British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Home and garden projects (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/home-garden-projects-853397/)

Maste Mar 24th 2022 10:44 am

Re: Home and garden projects

Moved to the new house the weekend just gone, so lots to work on but nothing too 'big' yet. Our new house has over 15 fruit trees/bushes including wine grapes, cider apples, pear, berry bushes, among a bunch of other stuff, so that'll be exciting. Any tips on growing/maintaining fruit? Deer can get around here so any advice on keeping them away from our fruit would be good!

We are planning to do some sort of raised bed vegetable garden (raised so the dogs can't get to it). Any advice on that too? Some easy veggies to grow suggestions maybe?

ddsrph Mar 24th 2022 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by Maste (Post 13103354)
Moved to the new house the weekend just gone, so lots to work on but nothing too 'big' yet. Our new house has over 15 fruit trees/bushes including wine grapes, cider apples, pear, berry bushes, among a bunch of other stuff, so that'll be exciting. Any tips on growing/maintaining fruit? Deer can get around here so any advice on keeping them away from our fruit would be good!

We are planning to do some sort of raised bed vegetable garden (raised so the dogs can't get to it). Any advice on that too? Some easy veggies to grow suggestions maybe?

Thats a big advantage buying an existing house. It’s takes a lot of dollars and years to develop a yard on a new build. We too live in a rural neighborhood with deer. I have found only three things for sure deer don’t eat. Eastern Red cedar trees, Vinca flowers , which we really like, and Pompous grass. Our deer population is probably a lot more than yours but they
will eat almost anything including chicken, Mexican and Chinese food. They have eaten tomato’s off our neighbors porch.
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...c8898ea0b.jpeg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...93968e6ea.jpeg
Vinca and Pompass grass. They also tend to leave Canna alone.

Pulaski Mar 24th 2022 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by Maste (Post 13103354)
Moved to the new house the weekend just gone, so lots to work on but nothing too 'big' yet. Our new house has over 15 fruit trees/bushes including wine grapes, cider apples, pear, berry bushes, among a bunch of other stuff, so that'll be exciting. Any tips on growing/maintaining fruit?

The key thing is annual pruning - but that isn't hugely challenging, other than whatever time it takes. You can get slow-release fertilizer pegs that you drive into the ground near the perimeter of the tree canopy to make sure the ground has enough nutrients to support good fruit production, but unless you have very sandy or very clay top soil, nutrients are unlikely to be too much of an issue.

.... Deer can get around here so any advice on keeping them away from our fruit would be good! ...
Please let me know if you find a solution. :lol: .... I have an electric fence that I can put out, and the last time I grew corn it was woefully ineffective in protecting the crop, though I think that the thieves may have been raccoons, not deer. :unsure:

... We are planning to do some sort of raised bed vegetable garden (raised so the dogs can't get to it). Any advice on that too? Some easy veggies to grow suggestions maybe?
Watering and keeping the soil moist is what I find the biggest challenge, especially if the beds have full sun, which is what most vegetables need. So mulching and regular watering are key, but so IMO is not making the beds too small (narrow) as that can just make them too susceptible to the heat of the summer sun.

ddsrph May 22nd 2022 2:00 pm

My block, brick and stone covered pavilion is coming along. I have found block and brick work not to be as difficult as previous thought. I am very slow at it but am totally satisfied with the result.
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...c5f859d4a.jpeg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...120781fda.jpeg

Pulaski May 22nd 2022 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by ddsrph (Post 13116767)
My block, brick and stone covered pavilion is coming along. I have found block and brick work not to be as difficult as previous thought. I am very slow at it but am totally satisfied with the result.

That looks good - I have never tried bricklaying myself, but I suspect that my experience would be similar, as I have had success with other similar tasks, such as tilework.

ddsrph May 22nd 2022 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 13116793)
That looks good - I have never tried bricklaying myself, but I suspect that my experience would be similar, as I have had success with other similar tasks, such as tilework.

Previous tile work was my main experience for brickwork. I wanted to have someone do the block work and most of the brick but after I got a ridiculous quote I decided to do it myself and glad I did. When I can get the lower portion done and the slab poured I will enjoy the upper part of the masonry and the framing and building the roof structure.

Steerpike May 26th 2022 9:33 pm

Front door locks question.

When I lived in the UK, the most common 'front door' lock was a 'yale' type, which was self-locking - you simply slammed the door and it was locked, without the need for a key (and one would often lock oneself out as a result!). In order to leave the house, you simply turned the 'spring lever' to disengage the lock.

Here in the US, every place I've lived in over a 40 year span has had a 'deadbolt' lock, where you must explicitly use a key to lock it from the outside, so no possibility of locking yourself out. From the inside, you simply turned a lever to lock/unlock.

These are the types I'm talking about:
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...e3cceeff9c.png

The important feature of both these types is that you can get out in an emergency without use of the key. I know that in the US, getting out without a key is a code / legal requirement.

When visiting my brother not long ago in the UK, his front door was operated both from the inside and outside by a key. At night, he would lock the door from the inside using the key, and then remove the key to a safe place. There was no 'lever' to override the lock. I asked him what would happen in the event of a fire and I needed to get out, he looked at me strangely like he'd never considered this before and didn't really have an answer. So ... is such a front-door lock legal in UK, and are they common? I'm looking for a picture of said lock but can't find one offhand ... I THINK his reason for wanting such a lock was that even if you smashed a window near the door lock, you couldn't reach in and open the lock from the outside.

ddsrph May 26th 2022 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by Steerpike (Post 13117892)
Front door locks question.

When I lived in the UK, the most common 'front door' lock was a 'yale' type, which was self-locking - you simply slammed the door and it was locked, without the need for a key (and one would often lock oneself out as a result!). In order to leave the house, you simply turned the 'spring lever' to disengage the lock.

Here in the US, every place I've lived in over a 40 year span has had a 'deadbolt' lock, where you must explicitly use a key to lock it from the outside, so no possibility of locking yourself out. From the inside, you simply turned a lever to lock/unlock.

These are the types I'm talking about:
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...e3cceeff9c.png

The important feature of both these types is that you can get out in an emergency without use of the key. I know that in the US, getting out without a key is a code / legal requirement.

When visiting my brother not long ago in the UK, his front door was operated both from the inside and outside by a key. At night, he would lock the door from the inside using the key, and then remove the key to a safe place. There was no 'lever' to override the lock. I asked him what would happen in the event of a fire and I needed to get out, he looked at me strangely like he'd never considered this before and didn't really have an answer. So ... is such a front-door lock legal in UK, and are they common? I'm looking for a picture of said lock but can't find one offhand ... I THINK his reason for wanting such a lock was that even if you smashed a window near the door lock, you couldn't reach in and open the lock from the outside.

I did a quick google of the above subject and double keyed locks are available here for certain commercial/institutional settings but most jurisdictions prohibit them for general residential use. Like you mentioned having a large glass pane near the entry door would be a reason for wanting one. If I as the homeowner installed one I would make sure I removed before selling the house. Bedrooms require windows of a certain size for egress during a fire and I installed the required size when I built my current house. Many Americans would find the size required is way too small.

Pulaski May 26th 2022 11:43 pm

Until very recently I was able to buy 7-pin, Kwikset residential deadbolt locks that were either single cylinder (key on the outside, knob on the inside) or double cylinder (key required on both sides), which I prefer when there is a window in, or adjacent to the door.

I can still get the single cylinder type, but I have not yet worked out whether the double cylinder type have been discontinued entirely or are just not available from my supplier. And yes, I understand that double cylinder locks are not permitted in a residential location, for reasons of emergency egress.

The closest thing I know of to the Yale "slam lock", is a "keyed entry" locket, which looks just like an internal door know, but has a key on the outside and a little twist know, like one used on the inside of a bedroom or bathroom door, in the SE USA, at least.

So to answer your question, my mother had a new front door installed a few years ago, and one of the locks requires a key to unlock it from the inside. AFAIK there was nothing special about either the door or the company that installed it, so I assume that such door locks are relatively common. FWIW the door is has a large window taking up just over (the top) half the door.

Steerpike May 26th 2022 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by ddsrph (Post 13117896)
I did a quick google of the above subject and double keyed locks are available here for certain commercial/institutional settings but most jurisdictions prohibit them for general residential use. Like you mentioned having a large glass pane near the entry door would be a reason for wanting one. If I as the homeowner installed one I would make sure I removed before selling the house. Bedrooms require windows of a certain size for egress during a fire and I installed the required size when I built my current house. Many Americans would find the size required is way too small.

I just did another search; this time searching for 'dual cylinder deadbolt'. Apparently, they are legal in some jurisdictions, and of course, Texas - the land of the free - allows them:

https://www.ehow.com/facts_7496748_d...ainst-law.html

"The city of San Jose in California prohibits the use of dual-cylinder deadbolt locks in homes. According to San Jose's Uniform Building Code, "deadbolts must be openable from the inside without a key or any special knowledge. Deadbolts with a latch on the inside are the ones approved for residential use."

The state of Texas allows for the use of dual-cylinder deadbolt locks in homes. According to the Texas property code, "They are not illegal, but it would be prudent for you to consider the possible liability of a tenant or children trapped inside your dwelling during a fire.""

But I couldn't find anything about UK rules; maybe terminology is different in uk ...

OldJuddian May 27th 2022 12:48 am

Deadlock
Yale P-M552-CH-65 64mm Polished Metal 5 lever Deadlock | DIY at B&Q
Or Rim Lock
Yale 43mm Black Metal Rim lock, (H)104mm (L)156mm | DIY at B&Q

These are common in the UK - just normal life there.

ddsrph Jun 1st 2022 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by ddsrph (Post 13099044)
Just started a block , and brick and artificial stone project. Will be a covered pavilion 12 by 16 feet. Decided to try doing the whole thing by self including the block and brick. My first time for block and brick but the block is going slow but good result.
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...010f21e35.jpeg
Project so far

Making a lot of progress. Still very slow with the brick but getting a little more confident. I am past all the footer steps and the rest will be easy.
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...ba68f1c21.jpeg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...f75677c99.jpeg

BEVS Jun 2nd 2022 1:56 am

That is really very neat. :thumbup:

Pulaski Jun 2nd 2022 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 13119400)
That is really very neat. ...

Yes, it is, literally as well as figuratively. :nod:

ddsrph Jun 2nd 2022 1:48 pm

Thanks. When I get the brick four or so inches above the block and get the concrete slab poured the rest will be easy. Will build the upper roof structure and can then work on the upper brick and stone part under the shade and protection of the roof. The roof will be supported by concrete and steel posts to be later covered in stone and decorative aluminum posts similar to the carport I built off my garage.
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...a4d5da6ed.jpeg