Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Home and garden projects

Home and garden projects

Old Apr 30th 2019, 12:58 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Home and garden projects

Originally Posted by tom169
Surely the most offensive part is mentioning calling a repair man?
Well it certainly didn't help my mood!
Originally Posted by zzrmark
Mr P married his mother? …..
Haven't you been in the US long enough to notice how Mother's Day works? Go take a look at the cards section of your local grocery - you will find that Mother's day cards are like birthday cards, with various wording "to wife", "to sister", "to daughter", etc. It is commercialization run riot!
…. OP has some patience, my first reply would have been 'I'll look at it when I get home', my missus doesn't comprehend texsplaining!
Honestly, that would have been mine too. My other half would have been fine with that response.
I think the alternative would have been to face arriving home to find one already bought, delivered, and awaiting installation, …. by yours truly of course.
Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Mr P, it is OBVIOUS that she wants a new dishwasher and mother's day is only a couple of weeks away.....
You are not helping!

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 30th 2019 at 1:01 am.
Old May 5th 2019, 2:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone ever installed windows or entry doors themselves? Is it really difficult, or not worth the trouble?
Old May 5th 2019, 2:58 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Has anyone ever installed windows or entry doors themselves? Is it really difficult, or not worth the trouble?
I have no doubt I could, but always fear getting part way through the project and then either needing to go back to Lowe's for more parts, or worse still, running out of time at the end of the day and having a gaping hole in the shell of my home and needing to eat and/or sleep, means that I have always engaged a contractor for replacing windows.

Swapping out a door in an existing frame would be a different proposition as at least you should be able to swap the old door back in again fairly easily if the new door was causing problems. I have installed new interior doors, both in a "new build" situation, i.e. inserting a pre-hung door into a new stud wall, and added a door to an existing doorway (specifically to close off the laundry area, containin the noise), and I'll tell you that installing a door is one of the trickiest things to do really well, as the scope for it not hanging straight, not closing properly, wanting to swing open, or closed, is almost unlimited! So only attempt if you are fairly experienced in DIY and home improvements.

Last edited by Pulaski; May 5th 2019 at 3:48 pm.
Old May 5th 2019, 3:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

When I built my house 3 years ago I installed all the windows and doors. There are a lot of pitfalls but I found utube videos to be very helpful. It is especially important to use water proofing products to allow condensation to drain properly. I would recommend watching several videos by professional installers to decide if it is something you feel comfortable with.
Old May 5th 2019, 6:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Dunno if this classes as a project, as I’m not doing any of it LOL. Been in the house 6 years, wife’s been here 9. Only now are we both earning well enough to finally be able to chuck some decent money into the house. Starting with the kitchen that was full of leaks, dodgy wiring and cupboard doors hanging off. Whoever either had the house before or built it in the first place took a tone of short cuts as there was loads of illegal wiring everywhere. It’s taken them a week just to fix all the illegal and down right dodgy background stuff LOL.

Old May 5th 2019, 8:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I have no doubt I could, but always fear getting part way through the project and then either needing to go back to Lowe's for more parts, or worse still, running out of time at the end of the day and having a gaping hole in the shell of my home and needing to eat and/or sleep, means that I have always engaged a contractor for replacing windows.

Swapping out a door in an existing frame would be a different proposition as at least you should be able to swap the old door back in again fairly easily if the new door was causing problems. I have installed new interior doors, both in a "new build" situation, i.e. inserting a pre-hung door into a new stud wall, and added a door to an existing doorway (specifically to close off the laundry area, containin the noise), and I'll tell you that installing a door is one of the trickiest things to do really well, as the scope for it not hanging straight, not closing properly, wanting to swing open, or closed, is almost unlimited! So only attempt if you are fairly experienced in DIY and home improvements.
I'm in two minds about it for that reason. If I have a problem it's not like I want to leave a gaping hole in the exterior.

Originally Posted by ddsrph
When I built my house 3 years ago I installed all the windows and doors. There are a lot of pitfalls but I found utube videos to be very helpful. It is especially important to use water proofing products to allow condensation to drain properly. I would recommend watching several videos by professional installers to decide if it is something you feel comfortable with.
thanks.
Old May 5th 2019, 8:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in two minds about it for that reason. If I have a problem it's not like I want to leave a gaping hole in the exterior.

thanks.
I hold the same opinion as Pulaski. I have a couple exterior doors to replace some point in the coming years and I certainly won't be doing it myself for these reasons.
Old May 5th 2019, 8:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markonline1
Dunno if this classes as a project, as I’m not doing any of it LOL. Been in the house 6 years, wife’s been here 9. Only now are we both earning well enough to finally be able to chuck some decent money into the house. Starting with the kitchen that was full of leaks, dodgy wiring and cupboard doors hanging off. Whoever either had the house before or built it in the first place took a tone of short cuts as there was loads of illegal wiring everywhere. It’s taken them a week just to fix all the illegal and down right dodgy background stuff LOL.

Wow, going to be nice when it's done. You'll have to post some after photos!
Old May 5th 2019, 9:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Even if you decide to have it done it would be a good idea to learn as much as possible about the best way to it. That’s my feeling on any home improvement project. I am a DIY person for many reasons not the least of which is a distrust of contractors. With the resources available today a conscientious homeowner can do a equal or better job than many so called professionals.
Old May 5th 2019, 9:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, going to be nice when it's done. You'll have to post some after photos!
Thanks. I will.
Old May 5th 2019, 9:30 pm

The differences with new-build are (i) you're starting off with a "gaping hole" anyway, and (ii) you know how big the rough opening is, you're not tearing the window casing apart to get into the wall to measure the rough opening.
Old May 5th 2019, 10:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pulaski
The differences with new-build are (i) you're starting off with a "gaping hole" anyway, and (ii) you know how big the rough opening is, you're not tearing the window casing apart to get into the wall to measure the rough opening.
Replacement windows is definitely harder. Also older windows may be an odd size requiring a custom made window. It’s probably not a job for a first time do it yourselfer. Maybe do one window as a test case before committing to the whole project.
Old May 6th 2019, 12:45 am

Replacement windows is definitely harder. Also older windows may be an odd size requiring a custom made window. It’s probably not a job for a first time do it yourselfer. Maybe do one window as a test case before committing to the whole project.
I paid a local handyman. He charged $100/window and I considered it money well spent.
Old May 6th 2019, 2:59 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

As with everything in life it all depends on what you're starting with, the reliability of the guy in charge of measuring and the installers ability.
Hanging doors and windows in manufactured homes is definitely one of the more challenging jobs, as the blasted things tend to settle over time and you can be left with off-square holes in walls that pitch in or out and not be straight.
Brick builds tend to be easier, strip the render/drywall from a few spots on the side you are going to take it out from to make measurement taking more accurate. Make sure you have access to a decent hammer drill with assorted bits/spades and fastenings before you start, US stores seem to have good return policies so better to start with more than you need rather than less. Wedges and a few wood offcuts can also be helpful. Get an early start and get the old one out as quickly as you can. Or find a pro...

Edit: A well stocked tool kit helps. Compressor, nail gun, reciprocating saw, radio, etc

Last edited by zzrmark; May 6th 2019 at 3:01 am.
Old May 6th 2019, 3:04 am

Originally Posted by zzrmark
.... Hanging doors and windows in manufactured American homes is definitely one of the more challenging jobs, as the blasted things tend to settle over time and you can be left with off-square holes in walls that pitch in or out and not be straight. ....
FIFY!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.