Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Home and garden projects

Home and garden projects

Old Apr 14th 2018, 5:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Home and garden projects

Originally Posted by ddsrph
ZZ
Maybe you could give me some advice. My house and roof is new, about two years old. Trusses are on two foot centers with 5/8 osb with clips. Roof is simple gable ends with asphalt singles on 6/12 pitch. Before it gets in need of replacement and I get too old to do it myself I would like to replace with metal shingle look panels. They are steel 24 or 26 ga. and come in pieces about 48 long 12 to 18 wide. Not sure of exact size. I would work my way up from bottom removing only enough shingles that I could replace in a day and therefore avoid rain problems. You use a starter strip at bottom and the panels interlock as you move upward. Are you familiar with these? What would you recommend that I could install in a similar fashion.
Sorry, no idea, I'm not a 'proper' roofer and have no idea what options are available on this side of the pond. I've cut roofs in the UK and done slate and concrete coverings but here I've only tinkered with shingle roofs, nearly all the roofs I do are aluminium.
Personally, I don't like galvanised steel roofs, they rot out fairly quickly (in roof lifespan terms), last longer than shingles but that's not saying much!
I have a 15 degree (ish) roof originally shingle with coated aluminium panels overlaid, which is well suited to Florida and it's occasional gusts of wind and whilst I think people are mad to overlay leaking shingles I'd be more than happy to overlay a metal covering on a good roof. You could leave your shingle roof in place and go straight over the top just don't leave unfinished top edges unprotected from weather.
Are your gables vertical or on a 45 degree pitch like the rest of the roof? Getting ridge caps right is the critical bit.
Old Apr 14th 2018, 7:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zzrmark
Sorry, no idea, I'm not a 'proper' roofer and have no idea what options are available on this side of the pond. I've cut roofs in the UK and done slate and concrete coverings but here I've only tinkered with shingle roofs, nearly all the roofs I do are aluminium.
Personally, I don't like galvanised steel roofs, they rot out fairly quickly (in roof lifespan terms), last longer than shingles but that's not saying much!
I have a 15 degree (ish) roof originally shingle with coated aluminium panels overlaid, which is well suited to Florida and it's occasional gusts of wind and whilst I think people are mad to overlay leaking shingles I'd be more than happy to overlay a metal covering on a good roof. You could leave your shingle roof in place and go straight over the top just don't leave unfinished top edges unprotected from weather.
Are your gables vertical or on a 45 degree pitch like the rest of the roof? Getting ridge caps right is the critical bit.
My gables are vertical. Where your aluminum panels long from gutter to peak like a lot of the painted steel you see ? Whatever I do I want to be able to do it myself unless I just wait and have re-shingled someday. Leaving good shingles in place would be desirable from the standpoint of not having to be in a hurry to get the job finished to avoid water leakage.
Old Apr 14th 2018, 11:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

My gables are vertical. Where your aluminum panels long from gutter to peak like a lot of the painted steel you see ? Whatever I do I want to be able to do it myself unless I just wait and have re-shingled someday. Leaving good shingles in place would be desirable from the standpoint of not having to be in a hurry to get the job finished to avoid water leakage.
Each panel is a single length, 12" wide, previous owner's contractor will have had them ordered to length and probably delivered to site. We have pans delivered up to 30' long, not too tricky to handle as the stuff we use for work have 3" risers either side, the stuff on my roof just has overlapping ridges - easy enough to fit but they flex so easily you have to be careful not to crease them whilst putting in place. Good thing is it's only a short day's work to fit that kind of stuff to a stage where the roof is completely watertight.
Old Apr 15th 2018, 1:01 am
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

I just read the aluminum is popular in Florida due to the salt water. Here in Tennessee the painted galvalume is much more common and seems to work well. I will probably go with full length standing seam or take the easy way out and have it reshingled in about 15 years.
Old Apr 15th 2018, 1:11 am
BE Forum Addict

I just read the aluminum is popular in Florida due to the salt water. Here in Tennessee the painted galvalume is much more common and seems to work well. I will probably go with full length standing seam or take the easy way out and have it reshingled in about 15 years.
Not sure where you read that, we don't often get hightide washing our rooftops (yet) and if the salt air thing was a problem then all our cars would rot out - as it is, a Floridian will advise you never to buy a Northern car because winter salt will have taken it's toll...

Floridians appreciate a metal roof, incomers like the shingles, I'd go with whichever your target audience is most likely to prefer when the house is next put on the market.
Old Apr 15th 2018, 2:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Go with a thatched roof
But seriously I would love to go with a thatched roof, even though everyone else would find i whimsical or just plain weird.

Modern design below.

Versus the softer edges of the classic

Started liking the thatched roofs after getting lightly familiar with it through my Railway Modelling hobby. Went to the Cotswold village of Long Wittenham over 20 years ago to check out a famous Model Railway museum.
Old Apr 15th 2018, 9:27 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Marc_ely
In all the years I lived in the UK I never once heard of anyone replacing the roof of their house. Well maybe one guy, but it was thatched.

Yet over here I see regular conversations on the nextdoor site about replacing their roof. And not just shingle roofs, but ones made of clay/concrete tiles too!

Is this because the houses are made of sticks where I live? If that's the case, then do the roofs on the houses over on the East coast made of brick last forever?

Just curious.
Around here, winter ice dams tend to knacker the roof and walls pretty fiercly which apart from storm damage is the main reason they get replaced. That and the weight of snow causes the roofs to flex and weaken quite badly.

Locally, the Brazilian crews are really impressive and can strip down a roof, put up new boards, sheets of weather proofing stuff and tiles within a weekend on quite a large house....mostly with out the use of any safety equipement...basically the only time you ever see someone using a harness, is when there's a pasty white person around and I've only seen one of those in a crew in the last few years around here.
Old Apr 22nd 2018, 11:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Ripped out hundreds ft of coax cable from a previous owners DirecTV. Such an eyesore with black cable against White siding and then draped across the attic.
Old Apr 23rd 2018, 12:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by tom169
Ripped out hundreds ft of coax cable from a previous owners DirecTV. Such an eyesore with black cable against White siding and then draped across the attic.
I did the same thing about six months ago. Despite removing at least four different sets of coax cable there are still at least two more buried under the driveway. Struck me as overkill for a property that is not yet thirty years old. One day I'll get around to removing all the coax sockets and internal cabling spread liberally throughout the insides of the house.
Old Apr 29th 2018, 12:35 pm
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

My sons lawn is 2 to 3 feet high and the mower needs work,, He is now that guy
Old Apr 29th 2018, 8:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Maste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond repute

First mowed lawn of the year in our garden. We appear to have pretty much skipped spring and gone straight into summer, which has annoyed as I was hoping for some mild spring days to work in the garden. Got a lot to do (digging up roots, turning soil to plant flowers and little bushes, and teach the dog not to eat everything!)
Old Apr 29th 2018, 8:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maste
First mowed lawn of the year in our garden. We appear to have pretty much skipped spring and gone straight into summer, which has annoyed as I was hoping for some mild spring days to work in the garden. Got a lot to do (digging up roots, turning soil to plant flowers and little bushes, and teach the dog not to eat everything!)
I've already had to go onto a weekly mowing schedule for the past month. I suspect it will be a couple times a week at the peak of summer.
Old Apr 30th 2018, 3:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Maste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
I've already had to go onto a weekly mowing schedule for the past month. I suspect it will be a couple times a week at the peak of summer.
Yeah, I think now we have the warm weather and the incoming random thunder showers due to the heat, I am probably going to be mowing every weekend too!
Old May 2nd 2018, 8:38 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Water ban, has already gone into affect, till September...
Old May 25th 2018, 1:55 am
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

After digging holes and planting 6 native shrubs, three native tree-lets, 24 summer bulbs, 5 baby herbs, and a few veg (that I sincerely hope the deer, chipmunks, groundhogs, et al. won't eat) over a span of two and a half days, I'm knackered, with sore muscles all over.

Spring! It always seduces me into buying too many garden plants. .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.