Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Home and garden projects

Home and garden projects

Old Jun 1st 2023, 12:51 am
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Home and garden projects

We are getting a matching table and four chairs delivered by Lowe’s tomorrow. On the hand mixed concrete I had some help mixing most of that. A former dental patient from many years ago has become a hired helper for many Jobs I have done over the years. He is a few years younger and about twice my size and always in need of extra cash. I am putting down the floor today and tomorrow which is really too early but I wanted to see what it looks like. I will just have to cover areas when doing the stonework.
Old Jun 1st 2023, 1:42 pm
Forum Regular

porkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ddsrph
Two guys from North Carolina invented a process to use recycled plastic to make a very heavy and durable wood looking material that comes in several colors.
What's the brand?
Old Jun 1st 2023, 2:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by porkedpie
What's the brand?
I meant to have that in post. It’s called Polywood. They sell from their website and major retailers sell also under trade names but they list polywood as the material. Using recycled plastics it’s good for environment and very good quality furniture. They have a smooth and wood grain type which I have never seen the smooth but the wood grain looks great. It’s very easy for final assembly and they even supply the tool needed.
Old Jun 1st 2023, 2:49 pm
Forum Regular

porkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond reputeporkedpie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. Wood is lovely, but however much you look after it, it doesn't last all that long for outdoor furniture in my experience. This strikes me as a great use of recycled plastics, and I would bet HDPE will outlast me.
Old Jun 1st 2023, 3:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks. Wood is lovely, but however much you look after it, it doesn't last all that long for outdoor furniture in my experience. This strikes me as a great use of recycled plastics, and I would bet HDPE will outlast me.
I will post a photo when I get the table and chairs together. I bought the rocker and side table directly from polywood and ordered the table and chairs from Lowe’s with free home delivery plus my 10% military discount.
Old Jun 2nd 2023, 12:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Polywood table and chairs came with two chairs per box fully assembled except putting on side arms. The table is 38 inches square. The Polywood website is probably best place to buy with free shipping.

Old Jun 2nd 2023, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

Looks great! As do your geraniums
Old Jun 2nd 2023, 5:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Looks great! As do your geraniums
Thanks
We like geraniums but the only way we can have them is too high for deer to get to. We have a herd that lives just off and in our yard. We feed them and that doesn’t help.
Old Jul 20th 2023, 8:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

'European Hinges'.

When we moved into our current place, the kitchen had been fairly recently re-done. Not to our taste / liking exactly, but - good enough that we didn't feel the need to change it. The most annoying / disappointing feature is the cabinet door hinges. The cabinets themselves are 'tolerable', but almost every cabinet door does not open/close properly. Some don't 'soft close' like they should, others don't close fully at all (the doors literally stay ajar by an inch or so), etc. The problem seems squarely with the hinges. I've tried every adjustment they offer (not as many adjustments as I've seen on others, sadly) but nothing helps.

The two screws highlighted in the picture allow for various adjustments, but that's all you get, and nothing I do with them seems to help.
So I thought - no problem, just buy new ones. Well, I can't find the exact same hinges. These hinges are marked 'IKEA', and search as I might, I can't find them. A search of Ikea itself yields 4 alternatives, but all four are for 'frameless' cabinets, while our cabinets have frames (you can see in the picture above that the cabinet side of the hinge mounts to the frame protrusion, not the cabinet side) . https://www.ikea.com/us/en/cat/cabin...dampers-24260/ (see below for explanation about 'framed' vs 'frameless').

So that brings up the question - are all European hinges somewhat interchangeable, once you get the 'frame' mount type? The factors that I'm aware of are -
  1. diameter of the cutout circle,
  2. depth of the cutout circle;
  3. offset of the circle from the edge.
  4. hole spacing for the retaining screw holes.
Basically, do I have a hope of buying any other hinge and having it 'fit'? I'm not interested in drilling out new circles.

These are 'frame' hinges available at Home Depot, but they look like the hole would need to be cut much closer to the edge of the door - the 'throw' of the hinge seems much shorter (not sure if that's the correct term).

I guess a 5th factor would be the range of horizontal adjustment you get once closed, but I can cross that bridge later perhaps.

In case it's not clear what I'm talking about regarding a 'framed' cabinet, here's a comparison I cobbled together:

With Framed, you mount the door hardware on the frame, while with frameless, you mount the door hardware against the side of the cabinet.
Old Jul 21st 2023, 12:54 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
'European Hinges'.

When we moved into our current place, the kitchen had been fairly recently re-done. Not to our taste / liking exactly, but - good enough that we didn't feel the need to change it. The most annoying / disappointing feature is the cabinet door hinges. The cabinets themselves are 'tolerable', but almost every cabinet door does not open/close properly. Some don't 'soft close' like they should, others don't close fully at all (the doors literally stay ajar by an inch or so), etc. The problem seems squarely with the hinges. I've tried every adjustment they offer (not as many adjustments as I've seen on others, sadly) but nothing helps.

The two screws highlighted in the picture allow for various adjustments, but that's all you get, and nothing I do with them seems to help.
So I thought - no problem, just buy new ones. Well, I can't find the exact same hinges. These hinges are marked 'IKEA', and search as I might, I can't find them. A search of Ikea itself yields 4 alternatives, but all four are for 'frameless' cabinets, while our cabinets have frames (you can see in the picture above that the cabinet side of the hinge mounts to the frame protrusion, not the cabinet side) . https://www.ikea.com/us/en/cat/cabin...dampers-24260/ (see below for explanation about 'framed' vs 'frameless').

So that brings up the question - are all European hinges somewhat interchangeable, once you get the 'frame' mount type? The factors that I'm aware of are -
  1. diameter of the cutout circle,
  2. depth of the cutout circle;
  3. offset of the circle from the edge.
  4. hole spacing for the retaining screw holes.
Basically, do I have a hope of buying any other hinge and having it 'fit'? I'm not interested in drilling out new circles.

These are 'frame' hinges available at Home Depot, but they look like the hole would need to be cut much closer to the edge of the door - the 'throw' of the hinge seems much shorter (not sure if that's the correct term). ....
You have put massively more effort into researching cabinet door hinges than I ever have, and I think that your biggest problem may be that your existing hinges are Ikea branded, and they're either a design used in Sweden, or more likely IMO, they are a design unique to Ikea.

On the few occasions I have needed a replacement hinge I have been able to find that one of the standard ones in Lowe's is a perfect fit - IIRC there are only two sizes. That said I have had some success with removing the hinge, giving it a thorough cleaning then refitting and adjusting it - some of the adjustment screws have effects that aren't immediately obvious - a better fit in one direction also makes the hinge tighter (less sloppy), and therefore work better.
Old Jul 26th 2023, 1:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

After doing 10-15 percent of the stone work I decided to hire it out rather than take most of the summer to finish. The crew started this morning and should be done by evening.
Old Jul 26th 2023, 2:00 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

After doing 10-15 percent of the stone work I decided to hire it out rather than take most of the summer to finish. The crew started this morning and should be done by evening. ....
I find it rewarding to complete projects myself, but sometimes it just makes sense to pay someone to do it for you - and I am sure you're looking forward to having the whole project completed and done!
Old Jul 26th 2023, 9:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I find it rewarding to complete projects myself, but sometimes it just makes sense to pay someone to do it for you - and I am sure you're looking forward to having the whole project completed and done!
I did one post taking a great amount of time. Today the job was finished 8am to 3pm.

Old Jul 26th 2023, 10:28 pm

I did one post taking a great amount of time. Today the job was finished 8am to 3pm. ...
Very nice! Looks great.
Old Jul 26th 2023, 10:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Very nice! Looks great.
Thanks. Done just in time for company this weekend.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.