Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Home Ownership Is Mayhem

Home Ownership Is Mayhem

Old Dec 4th 2019, 3:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Home Ownership Is Mayhem

Originally Posted by civilservant
15 year is not available with the loan program we're using. That said, I'm intending to get it paid off in about 18 years.
(I'm sure you know this, as you are in finance. I mention it for the benefit of others who may be reading)

Getting a 30-year mortgage and paying it off in, say, 18 years may be a much better idea than getting a 15-year mortgage because in the former case, the extra payments are VOLUNTARY; if you fall on hard times, you can reduce your payments to the minimum (30-year) without penalty until your circumstances improve. With a 15-year, if you can't make the higher payments you are in trouble very quickly. The only downside of this approach is, most cases, a 15-year mortgage often has a more attractive rate. So a 15-year is a better deal but ONLY if you are really comfortable making the higher payments, and can sustain those payments through a lengthy period of unemployment.

In reality, almost no-one ever keeps their original mortgage; people either move, re-finance, or pay-off as circumstances change. Apparently the average holding period is about 10 years - which sounds high to me. I've had mortgages on numerous properties over the years since 1985 and I'd say 5 years was my max holding time. I just looked at my old paperwork (now scanned on my computer) and my first loan in 1985 was for $103k with an interest rate of 10.5% !!!!!
Old Dec 4th 2019, 4:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

TexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Getting a 30-year mortgage and paying it off in, say, 18 years may be a much better idea than getting a 15-year mortgage because in the former case, the extra payments are VOLUNTARY; if you fall on hard times, you can reduce your payments to the minimum (30-year) without penalty until your circumstances improve. With a 15-year, if you can't make the higher payments you are in trouble very quickly.
My other half and I are looking at consolidating our households in the next year or so, and that's been my thinking too.
I'd much rather have the flexibility of overpaying a 30yr as if it was a 15yr, knowing that we can flex the payments back down if one of us were to lose our jobs.

The interest rate may not be as good as you point out, but having that extra comfort flexibility is well worth it IMO.
Old Dec 4th 2019, 5:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TexanScot
My other half and I are looking at consolidating our households in the next year or so, and that's been my thinking too.
I'd much rather have the flexibility of overpaying a 30yr as if it was a 15yr, knowing that we can flex the payments back down if one of us were to lose our jobs.

The interest rate may not be as good as you point out, but having that extra comfort flexibility is well worth it IMO.
Similar reasoning applies to paying off a mortgage also. As your mortgage 'ages', and your income increases, it's tempting to pay off the mortgage to eliminate the monthly payment. But if you use up all your 'spare cash' to pay off a mortgage, then fall on hard times, that 'spare cash' could come in use. Obviously, a lot of factors come into play, but something to consider.
Old Dec 5th 2019, 2:24 am
BE Enthusiast

sid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond repute

My experience of buying in the US is that house inspection here is far more thorough.

In the UK, getting a house surveyed involves a guy turning up in suit, tie, and clipboard, having a walk around and not really inspecting anything much. You pay several hundred pounds to receive a report full of disclaimers that various areas have not been inspected due to eg. floor coverings cannot be lifted, plus a valuation lifted off rightmove's website. Caveat Emptor.

Here in the US, a guy that looks like a building contractor turns up, goes everywhere, straps on knee protectors for under floor inspection in the crawlspace, goes up on the roof. I went with him underfloor and on the roof, so I know he is thorough. I receive a detailed report with all minor faults photoed in fine detail. Cost $250 with a discount for immediate payment. And That is how it should be done.

OP: You are lucky to be buying a new house, so it may be a few years before learning more than you ever wanted to about grouting, plumbing, painting, and so on and so on.

Old Dec 6th 2019, 12:11 am
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
.... and you're on the hook for 30 years

So my fellow US peeps, I am about to buy my first house in the US. It's a new construction, so will not have the usual problems of age, but will have it's own challenges I'm sure as they house settles and sets itself after the construction is completed.

I have never owned a house before - so what do I need to know to do/look out for/maintain as tightly as possible so that I don't cost myself an arm and several legs over the next few decades?

What do you wish you knew when you bought a house?

Thanks in advance!
I didn't know much of anything when I bought my first flat in London at age 25. Then my first house in the US age 33. The best moves of every made. Now I'm retired no worries having to pay rent and pretty good nest egg if I ever have to downsize.
Good luck, never met anyone who was sorry they bought their own home.
Old Dec 6th 2019, 1:46 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

That was one of the biggest reasons I always wanted to own, so I didn't have to pay obscene rent in old age when I can no longer work, not like the government pension plan provides sufficient funds to actually live on in old age.

Banks are also a bit more generous if you hit bad times before they foreclose and kick you out, where when renting at least here 10 days no rent payment out on the street you go.

Originally Posted by johnwoo
I didn't know much of anything when I bought my first flat in London at age 25. Then my first house in the US age 33. The best moves of every made. Now I'm retired no worries having to pay rent and pretty good nest egg if I ever have to downsize.
Good luck, never met anyone who was sorry they bought their own home.
Old Dec 6th 2019, 2:11 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
That was one of the biggest reasons I always wanted to own, so I didn't have to pay obscene rent in old age when I can no longer work, not like the government pension plan provides sufficient funds to actually live on in old age.

Banks are also a bit more generous if you hit bad times before they foreclose and kick you out, where when renting at least here 10 days no rent payment out on the street you go.
10 days?? That's harsh
Old Dec 6th 2019, 3:20 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
10 days?? That's harsh
It's pretty strict when it comes to non-payment of rent. If late on rent the landlord issues a 10 day notice of eviction, if rent is paid in full within 5 calendar days, the notice is cancelled and tenancy continues.

Tenants who are desperate and have nowhere to go can delay the inevitable a bit by filing a dispute resolution but if you haven't paid the rent your going to lose the dispute resolution and possibly end up owing more in the end.

Renting offers little stability in housing here, thankfully they closed the lease loophole that used to exist. Before it was closed, landlords could add a move out clause in the lease, so tenant only had 2 options at the end of the lease, move, or renegotiate the lease and likely much higher rent due to how fast rent climbs here, now at the end of a lease is goes month to month.

I am not sure if our landlords like us being here so long, we pay a good $500 less per month vs what this unit could be rented for, but the max they can raise our rent is 2.4% due to rent controls. But that shows how fast rents climbed in 3 years.

Old Dec 6th 2019, 12:49 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Yes we're excited, only 10 days away from closing at this point and the final walk through with the contractor is next Tuesday.

It's only been since 9/15, but it seems like an age since we signed the contracts and I feel like I've been working on this for the last 18 months. Ready for it to be over!
Old Dec 6th 2019, 7:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

10 days?? That's harsh
The USA is a harsh society. In it's treatment of the poor and less the fortunate..

Old Dec 6th 2019, 7:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

10 days?? That's harsh
I believe he's referring to Canada, not the US. But in most US states you can get an eviction notice within days of failing the pay rent due. But the reality is that the court process that eventually leads to a bailiff showing up at the door to physically remove you can take several months.
Old Dec 6th 2019, 7:40 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by johnwoo
The USA is a harsh society. In it's treatment of the poor and less the fortunate..
Originally Posted by Giantaxe
I believe he's referring to Canada, not the US. But in most US states you can get an eviction notice within days of failing the pay rent due. But the reality is that the court process that eventually leads to a bailiff showing up at the door to physically remove you can take several months.
Yes British Columbia.

If you wanted to you could draw it out a bit, but non-payment of rent is cause of eviction and you will lose at the residential tenancy arbitration, wont buy too much time, but some people game the system that way.
Old Dec 6th 2019, 8:12 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

10 days?? That's harsh
That depends on how you look at it, if the landlord has a mortgage on the property or rely on the rental income then they may not be able to afford to leave it any longer.
Old Dec 6th 2019, 11:10 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Yep, I knew JS was referring to Canada. Another poster mentioned the US.
The US process sounds quite like that in Oz.
Old Dec 6th 2019, 11:17 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer
That depends on how you look at it, if the landlord has a mortgage on the property or rely on the rental income then they may not be able to afford to leave it any longer.
I see your point SD (I'm a landlord too). I just think that 10 days overdue rent = actual eviction is going way too far. If a landlord is cutting it so close to the bone that they can't afford to wait a couple of weeks for the rent, then that's a worry.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.