Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Home and garden projects

Home and garden projects

Old Nov 5th 2020, 4:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Home and garden projects

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer
If you'd have picked red for the shower it would've looked like a phone box and you could've kept your bath mat.
LOL. That bath mat is staying, phone box or not.
Old Nov 5th 2020, 5:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markonline1
LOL. That bath mat is staying, phone box or not.
Well ... the current color scheme / style could be equally associated with the Tardis, so you can still keep the bathmat! You might be able to get a showerhead that looks like a phone too

https://www.amazon.com/Off-Hook-Phone-Shaped-Shower/dp/B00A9I212S
Old Nov 5th 2020, 7:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Well ... the current color scheme / style could be equally associated with the Tardis, so you can still keep the bathmat! You might be able to get a showerhead that looks like a phone too

https://www.amazon.com/Off-Hook-Phon.../dp/B00A9I212S

I’ll run that idea past the wife LOL.
Old Nov 19th 2020, 1:20 am
BE Forum Addict

So after replacing the floors throughout, ripping out and replacing the en suite and downstairs bathrooms, replastering all the ceilings and replacing the trim and repainting the exterior, the kitty is almost dry. So we had to take the cheaper route of repainting the kitchen units for now. Turned out much better than I expected.

Old Nov 19th 2020, 1:50 am
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Cabinets look great. Sturdy oak cabinets are hard to beat and paintimg gives them a more modern look.
Old Nov 19th 2020, 2:29 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

So after replacing the floors throughout, ripping out and replacing the en suite and downstairs bathrooms, replastering all the ceilings and replacing the trim and repainting the exterior, the kitty is almost dry. So we had to take the cheaper route of repainting the kitchen units for now. Turned out much better than I expected.
What a transformation. The cabinets look great.
Old Nov 19th 2020, 4:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Wow! That is a great transformation indeed! I looked at the pics before reading the intro, and didn't even realize the cabinets were the same. Love the color, and the color 'differential' for the island. The color goes remarkably well with the countertop tiles! That 'classic oak' look is so incredibly dated and this really updates the room. The handles look good too.

I have cabinets not unlike that in my kitchen, but with slightly more decorative panel routing (even more dated!), and a slightly nicer wood (alder, I believe). I've repainted some identical cabinets in another room, and a) it was a horribly tedious job, and b) does not appear very durable - I've already scratched off bits of the paint accidently. But - I didn't go crazy with preparation, and that's probably the key. So ... what did you do to prep the surfaces, and how did you apply the paint - roller, brush, spray, etc?
Old Nov 19th 2020, 4:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks all

So ... what did you do to prep the surfaces, and how did you apply the paint - roller, brush, spray, etc?
Just primer then acrylic cabinet paint with a roller.
Old Nov 22nd 2020, 9:49 pm
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats, great outcome.
We painted our kitchen cabinets several years ago. It made a big difference but we were nowhere near prepared for how gruelling and painstaking a process it was, even with a sprayer. Never again, haha.
Old Nov 22nd 2020, 9:51 pm
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

Question for the brain trust:
Was planning on pouring a small concrete path in my front yard next weekend, so did a lot of digging to prep for formwork today.
Came across a french drain right in the middle of where I'm planning to pour... what does one do in these situations?

Old Nov 22nd 2020, 9:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks all

Just primer then acrylic cabinet paint with a roller.
Did you sand the entire surface first?

I removed the doors from the cabinets and laid them flat to help avoid 'runs', but still got them:

Now, granted, these are close ups. The cabinets look great from a distance:

(I painted the stair rails too).

So I'm just curious how it looks close up. But more importantly, the durability issue is what bothers me ... I've already seen some areas where the paint has been very easily removed (like where the doors 'strike' the frame on closure).
Old Nov 23rd 2020, 1:01 am
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

New seasonal quilted wall hanging for over the dining table:

Old Nov 23rd 2020, 1:51 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Not being a paint expert, but will say whatever paint they used in these apartments must not be so great. Never had paint that shows so much oils from human skin, and water stains so badly, peeling pretty badly too in the bathroom most notably in the shower area.

Old Nov 23rd 2020, 3:01 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizzyq
New seasonal quilted wall hanging for over the dining table:

That is gorgeous Lizzie!
Old Nov 23rd 2020, 4:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Did you sand the entire surface first?

I removed the doors from the cabinets and laid them flat to help avoid 'runs', but still got them:

Now, granted, these are close ups. The cabinets look great from a distance:

(I painted the stair rails too).

So I'm just curious how it looks close up. But more importantly, the durability issue is what bothers me ... I've already seen some areas where the paint has been very easily removed (like where the doors 'strike' the frame on closure).
Didn’t sand them. The doors didn’t have any sort of finish on them, so hopefully not necessary. Did the same as you, laid them flat, managed to avoid runs. We’ll see how the durability stacks up. I’m hoping with the cabinet paint we used, it will be ok.
The rails look good. We also did ours. They were much harder to do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.