British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Home and garden projects (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/home-garden-projects-853397/)

Nutek Feb 26th 2015 5:15 pm

Re: Home and garden projects

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11577535)
Be careful about sending that invitation south of the Mason-Dixon line! :lol:

http://neighborshame.com/wp-content/...-Around-It.jpg

All of that looks so much better than mine.

Nutek Feb 26th 2015 5:17 pm

Before the snow, (but not before the ice).

http://yaypics.smugmug.com/photos/i-...-RhWq7Bx-M.jpg

http://yaypics.smugmug.com/photos/i-...-bDcqgDF-M.jpg

Pulaski Feb 26th 2015 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by Nutek (Post 11577584)
Before the snow, (but not before the ice). .....

Looks it might be suitable for rice! :rofl:

Nutek Feb 26th 2015 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11577586)
Looks it might be suitable for rice! :rofl:

Too cold.

WEBlue Feb 27th 2015 11:48 am

Originally Posted by Nutek (Post 11577448)
We really are starting from scratch. It looks like the moon out there.

[Edit] Oh, and Mrs. N. would like a greenhouse and some raised beds.

Oh no, those photos of your new garden are such a contrast to your old garden! :blink:

Your wife had a wonderful array of flowers & flowering shrubs growing in raised beds and around the deck. I remember the photos....

sir_eccles Mar 2nd 2015 3:42 am

Two good afternoon naps from Young Sir allowed me to dismantle the old shed and drag half of it to the other side of the back yard to be reassembled as a smaller shed.

Not done the roof yet and there's quite a mess still to be cleaned up but I have regained a huge chunk of back yard.

Not bad for a weekends work. Lots of aching muscles though.

Duncan Roberts Mar 2nd 2015 3:50 am

We moved house a month ago and have a ton of projects. Paint, light fixtures, ceiling fans, all the sink faucets, bath faucets, shower and bath drains, carpet and stuff like that. I think I can do everything except the shower and bath plumbing because it looks odd, but all the parts don't come cheap so it may be a longer term plan! I haven't seen the outside since we moved in, it's currently covered with 6"-30" of snow, but I'm sure there will be a few things to take care of.

loubiblu Mar 2nd 2015 12:45 pm

I finally emptied the shed this morning. I never considered myself a hoarder until I started clearing the house!

Just finished tidying and weeding the front garden and mulched the borders. Lunch is calling then I'm erecting a new fence to replace the one we lost over the weekend.

sir_eccles Mar 2nd 2015 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by sir_eccles (Post 11580364)
Not done the roof yet and there's quite a mess still to be cleaned up but I have regained a huge chunk of back yard.

So obviously, it is raining today.

WEBlue Mar 25th 2015 4:34 pm

Silly me, I thought I would have at least a day or two in between the final melting of our winter snow and the emergence of the spring-bulb flowers, in order to rip out the weed fabric the previous owners of this house put down.

But no. :unsure: The snowdrops, crocus, & daffs are already sprouting amongst the melting snow mounds..... They're way too delicate & beautiful to disturb. I'll just have to do my best to remove that horrible stuff piecemeal once the ground softens up.

Pulaski Mar 25th 2015 4:42 pm

Spring is in full swing here. The zoysia grass has started to turn green, and I will need to mow the non-zoysia grass this weekend. I also need to finishing limbing and bucking the pines I cut down ahead of the logs being picked up by the sawyer, hopefully very soon.

If I have time this weekend I need to get some mulch for the beds around the house, and finish up raking pine needless off the lawns and spreading them on the bank, hopefully as an eco-friendly way of eliminating the invasive periwinkle that is trying to take over.

Yorkieabroad Mar 25th 2015 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11602364)
I will need to mow the non-zoysia grass this weekend.

Just finished my 3rd cut of the year. The first 2 were spread out a few weeks,but think the growth rate has picked up and can see it now being a regular weekly occurrence.

I need to get some mulch for the beds around the house,
I put 20 bags in last weekend, and have just finished unloading another 20 bags, though they may not get installed (?) this afternoon - may have to wait till the weekend.

Ps - I know,I know, its cheaper to buy in bulk rather than bags, but its a whole lot easier in bags and I can work at my own pace...

Weeze Mar 25th 2015 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad (Post 11602377)
Just finished my 3rd cut of the year. The first 2 were spread out a few weeks,but think the growth rate has picked up and can see it now being a regular weekly occurrence.

.[/SIZE]

You cut your own grass in Texas? Hippy.

I have finished mulching the front. Mulch bought for the back. Liking the new drive through mulch place. Our major project is to deal with the bit of the yard that floods. Raise the soil level and returf the area. Sigh.

Pulaski Mar 25th 2015 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad (Post 11602377)
..... I put 20 bags in last weekend, and have just finished unloading another 20 bags, though they may not get installed (?) this afternoon - may have to wait till the weekend.

Ps - I know,I know, its cheaper to buy in bulk rather than bags, but its a whole lot easier in bags and I can work at my own pace...

You must be made of money. I am surprised you don't have the money for replacement "bells & whistles" AC systems in your back pocket. :rolleyes: For $24 I can get my truck bed filled (about 2.5cuyds) with mulch. :)

Funnily enough I needed some mulch in bags last year, so I bought some rubble sacks from Lowes and bagged it myself. :lol:

Yorkieabroad Mar 25th 2015 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by Weeze (Post 11602462)
You cut your own grass in Texas? Hippy.

I go through phases....I normally get someone to do it once school is out.

I have finished mulching the front. Mulch bought for the back. Liking the new drive through mulch place.
Yeah, now they just need to come home and unload it! Was that huge African American guy there? He was tossing two bags of wet mulch at a time from the tailgate to the front of the bed this morning. I was strugglingto do the same with one:o [/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Pulaski;11602522]

You must be made of money.
Cut my own grass though;)

I am surprised you don't have the money for replacement "bells & whistles" AC systems in your back pocket.
Its in my sinking fund, well most of it. Doesn't mean I want to spend it unnecessarily though.....

For $24 I can get my truck bed filled (about 2.5cuyds) with mulch.
Yeah, but I'd end up with it in there for a few weeks at times....I know its a lot cheaper, but for the way I work (little and often, when I get chance), bags are definitely the way to go.

Funnily enough I needed some mulch in bags last year, so I bought some rubble sacks from Lowes and bagged it myself. :lol:
Glutton for punishment or what:lol: