British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Home and garden projects (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/home-garden-projects-853397/)

OldJuddian Apr 17th 2017 4:07 am

Re: Home and garden projects

Exactly one year ago Spring was well underway in the PNW. My ferns were over a foot tall, the Japanese maples had all their leaves, the grasses were also tall. This year the extended Winter and numerous late snow storms combined with constant rain since October made the whole garden stay in hibernation. The ferns are just waking up the maples are budding and the grasses also starting to peek through. This was the first weekend this year that I could be in the garden both days without rain.

There is so much yard work, I haven't even chipped the branches brought down by the snow storms - let alone plant something nice.

Sheepdip Apr 17th 2017 1:41 pm

Just bought a house here and the rear yard (about 1/4 acre) is a blank canvas of grass apart from two mature pecan trees - no idea where to start yet but it's going to be fun!

Pulaski Apr 17th 2017 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by Sheepdip (Post 12230763)
Just bought a house here and the rear yard (about 1/4 acre) is a blank canvas of grass apart from two mature pecan trees - no idea where to start yet but it's going to be fun!

Two mature pecans on a quarter acre will surely limit your room and options because the tree roots will take much of the water and nutrients. Fresh pecans in the autumn will be nice though. :)

tom169 Apr 17th 2017 3:48 pm

On the con side I now don't close until May 9th. :(

On the pro I have found out there is a Hunter Pro C sprinkler system already installed. Another gadget to play with. :thumbsup:

Pulaski Apr 17th 2017 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by tom169 (Post 12230863)
..... On the pro I have found out there is a Hunter Pro C sprinkler system already installed. Another gadget to play with run up my water bill. ....

FIFY. :lol:

tom169 Apr 17th 2017 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12230879)
FIFY. :lol:

Ha, yeah. It does have a rain sensor so at least it won't double up on watering.

username.exe Apr 20th 2017 4:23 am

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 12230387)
Tell me how you do with the avocado seeds. I bombed badly with them last year.

So far I'm having more success with the ones that are just being tossed in to a cup of water. Only one of my toothpick seeds has sprouted so far.
More sunlight than not seems to be the way forward...

anotherlimey Apr 20th 2017 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by username.exe (Post 12233373)
So far I'm having more success with the ones that are just being tossed in to a cup of water. Only one of my toothpick seeds has sprouted so far.

I did mine on toothpicks, with the bottom qtr in water. It's now 8ft in the back yard.

I planted a mango tree too, that's 6ft.

lizzyq Apr 20th 2017 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 12230387)
Tell me how you do with the avocado seeds. I bombed badly with them last year.

Mine simply germinate where they get thrown in the compost heap. Sadly being in central PA they don't survive the winters.

username.exe Apr 21st 2017 3:26 am

Originally Posted by anotherlimey (Post 12233747)
I did mine on toothpicks, with the bottom qtr in water. It's now 8ft in the back yard.

I've got a couple of those on the go in zip locs right now :)

Leslie Apr 21st 2017 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by username.exe (Post 12233373)

Originally Posted by anotherlimey (Post 12233747)

Do you keep them inside the house while germinating?

anotherlimey Apr 21st 2017 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 12234956)

I do, yes, on a window sill.

username.exe Apr 23rd 2017 12:23 am

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 12234956)

As per poster above, window sill.

I would cauton you if you're hoping to get fruit from one eventually, as grown from seed it's a bit of a crapshoot as to what you might end up with.

You can buy a 6ft sappling where I am for around $20 that will almost guarantee good fruit.

I'm growing from seed cause I just prefer to do something with it than toss it in the trash. Eventually I'll give them away of maybe sell them on craigslist.

robin1234 Apr 25th 2017 1:29 pm

Spring - daffodil season! We have several thousand in flower now, and more to flower over the next couple of weeks. I've planted at least a couple of hundred bulbs most year for the past twenty years. We moved in to this house Memorial Day in 1997, so the anniversary is just coming up...

A less welcome sign of Spring is the Japanese knotweed. Locals call it bamboo, I'm trying to educate them .... but I've noticed that knowledge of plant names is not a strong point around here. Anyway, like bamboo, Japanese knotweed does burn very nicely even when green.

We have two major patches of knotweed. One I've contained pretty well by mowing. Twenty years ago, it was in a patch of trash trees and other undergrowth, so impossible to control, but now we've taken all the trees out so are able to mow, the Japanese knotweed is suppressed and no longer spreading. The other area, I can mow part of, but unfortunately it's going down a steep slope into a ravine & stream so is hard to get at, and it's still slowly spreading in that direction.

One advantage of having Japanese knotweed - we have a strict burn ban here from April 15 to May 15. One of the exceptions to the burn ban is attempting to eradicate invasive species...

Nutmegger Apr 25th 2017 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by WEBlue (Post 12230348)
I'll wager your green forest haze will arrive soon....

At last! I looked out of the window this morning and finally saw the green haze on some of the trees here and there. Still a long way to go, but it looks as if spring is really about to arrive.