Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Home and garden projects

Home and garden projects

Old Sep 3rd 2020, 1:55 am
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Home and garden projects

House is beginning to take shape. 3 solid days of removing skanky carpet and old hardwood floors to be replaced by easy to clean laminate (2 kids and 2 dogs), shiplap going up in the family room (not a fan myself, but the wife loves it), half way through painting the banisters to get rid of that dated pine look. TV mount arrived today, so that’s my next next job.
Still moving crap from room to room to accommodate the work. Waiting for the sectional to arrive for the living room, waiting for a tv and media storage unit to arrive back in stock at IKEA to get that ordered. Hoping to have everything done by around thanksgiving.
Family room before

After

Living room before

After

Stairs

Old Sep 3rd 2020, 7:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

What color would you call that paint on the living room wall? Looks interesting! Some sort of a gray?

How much prep did you do on the banisters before repainting? I painted over my banisters that were somewhat similar. I couldn't face the time / mess of sanding them heavily, so essentially just painted over the glossy finish with good quality primer and then a top coat. But I don't expect it to stand up to much abuse!
Old Sep 3rd 2020, 5:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
What color would you call that paint on the living room wall? Looks interesting! Some sort of a gray?

How much prep did you do on the banisters before repainting? I painted over my banisters that were somewhat similar. I couldn't face the time / mess of sanding them heavily, so essentially just painted over the glossy finish with good quality primer and then a top coat. But I don't expect it to stand up to much abuse!
Its a grey blue type thing, forget the color. I’m getting a white unit that will run most of the length of the lower half of the wall. We went for a darker colored wall so the furniture against it will pop a little more. Also make the tv hanging there more of a feature.
The banister was lightly sanded and then wood specific paint was applied. To be honest, that’s the wife’s project. The darker banister actually looks ok, it kind of has an antique effect. The plan is for it to be black though. It’s probably gonna take about 20 coats LOL.
Just checked, the color is called calligraphy, which gives no actual clue what the color actually is LOL.

Last edited by markonline1; Sep 3rd 2020 at 5:45 pm.
Old Sep 5th 2020, 8:28 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
..... I went up on the roof today, to try to fix an annoyingly persistent leak, where the garage/bonus room roof ridge meets the house roof. For several years it has been seasonal, leaking only in the summer, and I assume connected to humidity causing the house frame to expand. So I finally went up on the ridge today and slapped some roofing tar where the ridge meets the house roof and on several nearby joints in the shingles. All we need now is a good downpour to test it. ......
So, within 24 hours we had had an utter deluge, 4-5 inches, mostly in a couple of hours, with more rain later in the week too. ..... And not the slighest sign of any water inside. So, on to other projects!

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 5th 2020 at 8:31 pm.
Old Sep 5th 2020, 10:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

So, within 24 hours we had had an utter deluge, 4-5 inches, mostly in a couple of hours, with more rain later in the week too. ..... And not the slighest sign of any water inside. So, on to other projects!
I had leaks on several windows (window surrounds) at my condo in AZ. AZ has long periods of total dryness with short bursts of 'monsoon' weather. My unit was an 'end unit' with windows on 3 sides. I kept having people look at and 'fix' my window leaks, and we kept declaring victory due to seeing no water during a particular deluge, only to be proven wrong a short while later. In my case, it seems like the wind direction at the time of the storm was a huge factor.
Old Sep 5th 2020, 10:31 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I had leaks on several windows (window surrounds) at my condo in AZ. AZ has long periods of total dryness with short bursts of 'monsoon' weather. My unit was an 'end unit' with windows on 3 sides. I kept having people look at and 'fix' my window leaks, and we kept declaring victory due to seeing no water during a particular deluge, only to be proven wrong a short while later. In my case, it seems like the wind direction at the time of the storm was a huge factor.
I agree windows are another problem entirely, but this is a roof, so gets lots of water no matter what direct the wind is blowing (and FWIW most of our rain comes where there is little or no wind, perhaps because we are mostly surrounded by trees, and comes down vertically) , and becuase the garage/ bonus room ridge meets the main house roof about half way down the house roof, there is a lot of water that comes down the main roof and then splits to go down one side or the other, of the garage roof. ..... And I believe that it was the "bit in the middle", where water runs "onto" the ridge, which isn't that pointy, where water was making its way through where the garage roof ridge meets the main roof and making a wet patch on the ceiling, and leaking into the wall over the bonus room door.

Anyway, I adopted a multi-pronged approach, applying a generous amount of premiu roof tar (supplied mixed with reinforcing glass fibre) into the area of the join, which doesn't have to be particularly aesthetically pleasing as it is high up on the roof and is black tar on a black shingle roof. So I both worked the tar into the seams and where the main roof shingle had been notched over the ridge shingle, then I smoothed and smeared tar over the join, to make a good seal and promote run off. I then applied tar to the seams and joints within 6"-8" of the ridge-roof join. Then as a final additional precaution (which I know would have been totally ineffective in the deluge we receoved on Monday), I used a tough plastic bag (which had had foil-wrapped chocolates in it) as an improvised piping bag and added two overlapping diagonal beads of tar on the main roof, so as to encourage water coming down the roof to go left or right before it actually reached the ridge. I have had some success previously with such a technique to "encourage" rain to flow to one side and into a gutter rather than run further down the roof and then spill over a gable end and rot the gable end board.

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 5th 2020 at 10:37 pm.
Old Sep 6th 2020, 3:19 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

I agree windows are another problem entirely, but this is a roof, so gets lots of water no matter what direct the wind is blowing (and FWIW most of our rain comes where there is little or no wind, perhaps because we are mostly surrounded by trees, and comes down vertically) , and becuase the garage/ bonus room ridge meets the main house roof about half way down the house roof, there is a lot of water that comes down the main roof and then splits to go down one side or the other, of the garage roof. ..... And I believe that it was the "bit in the middle", where water runs "onto" the ridge, which isn't that pointy, where water was making its way through where the garage roof ridge meets the main roof and making a wet patch on the ceiling, and leaking into the wall over the bonus room door.

Anyway, I adopted a multi-pronged approach, applying a generous amount of premiu roof tar (supplied mixed with reinforcing glass fibre) into the area of the join, which doesn't have to be particularly aesthetically pleasing as it is high up on the roof and is black tar on a black shingle roof. So I both worked the tar into the seams and where the main roof shingle had been notched over the ridge shingle, then I smoothed and smeared tar over the join, to make a good seal and promote run off. I then applied tar to the seams and joints within 6"-8" of the ridge-roof join. Then as a final additional precaution (which I know would have been totally ineffective in the deluge we receoved on Monday), I used a tough plastic bag (which had had foil-wrapped chocolates in it) as an improvised piping bag and added two overlapping diagonal beads of tar on the main roof, so as to encourage water coming down the roof to go left or right before it actually reached the ridge. I have had some success previously with such a technique to "encourage" rain to flow to one side and into a gutter rather than run further down the roof and then spill over a gable end and rot the gable end board.
All I remember is “foil-wrapped chocolates”.
Old Sep 14th 2020, 10:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

First room is pretty much done. Family room. Carpet removed for laminate. Light fittings removed and changed. Popcorn removed from the ceiling. Shiplap added to the far wall and whitewashed. This house is twice the size of our old one, so just need to get some more furniture and a rug or 2 to make it more homely.

Old Sep 14th 2020, 10:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markonline1
First room is pretty much done. Family room. Carpet removed for laminate. Light fittings removed and changed. Popcorn removed from the ceiling. Shiplap added to the far wall and whitewashed. This house is twice the size of our old one, so just need to get some more furniture and a rug or 2 to make it more homely.

Project looking good. Also saving a bundle of money but best of all not having to deal with contractors. I did this project today. Building form and hand mixing concrete with color added. Will let set up a couple of days before removing forms. In meantime may have to shoot a armadillo or two who have been digging up the area around this project. I have just about had enough.

Added color to sacrete 80 lb bags. Forms are 2 by 4’s.
Old Sep 14th 2020, 11:07 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

And people keep telling me owning a house isn't fun.... Looks fun to me having all that stuff to do, and create and change around whenever you desire.
Old Sep 15th 2020, 3:31 am
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
And people keep telling me owning a house isn't fun.... Looks fun to me having all that stuff to do, and create and change around whenever you desire.
It's a whole lot less fun when you see how much it costs though. Or when something boring breaks like a fridge and needs replacing.

Last edited by SpoogleDrummer; Sep 15th 2020 at 3:38 am.
Old Sep 15th 2020, 3:47 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer
It's a whole lot less fun when you see how much it costs though. Or when something boring breaks like a fridge and needs replacing.
Probably cheaper owning a home in TN and doing repairs than it is just to rent an apartment where I am. Heck my sister in Arizona even with the repairs she has had to do, comes out a head of the game, but eh rent is so inflated here its a horrible value, but need low 6 figure income to buy a modest house.
Old Sep 15th 2020, 4:18 am
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Probably cheaper owning a home in TN and doing repairs than it is just to rent an apartment where I am. Heck my sister in Arizona even with the repairs she has had to do, comes out a head of the game, but eh rent is so inflated here its a horrible value, but need low 6 figure income to buy a modest house.
Probably so long as you don't live in Nashville etc. The issue I have is every time something breaks I see it as an opportunity to buy more tools so the cost adds up fast. Not to mention every project seems to grow as I plan it, my next project is replacing the kitchen cabinets. But as I'm doing that I may as well replace the horrible wood paneling in there with drywall, and as I'm doing that I may as well replace the windows etc etc. Might be cheaper to just buy a new house.
Old Sep 15th 2020, 12:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer
Probably so long as you don't live in Nashville etc. The issue I have is every time something breaks I see it as an opportunity to buy more tools so the cost adds up fast. Not to mention every project seems to grow as I plan it, my next project is replacing the kitchen cabinets. But as I'm doing that I may as well replace the horrible wood paneling in there with drywall, and as I'm doing that I may as well replace the windows etc etc. Might be cheaper to just buy a new house.
If you are into DIY check out a website called “raw doors” you can buy custom doors in 5 different woods very cheaply. You then make plywood boxes with hardwood trim or if old cabinets solid just replace or overlay fronts. I built all the cabinets in my 4 year old old house I built for about $1000. Found the granite on Craigslist for another $350.

Old Sep 15th 2020, 3:23 pm
You aint seen me, right?

Originally Posted by ddsrph
If you are into DIY check out a website called “raw doors” you can buy custom doors in 5 different woods very cheaply. You then make plywood boxes with hardwood trim or if old cabinets solid just replace or overlay fronts. I built all the cabinets in my 4 year old old house I built for about $1000. Found the granite on Craigslist for another $350.
Thanks but I've pretty much got my mind set on getting a Sawstop table saw with router table built in and can only justify that to myself if I make everything including the doors myself. I know there are cheaper table saws out there but I also know my job would be a lot harder with less fingers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.