Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Home Ownership Is Mayhem

Home Ownership Is Mayhem

Old Oct 30th 2019, 12:35 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Home Ownership Is Mayhem

.... and you're on the hook for 30 years

So my fellow US peeps, I am about to buy my first house in the US. It's a new construction, so will not have the usual problems of age, but will have it's own challenges I'm sure as they house settles and sets itself after the construction is completed.

I have never owned a house before - so what do I need to know to do/look out for/maintain as tightly as possible so that I don't cost myself an arm and several legs over the next few decades?

What do you wish you knew when you bought a house?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by civilservant; Oct 30th 2019 at 12:49 pm.
Old Oct 30th 2019, 12:45 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Home Ownership Is Mayhem

Originally Posted by civilservant
.... and you're on the hook for 30 years

So my fellow US peeps, I am about to buy my first house in the US. It's a new construction, so will not have the usual problems of age, but will have it's own challenges I'm sure as they house settles and sets itself after the construction is completed.

I have never owned a house before - so what do I need to know to do/look our for/maintain as tightly as possible so that I don't cost myself an arm and several legs over the next few decades?

What do you wish you knew when you bought a house?

Thanks in advance!
Obviously I have no advice on US property, just wanted to congratulate you! Wishing you many happy decades in your new home
Old Oct 30th 2019, 12:58 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

What do I wish I knew when buying a home? Don't get one with a pool..

If new construction then you should be ok maintenance wise, we budget $100 a month for household upkeep. 1970 home, always seems to be something that needs fixing.

We skipped the whole 30 year mortgage, went for 15 years. Paid off and done.
Old Oct 30th 2019, 1:01 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

No pool here.... a pool in GA would mean family wanting to come and use it, and I don't like uninvited guests at the best of times
Old Oct 30th 2019, 2:19 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Check for flood zones! Although with it being new I'm sure that was checked beforehand.
Congratulations on your new home, enjoy!
Old Oct 30th 2019, 4:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

With new construction I would also add do you know what else is going to be 'constructed' around you? Is the neighboring land already zoned for something?
Old Oct 30th 2019, 4:35 pm
Often not so civil...

It's a subdivision, the plat shows the partitions and the other houses are also under construction. The land that the house (and indeed, the subdivison) backs on to over 200 acres of undisturbed woodland owned by a friend of mine. That land has been in his family for over 70 years.

So nothing unexpected will be 'constructed'
Old Oct 30th 2019, 6:18 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat096 is an unknown quantity at this point

It's a nice headache to have though.

Judging the amount of excitement on social media I think it would be too late to back out now
Old Oct 30th 2019, 6:21 pm
JJ123

Jamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond reputeJamackabi has a reputation beyond repute

What do I wish I knew? I wish I knew that the next door neighbors didn't have several small, yappy dogs that find absolutely any and all reason to bark as loud as they can 24 hours a day. It's ridiculous. I work from home full time now and all I hear is those bloody dogs all day. The owners have a dog flap, so they go in and out of the house all day and bark anytime if even a leaf blows past their house. If you hadn't guessed it already, I am not a dog person.
Old Oct 30th 2019, 6:56 pm
Often not so civil...

Originally Posted by Phathamster
It's a nice headache to have though.

Judging the amount of excitement on social media I think it would be too late to back out now
Indeed! As you might have noticed though, it isn't me posting it!

I keep telling her to calm down and when we actually have the keys we can celebrate... but alas that's a losing battle!

I wish I knew that the next door neighbors didn't have several small, yappy dogs that find absolutely any and all reason to bark as loud as they can 24 hours a day.
Hum. That's a good idea. Perhaps I'll take a trip through there at 11 at night just to see what's going on.
Old Oct 30th 2019, 8:22 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jamackabi
What do I wish I knew? I wish I knew that the next door neighbors didn't have several small, yappy dogs that find absolutely any and all reason to bark as loud as they can 24 hours a day. It's ridiculous. I work from home full time now and all I hear is those bloody dogs all day. The owners have a dog flap, so they go in and out of the house all day and bark anytime if even a leaf blows past their house. If you hadn't guessed it already, I am not a dog person.
Dogs can 'disappear' Had a friend in Plymouth, Devon with the same issue.
He was moved to a night shift, dog was relocated to the middle of Dartmore.
Old Oct 30th 2019, 8:49 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

If it is a new sub division does it have an HOA. If so make sure to read, understand and know what is allowed, and what isn't.
Old Oct 30th 2019, 8:50 pm
Often not so civil...

No HOA
Old Oct 31st 2019, 12:26 am
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

If the builder had earlier projects in the area it might be a good idea to talk with residents of those developments. If other options available a older house could be a better choice to a new build. A new build usually has zero landscaping and smaller lots. Built with land, labor and materials at todays rates versus 20 year in the past rates. If buying an older house a knowledgeable advisor/inspector is important. I like large lots with maximum privacy something hard to
find with new builds.
Old Oct 31st 2019, 1:03 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
It's a subdivision, the plat shows the partitions and the other houses are also under construction. The land that the house (and indeed, the subdivison) backs on to over 200 acres of undisturbed woodland owned by a friend of mine. That land has been in his family for over 70 years.

So nothing unexpected will be 'constructed'
Congrats!
So it is still under construction? You have been inside or just seen plans?
either way expect lots of 'snagging. Doors hung. On wrong side, countertop not flat, wrong carpet, roof leak. Should be warranty stuff, be on good terms with the builder!. My mate recently bought a townhouse in Tampa and had most of those.

look out for drainage /rain water runoff and where it might come from uphill if they haven't had a good storm yet. Worse if flat like my place, even though not in flood zone.
best of luck😀

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.