Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Home and garden projects

Home and garden projects

Old Jan 11th 2021, 8:24 pm
  #1921  
 
Nutek's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: CT
Posts: 32,312
Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Home and garden projects

Originally Posted by username.exe View Post
I feel like visitors to this water closet should be rewarded with a complimentary McVities digestive.
Do they have dispensers for those?
They have those?


Nutek is offline  
Old Jan 11th 2021, 8:33 pm
  #1922  
BE Practitioner (Level 2)
 
username.exe's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2014
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,400
username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Home and garden projects

Originally Posted by Nutek View Post
They have those?

*grabs notepad, scribbles wildly*

Er, patent pending.
username.exe is offline  
Old Jan 11th 2021, 8:42 pm
  #1923  
 
Nutek's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: CT
Posts: 32,312
Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Home and garden projects

Originally Posted by username.exe View Post
*grabs notepad, scribbles wildly*

Er, patent pending.
Nutek is offline  
Old Jan 12th 2021, 2:57 am
  #1924  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Steerpike's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Bay Area, CA / Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 11,538
Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Home and garden projects

Originally Posted by Nutek View Post
They have those?

Originally Posted by username.exe View Post
*grabs notepad, scribbles wildly*

Er, patent pending.
A plate?

I guess I might be a bit squeamish about eating uncovered biscuits sitting there for some time in a small toilet ... so you'd have to go with the equivalent of 'airplane' versions, or 'Halloween' versions - individually wrapped ... single servings.

Steerpike is offline  
Old Jan 12th 2021, 1:06 pm
  #1925  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Virginia
Posts: 116
hutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Home and garden projects

Originally Posted by markonline1 View Post
Not how the downstairs bathroom looked when we moved in, obviously. The wife decided she wanted to honour the homeland.


thats a decompression chamber on many levels, pretty quirky classic! i like it.
reminds me of a tube carriage, just needs a springy ceiling handle!

hutchison is offline  
Old Jan 12th 2021, 4:01 pm
  #1926  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 339
newadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Home and garden projects

Originally Posted by hutchison View Post
just needs a springy ceiling handle!
and about 15 strangers crammed in there
newadventure is offline  
Old Jan 12th 2021, 4:18 pm
  #1927  
BE Practitioner (Level 2)
 
username.exe's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2014
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,400
username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Home and garden projects

Originally Posted by newadventure View Post
and about 15 strangers crammed in there
And a couple of tourists with overly-filled backpacks on.
username.exe is offline  
Old Jan 12th 2021, 9:45 pm
  #1928  
Turning into a PA gal!
 
lizzyq's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: State College PA, finally!
Posts: 3,238
lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Home and garden projects

Originally Posted by username.exe View Post
I feel like visitors to this water closet should be rewarded with a complimentary McVities digestive.
Do they have dispensers for those?
Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
A plate?

I guess I might be a bit squeamish about eating uncovered biscuits sitting there for some time in a small toilet ... so you'd have to go with the equivalent of 'airplane' versions, or 'Halloween' versions - individually wrapped ... single servings.
Why mess about? Just eat a whole proper packet yourself in one sitting - problem solved
lizzyq is offline  
Old Apr 20th 2021, 12:58 am
  #1929  
BE Forum Addict
 
markonline1's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Monterey, CA
Posts: 2,538
markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Home and garden projects

Final project for a while.........
Back yard was a bit of a disaster when we moved in. It was just all sand, so we decided just to pave. Ive
no idea how much sand ended up getting removed, but it was in the tons.












markonline1 is offline  
Old Apr 20th 2021, 11:24 pm
  #1930  
Bob
BE Site Lead
 
Bob's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: MA, USA
Posts: 92,064
Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Home and garden projects

Got some dirt for the raised bed...that's about as far as we got...
Bob is offline  
Old Jun 22nd 2021, 4:21 pm
  #1931  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Virginia
Posts: 116
hutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Home and garden projects

what to do while waiting for a visa, or a gc, or whatever!
I have been working on a playpen for our 8 month old. He has started crawling and tasting everything in the house, and chewing corners .
I prefer to create myself where possible.
took the plunge and brought a $40 Kreg jig , i am still reluctant to buy so many power tools as I am not confirmed permanent here yet.
The Kreg Jig makes good strong frame corners and its a manual tool you can use a cordless drill (one of 2 power tools i own).
The design will be 96" x 70" with an inside dim of 96" x 67" enough to hold an 8 x 4 x 2 crash mat, and a strip of astro turf (the side he will hang out on most often)

luckily I have a friend who has a great sliding power mitre saw, and a great router, so we set about chopping all the lengths of wood +/- 0.040" (took 2-3 hours).
a further few nights last week sanding long edges at the rate of an hour a night its hot! . This weekend I routed all the top edges of the cut pieces, and some other frame pieces where his hands and teeth and face might be. This also reduces the chance of broken skin when he falls against it.

I got one of the long frames constructed yesterday and its turned out nice and rigid . the corners will have bracket's, and it will have a hinged gate.
I constructed using the american safety standard for slat gap spacing (less than 2-1/4")

I hope to be finished by EOW, and add some child friendly paint.

Time is of the essence!, Zac is moving faster and standing and falling and chewing.



Kreg jig used on the corners (great jigs!)



frames made 1 x 3 common primed pine from Home D, have to say this wood is very square, straight, and consistent.



lashed up a jig for repeatable hole drilling.



used my trusty yard cart as an abutment plate to rout the radius easily on 94 slats.


screwed and glued the slats onto the first 96" frame. its quite rigid, enough to hold a little person.


radius on the top edges (and inside of the frames) which will reduce splintering, its not going to stop a little person chewing on the top.






i'll post up the plans next time.

Last edited by hutchison; Jun 22nd 2021 at 5:17 pm.
hutchison is offline  
Old Jun 22nd 2021, 5:37 pm
  #1932  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jun 2015
Location: Near Lynchburg Tennessee, home of Jack Daniels
Posts: 1,129
ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Home and garden projects

Originally Posted by hutchison View Post
what to do while waiting for a visa, or a gc, or whatever!
I have been working on a playpen for our 8 month old. He has started crawling and tasting everything in the house, and chewing corners .
I prefer to create myself where possible.
took the plunge and brought a $40 Kreg jig , i am still reluctant to buy so many power tools as I am not confirmed permanent here yet.
The Kreg Jig makes good strong frame corners and its a manual tool you can use a cordless drill (one of 2 power tools i own).
The design will be 96" x 70" with an inside dim of 96" x 67" enough to hold an 8 x 4 x 2 crash mat, and a strip of astro turf (the side he will hang out on most often)

luckily I have a friend who has a great sliding power mitre saw, and a great router, so we set about chopping all the lengths of wood +/- 0.040" (took 2-3 hours).
a further few nights last week sanding long edges at the rate of an hour a night its hot! . This weekend I routed all the top edges of the cut pieces, and some other frame pieces where his hands and teeth and face might be. This also reduces the chance of broken skin when he falls against it.

I got one of the long frames constructed yesterday and its turned out nice and rigid . the corners will have bracket's, and it will have a hinged gate.
I constructed using the american safety standard for slat gap spacing (less than 2-1/4")

I hope to be finished by EOW, and add some child friendly paint.

Time is of the essence!, Zac is moving faster and standing and falling and chewing.



Kreg jig used on the corners (great jigs!)



frames made 1 x 3 common primed pine from Home D, have to say this wood is very square, straight, and consistent.



lashed up a jig for repeatable hole drilling.



used my trusty yard cart as an abutment plate to rout the radius easily on 94 slats.


screwed and glued the slats onto the first 96" frame. its quite rigid, enough to hold a little person.


radius on the top edges (and inside of the frames) which will reduce splintering, its not going to stop a little person chewing on the top.






i'll post up the plans next time.
Nice project. I bought a Kreg jig when I was building my house and kitchen cabinets. A very useful tool well worth the cost.
ddsrph is offline  
Old Jun 28th 2021, 2:26 pm
  #1933  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Virginia
Posts: 116
hutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Home and garden projects

well, after a large amount of assembly and paint Labor, et voila; 1 baby play pen.
big enough for a couple adults to get into and join in .





internal 8' x 5' 6"


I added some Trimaco corner guard (5/8 x 5/8 transparent vinyl angle) to the inside top edges to help stop him chewing the paint off.
I used only 1 quart Behr premium plus semi gloss enamel, latex based, Zero VOC, liberally rolled it with a 'best' 6" roller, and it layed flat enough.
The wood was pre-primed which helped the top coat spread easier than just soaking into bare wood.




showing the transparent edge guard

hutchison is offline  
Old Jun 28th 2021, 3:58 pm
  #1934  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jun 2015
Location: Near Lynchburg Tennessee, home of Jack Daniels
Posts: 1,129
ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Home and garden projects

Nice job. A size you couldn’t buy off the shelf.
ddsrph is offline  
Old Jun 28th 2021, 9:23 pm
  #1935  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Virginia
Posts: 116
hutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Home and garden projects

Originally Posted by ddsrph View Post
Nice job. A size you couldn’t buy off the shelf.
thanks, yup, various injection moulded things with various reviews in various sizes, for what seems a lot of $, and loses a lot of $ over time and most likely ends up in landfill.
There were expensive canvas and pole designs also but the cats would have shredded it, i dont think they would hold up to wear and tear.

i am hoping I can sell it on a few years, it does have a reasonable footprint and should hold up, i figure about 250$ in materials.

hutchison is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.