Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Home and garden projects

Home and garden projects

Old Aug 18th 2020, 5:15 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Home and garden projects

Originally Posted by newadventure
Thanks!
Made from pine. Would have loved to use something like oak, but that would have been expensive and i had no idea if it was going to work or not ....
So it's a prototype - now you can make one from oak.

I don't currently have room for a workshop, so my cabinet making is rather limited, but I am working, rather slowly, on "arm tables" to go across the arms of our Adirondac chairs, and I made a prototype from rough-sawn pine before moving on to make the "real ones" from tulip poplar.
..... Exactly - you can't see all the little mistakes from here!
I understand - the real skill is knowing how to hide the minor production errors.

Old Aug 18th 2020, 5:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Good looking table.
Old Aug 18th 2020, 5:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks!
Made from pine. Would have loved to use something like oak, but that would have been expensive and i had no idea if it was going to work or not

Exactly - you can't see all the little mistakes from here!
I Love it! And I love the rug, too ...!

Honestly, I think it looks great in pine! I grew up with a good deal of Oak, and when I first came to the US (80s), Oak was 'everywhere' - tables, cabinets, etc. My first set of furniture (coffee tables, end tables, bedside tables, etc) were all oak, and my first three homes (condos) here in San Francisco all had classic oak flooring. I have grown to really dislike it and now, that classic grain pattern just turns me off. Today, if I wanted a harder wood, I'd go maple, alder, etc. Anything but oak! So well done!
Old Aug 18th 2020, 6:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

newadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks y'all! I was chuffed how it turned out. I have left a couple of slots to fit extensions at either end. The idea was to be able to sit many people down at the same time when we had another family visiting. Covid 19 put paid to that idea, so instead we can have another couple round and socially distance at the same table
Old Aug 18th 2020, 6:16 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizzyq
I will be making this https://theviewfromgreatisland.com/s...-pepper-jelly/ once I have ripe hot chillies. I put it into the jars hot, like jam, screw the lids down tight and wait to hear them pop sealed as they cool and then store them in the garage fridge until needed.
Many thanks! I'm always interested in a new chili recipe. Here is my tried and true recipe--its from an old Indian cookbook, so I tried to photograph the page. As you can see from the stains, the book has been well used! I find a hybrid called Super Chili is perfect for this, and I use Canola rather than the sesame oil. I also use rather more oil than the recipe calls for, to ensure that the chilies are all submerged while the jars wait to be opened.

In the fall when the habaneros are ready, I make this sauce, which is very tasty and a useful thing to have in the fridge. By the way, neither recipe needs water bath processing. The Indian pickle sits on the shelf in a cool basement until it is opened; the habanero sauce is kept in the fridge.

Habanero Hot Sauce
Old Aug 18th 2020, 6:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks y'all! I was chuffed how it turned out. I have left a couple of slots to fit extensions at either end. The idea was to be able to sit many people down at the same time when we had another family visiting. Covid 19 put paid to that idea, so instead we can have another couple round and socially distance at the same table
I was wondering about the 'ends'. Obviously, with that type of leg design, you can't seat anyone at the ends. But if you have some form of extensions, that could help. I too have a table (bought, not made!), and without the extensions, it's not really comfortable to sit at the ends (no legroom). I struggled over what type of leg design to go with when buying for that reason. I can't see how you would insert your extensions ... and that's a huge complement, because if you do it right, you shouldn't be able to see it!
Old Aug 18th 2020, 7:19 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Many thanks! I'm always interested in a new chili recipe. Here is my tried and true recipe--its from an old Indian cookbook, so I tried to photograph the page. As you can see from the stains, the book has been well used! I find a hybrid called Super Chili is perfect for this, and I use Canola rather than the sesame oil. I also use rather more oil than the recipe calls for, to ensure that the chilies are all submerged while the jars wait to be opened.

In the fall when the habaneros are ready, I make this sauce, which is very tasty and a useful thing to have in the fridge. By the way, neither recipe needs water bath processing. The Indian pickle sits on the shelf in a cool basement until it is opened; the habanero sauce is kept in the fridge.

Habanero Hot Sauce
They both look good - thank you!
Old Aug 18th 2020, 7:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

newadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I was wondering about the 'ends'. Obviously, with that type of leg design, you can't seat anyone at the ends. But if you have some form of extensions, that could help. I too have a table (bought, not made!), and without the extensions, it's not really comfortable to sit at the ends (no legroom). I struggled over what type of leg design to go with when buying for that reason. I can't see how you would insert your extensions ... and that's a huge complement, because if you do it right, you shouldn't be able to see it!
There is a double cross piece at either end with slots cut in. The extensions will be on arms that fit into the slots. Hopefully can see in this picture:

Old Aug 18th 2020, 8:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

PS welsh dragon is on a cornhole board that was made by my son and decorated by his friend. My son's effort is below:

Old Aug 18th 2020, 8:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizzyq
They both look good - thank you!
Have you developed a taste for New Mexico Green Chili peppers? When I lived in Albuquerque you could get them on about anything you ordered in a restaurant even many fast food joints. In season a lot of people would be selling them on the side of the road.
Old Aug 18th 2020, 10:03 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

There is a double cross piece at either end with slots cut in. The extensions will be on arms that fit into the slots. Hopefully can see in this picture:
That looks good, so long as the arms go a good way through the slots, to give plenty of leverage against the weight of the leaf and whatever is on the leaf.

You might want to check the statbility of the table with one leaf installed, and perhaps consider having two short leaves (one for each end) for occasions when you "only need one long leaf".
Old Aug 18th 2020, 11:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Farmhouse table project completed

Very nice. As a time served wood butcher, I'm curious to know if you used tensioning bars?
Old Aug 19th 2020, 1:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Makes perfect sense! My table, for what it's worth, uses inserts rather than end-pieces. That is - to extend the table, you pull out the existing ends (which are on sliders much like your design) to create a gap, then insert flat pieces into the gap. The two ends are not correctly aligned such that the table is not 'flat' near the ends, and I'm considering returning it.

The white pole was placed to illustrate the lack of flatness. The picture shows the table with the end pulled out, ready to receive the insert.

This pic shows the table with the inserts in place, again, taken to illustrate the problem to the vendor.

Old Aug 20th 2020, 8:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

You might want to check the statbility of the table with one leaf installed, and perhaps consider having two short leaves (one for each end) for occasions when you "only need one long leaf".
Yep, good thinking, will give it a go

Very nice. As a time served wood butcher, I'm curious to know if you used tensioning bars?
I don't think so, but not completely sure what tensioning bars are. It's held together by glue, dowels and screws

This pic shows the table with the inserts in place, again, taken to illustrate the problem to the vendor.
I think that is a neater way to handle extensions, but also more complicated. Lack of level looks like a problem. I guess the question is whether it is worth the hassle of returning the table
Old Aug 20th 2020, 8:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I think that is a neater way to handle extensions, but also more complicated. Lack of level looks like a problem. I guess the question is whether it is worth the hassle of returning the table
I discussed with the vendor, they said multiple customers had complained and they were willing to offer me a full refund/exchange. But I didn't find a suitable replacement before Covid hit and now I'm not in the furniture shopping mood!

They said the design was, 'bias' the ends upwards so that, under weight, they would flatten down. I can, in fact, put my body weight on it, and the end does go down, but - looks 'odd' otherwise! I've looked into ways of adjusting it but can't see any. I suspect I will simply ignore it. The price on this table was stupidly low, IMO, considering what it is. Something like $600 I think ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.