Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Home and garden projects

Home and garden projects

Old Jun 2nd 2020, 1:33 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Home and garden projects

Originally Posted by Maste
Pulaski, my bad. Having read chawkins response, it turns out it is lath and plaster! ....
OK, so cover it with ¼" drywall if you want a quick fix, or tear out the L&P and replace with ½" drywall for a more professional "permanent" solution.
Old Jun 2nd 2020, 5:31 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Yes, if it has been wet in the past, that can seriously degrade the gypsum layer, but I still wonder what happened to the paper layer as I am not familiar with drywall "crumbling" without something having already removed or damaged the paper covering.
Could it be, someone had drilled holes in to hang that wire shelving stuff up?

Our old place, had what looked like that stuff taken down as you could see the lines in the wall, and spots along there was a bit crumbly.
Old Jun 2nd 2020, 5:42 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Could it be, someone had drilled holes in to hang that wire shelving stuff up? .....
Very possibly so - Americans are, IME very nonchalant about the need to attach shelves and other heavy items to studs rather than to the lath and plaster or dry wall. TV brackets come with advice about anchoring the bracket to the drywall panel, not necessarily the studs, and even over-the-stove microwave installation instructions only specify the need for one lag bolt into a stud to anchor a microwave to the wall, when a 30" wide microwave has a 94% liklihood of straddling two 16"-on-centre wall studs.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 2nd 2020 at 5:44 pm.
Old Jun 2nd 2020, 6:57 pm

My drain-digging project, immediately along side the driveway, which I was planning to finish digging, lay the pipe, then cover over this week, is now on hold becuase the ditch is has become a tadpole nursery!
Old Jun 6th 2020, 4:01 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

So our Pecan tree has web worms all over it. Or rather it did! We seem to have successfully burned them out.
Not sure if we will get Pecans this year but I'm glad we got rid of them!
Old Jun 6th 2020, 4:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma

So our Pecan tree has web worms all over it. Or rather it did! We seem to have successfully burned them out.
Not sure if we will get Pecans this year but I'm glad we got rid of them!
That photo is a work of art! Beautiful shapes, shades, colors! It would look great on a wall about 4 ft x 6 ft!

Can you take a second pic to show the tree more in context? The close up is certainly interesting, and honestly very beautiful, but I have a hard time knowing what I'm looking at!
Old Jun 6th 2020, 1:39 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
That photo is a work of art! Beautiful shapes, shades, colors! It would look great on a wall about 4 ft x 6 ft!

Can you take a second pic to show the tree more in context? The close up is certainly interesting, and honestly very beautiful, but I have a hard time knowing what I'm looking at!

This is how it looks in the tree. The webs cover the branches pulling all the leaves in and the worms ( actually they are a caterpiller) destroy all the leaves .
Old Jun 6th 2020, 4:19 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

When I saw similar in NJ, I thought they were made by huge spiders.
Old Jun 6th 2020, 4:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

This is how it looks in the tree. The webs cover the branches pulling all the leaves in and the worms ( actually they are a caterpiller) destroy all the leaves .
Wow, that is a strange phenomenon! How interesting!

I've been wanting to put up some 'big art' on my walls in my new place. I've decided I want modern / abstract stuff - a break from my past tastes. I've been taking photographs for over 40 years now, and have a massive collection of photos. It occurred to me, what I could do for my 'wall art' would be to find some old photo of something, then either zoom in on a section of a picture, and/or, do some heavy photoshop processing to turn a 'real scene' into something very abstract. I never did come up with a picture, and ended up buying a bunch of art from the store, but ... your 1st picture above is very much along the lines of what I was thinking about! Either use it as is, or perhaps blur it, or saturate / desaturate it, mess with the color temperature, etc etc. Fascinating stuff!
Old Jun 6th 2020, 4:55 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Wow, that is a strange phenomenon! How interesting!

I've been wanting to put up some 'big art' on my walls in my new place. I've decided I want modern / abstract stuff - a break from my past tastes. I've been taking photographs for over 40 years now, and have a massive collection of photos. It occurred to me, what I could do for my 'wall art' would be to find some old photo of something, then either zoom in on a section of a picture, and/or, do some heavy photoshop processing to turn a 'real scene' into something very abstract. I never did come up with a picture, and ended up buying a bunch of art from the store, but ... your 1st picture above is very much along the lines of what I was thinking about! Either use it as is, or perhaps blur it, or saturate / desaturate it, mess with the color temperature, etc etc. Fascinating stuff!
The first picture was a fluke really. I was trying to help move all the fallen "nests" away from the trees so we could burn them. It was hard to see in the bright light so i just kept clicking randomly on my phone! .
I may have to see about turning it into an art piece!

I'm just glad we have got rid of the webs.i hope they don't return!
Old Jun 6th 2020, 5:06 pm

..... This is how it looks in the tree. The webs cover the branches pulling all the leaves in and the worms ( actually they are a caterpiller) destroy all the leaves .
We get something similar here, though from your pictures perhaps not quite so big. They seem to prefer cherry trees, and Mrs P calls them "tent caterpillars". I think some locals here in NC call them "bag worms". Per some real-time Google research by Mrs P, apparently "fall web worms" is the correct name, .... but they're still caterpillars!

Whatever you call them, they completely destroy the leaves, and seem to kill the branch, and while a tree can survive a few tents/bags, in extreme cases they can kill the tree.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 6th 2020 at 5:12 pm.
Old Jun 6th 2020, 5:53 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Pulaski
We get something similar here, though from your pictures perhaps not quite so big. They seem to prefer cherry trees, and Mrs P calls them "tent caterpillars". I think some locals here in NC call them "bag worms". Per some real-time Google research by Mrs P, apparently "fall web worms" is the correct name, .... but they're still caterpillars!

Whatever you call them, they completely destroy the leaves, and seem to kill the branch, and while a tree can survive a few tents/bags, in extreme cases they can kill the tree.
Yes they are called Fall web worms and yes they are caterpillars. They are also different from the worms/caterpillars that we had earlier this year from our oak trees. These web worms were in our Pecan tree and also just starting in one of our pear trees. If we look across to nearby neighbours it seems mostly pecan trees. Cherry trees don't seem to grow so well here.
Old Jun 6th 2020, 6:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

We have both web/catapiller
worms and bag worms here in Tennessee. The bag worms hang off small limbs and consume the sap until the limb dies. They look like tiny pine cones but different texture. The other catapiller worms are a giant structure that covers a limb and eats the leaves.
Old Jun 13th 2020, 2:39 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Adding this to a few more threads. I know it's off topic, but Jersey's put it in lots of places so I think I'm safe.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated, I know.

Gizza Job
Old Jul 14th 2020, 7:57 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Our outdoor hydroponics system is starting to be productive. We are growing cucumbers, melons, various peppers, aubergines, various basils and also tomatoes. Plants went in on memorial day weekend, as that is when we are frost free.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.