parties to protect their interests. Most likely what would happen here is it would go to arbitration if no written lease but I have never encountered that issue, I always get everything in writing.

One thing landlords here skip often and don't realize it bites the in the rear is they don't do walk through on move in with the tenant for any pre-existing damage/issues without doing that the landlord has no case for the most part because they can't prove the tenant did the damage and not a previous one, its one thing that can really hurt a landlord if they don't follow the rules to the letter.

Originally Posted by Steerpike
In my case, the property had been owner-occupied for a long time and the owner died. The 'estate' (family) chose - unwisely - to rent it out short-term while going through the process of settling the estate - and that's why there was no lease. I even recall a written 'month-to-month' agreement. But the renters boldly claimed to have a verbal lease over and above the written document. In this day and age, you'd think that would be laughed at, but that was what they claimed and I was forced to start the process of evicting them. In the end we 'negotiated' a move out date (I paid them off) because the eviction process in San Francisco was slow.
Old Dec 9th 2019, 2:34 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmmm, I've cats (multiple cats at one time) and never had anyone of them climb curtains and/or vertical blinds. Not having curtains appears to be the way young designers go these days so you will be doing the in thing.

Question: In the pictures you posted, it shows siding on what appears to be a chimney. Is it a chimney for a fireplace, wood stock, furnace, etc? Why would the builder cover it with siding? Most unusual.
Old Dec 9th 2019, 3:19 pm
Often not so civil...

Question: In the pictures you posted, it shows siding on what appears to be a chimney. Is it a chimney for a fireplace, wood stock, furnace, etc? Why would the builder cover it with siding? Most unusual.
It's a fireplace chimney - the chimney itself is almost all wood on the outside, with the inside being made of some sort of fire retardant metal (I'm not sure what)

I honestly wasn't aware that siding a chimney was unusual, and now you've made me curious. I'll ask the builder about it during the walk through tomorrow!
Old Dec 9th 2019, 3:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It's a fireplace chimney - the chimney itself is almost all wood on the outside, with the inside being made of some sort of fire retardant metal (I'm not sure what)

I honestly wasn't aware that siding a chimney was unusual, and now you've made me curious. I'll ask the builder about it during the walk through tomorrow!
Is it a 'real' fireplace, as in wood- (or coal-) burning? These days, lots of homes get 'gas log' fireplaces. These are much lower in temperature and don't need as much 'attention'.
Old Dec 9th 2019, 3:46 pm
Often not so civil...

Nope it's an open 'real' wood burning fireplace.

I don't intend to use it unless we have power outages - which are not infrequent in the winter here in the south.
Old Dec 9th 2019, 5:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Nope it's an open 'real' wood burning fireplace.

I don't intend to use it unless we have power outages - which are not infrequent in the winter here in the south.
Buy a fire extinguisher ! I had a real wood burning fireplace at my home in CA, and I loved it. On more than one occasion, I got a bit carried away and put too many logs on the fire. Once they are in, and burning, there's not a whole lot you can do about it! I remember watching the flames roaring up the chimney, and going outside to watch what was happening at the chimney top ... lots of 'sparks' were flying out (burning embers). Nothing bad ever happened but I do recall getting quite concerned!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.