Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Home and garden projects

Home and garden projects

Old Oct 14th 2015, 5:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Home and garden projects

Originally Posted by Pulaski
So instead of putting my feet up after dinner, I have spent the evening in the attic, and outside up an extension ladder threading new coax cable to the data modem/wifi router.

At the moment there is still a coax connection in the attic, but another day I might trying to pull the coax down through the wall to where the modem is connected.

Anyhow, the new cable seems to have improved the data speed and enabled the TV to load Netflix again, which it has struggled to do for several weeks.
Ugh I hate mucking around our attic. It has that fluffy ground up insulation (recycled paper?) and is usually about 150f or more in the summer.

I actually have a length of cat5 that runs across the attic the previous owner put in that I need to move because it runs to the wrong room and I want to use it to extend the wireless range. I have been putting it off all summer.
Old Oct 14th 2015, 6:40 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

As a Florida resident I have surprisingly few bug problems, but I feel the need to do an ant bait treatment on the whole yard (5000sf max). Have googled, and just wondered who has had success with what products?

I have several types of ants, but only guessing at Carpenter, Pharoah & Fire. How can you tell, short of a magnifying glass? Seems not all products work on all types?
Old Oct 14th 2015, 11:04 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RICH
As a Florida resident I have surprisingly few bug problems, but I feel the need to do an ant bait treatment on the whole yard (5000sf max). Have googled, and just wondered who has had success with what products?

I have several types of ants, but only guessing at Carpenter, Pharoah & Fire. How can you tell, short of a magnifying glass? Seems not all products work on all types?
Have you tried luring them out by building a huge sugar silo?

Old Oct 14th 2015, 12:02 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RICH

If you are unlucky enough to have crazy ants then nothing out there seems to kill them.

We sometimes just smother them with Baby Powder. It works for a while unless it rains!
Old Oct 15th 2015, 1:33 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Ugh I hate mucking around our attic. It has that fluffy ground up insulation (recycled paper?) and is usually about 150f or more in the summer. .....
This might not be Arizona, but there is a reason why I waited until mid October before going up into the attic.

Anyhow while digging around in attic space I had not previously explored, I found this (below) interesting bit of plumbing.

10/10 for connecting the "soil stack" to a pipe leading to an external vent, albeit horizontally, which is code permissible. And, er, a big fat zero out of ten for using an uncapped T-piece (open at the top), rather than a 90° bend. That has to be a new entry straight into my personal top 10 almighty construction eff-ups!

[I have reloaded this picture four times, included rotated versions and a copy-and-paste into a new file, and it is STILL upside down. ..... Anyhow, the pipe down to the toilet sticks up into the attic and is open to the attic! ]
Attached Thumbnails Home and garden projects-20151010_183812.jpg  

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 15th 2015 at 1:53 am.
Old Oct 15th 2015, 8:15 am
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
Have you tried luring them out by building a huge sugar silo?

https://yaypics.smugmug.com/photos/i...-hwHZ9vS-S.jpg
Oooh, another Joan Collins classic!
Old Oct 15th 2015, 11:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Norri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond repute

[I have reloaded this picture four times, included rotated versions and a copy-and-paste into a new file, and it is STILL upside down. ..... Anyhow, the pipe down to the toilet sticks up into the attic and is open to the attic! ]
It's the right way up if you open it in a new tab. more than you can say for the tee piece if it was capped.
Old Oct 15th 2015, 12:28 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norri
It's the right way up if you open it in a new tab. ....?.
Wow, so it does. That is weird! Thanks for the tip.
Old Oct 17th 2015, 5:12 pm

For the first time in perhaps a decade, there has been a good crop of pecans, ....... that I have managed to get some of before they are all lost to children and squirrels. I collected a couple of hundred this morning.
Attached Thumbnails Home and garden projects-20151017_130045.jpg  
Old Oct 17th 2015, 6:21 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

For the first time in perhaps a decade, there has been a good crop of pecans, ....... that I have managed to get some of before they are all lost to children and squirrels. I collected a couple of hundred this morning.
Love pecans fresh from the tree! We had two pecan trees on our property in Houston back in the 90s, and some years we spent all autumn noshing on them.

Back then buying pecans in the supermarket didn't cost the fortune it does now. (I hardly ever buy them these days.) The just-fallen ones were so much better than the packaged ones anyway, my pecan memories have spoiled me....
Old Oct 17th 2015, 11:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

This might not be Arizona, but there is a reason why I waited until mid October before going up into the attic.
Dammit, can't reach the right bit of attic space. Too much ductwork, pipes and roof trusses in the way.
Old Nov 8th 2015, 8:55 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

I have finally been able to sit down and play with my sewing machine this weekend and made this:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lizzya...posted-public/

pattern can be found here:

Lily's Quilts: Pam Kitty Tea Cosy Tutorial
Attached Thumbnails Home and garden projects-union-jack-tea-cosy-1.jpg  
Old Nov 8th 2015, 11:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Anyhow while digging around in attic space I had not previously explored, I found this (below) interesting bit of plumbing.

10/10 for connecting the "soil stack" to a pipe leading to an external vent, albeit horizontally, which is code permissible. And, er, a big fat zero out of ten for using an uncapped T-piece (open at the top), rather than a 90° bend. That has to be a new entry straight into my personal top 10 almighty construction eff-ups!

From the photo it looks like they just forgot to run the 3 inch up from the tee and thru the roof. Does the horizontal pipe actually go to outside or to a outside wall to vent sink?
Old Nov 9th 2015, 1:25 am

Originally Posted by ddsrph
From the photo it looks like they just forgot to run the 3 inch up from the tee and thru the roof. Does the horizontal pipe actually go to outside or to a outside wall to vent sink?
The side-T goes horizontally to another pipe which does vent through the roof. The next time I'm in the attic I will take a few inches of 3" pipe and an end cap to dry fit over the open end, and glue it in place at a later date assuming that the cap doesn't mess with the operation of the toilets. I believe the open end must have been like that for close to 40 years!

It's just another example that proves my experience, that every house I have ever owned has something, dumb and/or dangerous in its structure or systems.

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 9th 2015 at 1:34 am.
Old Nov 9th 2015, 11:41 am
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

The side-T goes horizontally to another pipe which does vent through the roof. The next time I'm in the attic I will take a few inches of 3" pipe and an end cap to dry fit over the open end, and glue it in place at a later date assuming that the cap doesn't mess with the operation of the toilets. I believe the open end must have been like that for close to 40 years!

It's just another example that proves my experience, that every house I have ever owned has something, dumb and/or dangerous in its structure or systems.
I have always believed if you want something done right do it yourself. In the lake house I am building I am doing all the plumbing, electrical, HVAC, flooring, etc. The only contractor I have left to deal with is for the sheet rock.

It's a good idea you have to cap and test before gluing in place. You may have to somehow connect the open pipe to the other large pipe that goes thru roof.

JM

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.