Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Home and garden projects

Home and garden projects

Old Jul 1st 2021, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Home and garden projects

Just finished my carport conversion to storage building. Metal framework and vertical vinyl siding. Was just at Lowe’s and 7/16 OSB is now $49 per sheet.

Old Jul 2nd 2021, 3:44 pm
Forum Regular

hutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ddsrph
Just finished my carport conversion to storage building. Metal framework and vertical vinyl siding. Was just at Lowe’s and 7/16 OSB is now $49 per sheet.

good use of space! did you seal the part of the roof under the eaves where it mates with the outside wall?
Old Jul 2nd 2021, 4:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hutchison
good use of space! did you seal the part of the roof under the eaves where it mates with the outside wall?
No seal. Just attached each square tube with angle bracket and 1/2 inch bolt thru vinyl into good wood inside supports. It’s under the garage eave and being all metal and vinyl a little blown in water wont be a problem. Several heavy rains with no leaks so far.
Old Aug 5th 2021, 10:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Maste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond repute

Our basement has been half finished for about a year, as we lost motivation to finish the half of the basement we really didn't have a use for. Well, I just offered a remote position starting the 16th, so we are now planning to finish up the other half of the basement and turn it into my home office!
Old Nov 1st 2021, 8:23 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

We are expecting frosts this week so I have just picked all the remaining produce from the hydroponics system and added all the stems, leaves etc to the compost heap.

Old Nov 1st 2021, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Maste
Our basement has been half finished for about a year, as we lost motivation to finish the half of the basement we really didn't have a use for. Well, I just offered a remote position starting the 16th, so we are now planning to finish up the other half of the basement and turn it into my home office!
Is it mainly underground? Do a lot of research on best way to prevent water problems. The main thing is how well it’s sealed outside underground which is out of your control. If unsure I would consider taping a sq piece of plastic maybe 3 by 3 feet sealed at edges with good duck tape and see if any condensation developes. Clear maybe 6 mil would work. I did my house about 1/2 underground and so far all is ok. There are some good articles on this subject by building science.
Old Nov 2nd 2021, 5:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

newadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizzyq
We are expecting frosts this week so I have just picked all the remaining produce from the hydroponics system and added all the stems, leaves etc to the compost heap.
That is an impressive harvest! Can you post pics of your hydroponics system? I have set one up but it would not be producing veggies on this scale
Old Nov 3rd 2021, 12:14 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizzyq
Nice harvest. I'm curious to see the setup as well because I'm intrigued to see how frost might affect it, presumably yours is neither indoors nor greenhoused?
Old Nov 29th 2021, 8:54 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Seeing what others do, like the carport, makes me feel useless.
I planned to replace the toilet today, but after removing the old one, I saw there was no flange, the old one was wood screwed in to the floorboards. I am uncomfortable in adding the flange myself.
Old Nov 29th 2021, 9:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by kimilseung
I planned to replace the toilet today, but after removing the old one, I saw there was no flange, the old one was wood screwed in to the floorboards. I am uncomfortable in adding the flange myself.
Its not hard to do but it’s sounds like you have a very unusual situation. Could you post some photos? The hard part is connecting to the pipe. Is it cast iron ? Inside diameter?
Old Nov 29th 2021, 9:55 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ddsrph
Its not hard to do but it’s sounds like you have a very unusual situation. Could you post some photos? The hard part is connecting to the pipe. Is it cast iron ? Inside diameter?
Thanks, but I am getting someone in tomorrow.
Old Nov 30th 2021, 2:21 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Remove the oven gloves.
Old Dec 1st 2021, 6:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

This reminds me of a thread last year about tree trimming and chain saws. Today had three giant popular trees trimmed. They brought a large four wheel drive tractor with them to pull boom truck back up hill after trimming was done. The gross trimming may end up killing the trees but I was worried about them getting blown down on my garage in a summer wind storm.

Old Mar 4th 2022, 1:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Just started a block , and brick and artificial stone project. Will be a covered pavilion 12 by 16 feet. Decided to try doing the whole thing by self including the block and brick. My first time for block and brick but the block is going slow but good result.

Project so far
Old Mar 18th 2022, 7:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Project going very well so far. Blockwork almost done to be followed by a brick veneer. Thru pure luck I have it level to 1/16 inch.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.