Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Home and garden projects

Home and garden projects

Old Jan 15th 2020, 6:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Home and garden projects

Originally Posted by Pulaski
My first thought would be to check the "grid", a mesh insert where the water comes out - almost all US taps have them, and it causes a nice even water flow, as opposed to the random, uneven, and often "twisted" stream of water that is common from UK taps.
I agree. I had a sudden lack of flow in my kitchen tap a couple of years ago and it took me far too long to work out that it was that mesh that was partially blocked. In my case it just unscrewed and could be easily cleaned.
Old Jan 15th 2020, 6:42 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
Looks great. I plan on turning my small shed into a bar this spring.
That seems like a very worthwhile project.
Old Jan 15th 2020, 6:45 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
I agree. I had a sudden lack of flow in my kitchen tap a couple of years ago and it took me far too long to work out that it was that mesh that was partially blocked. In my case it just unscrewed and could be easily cleaned.
Looking at the picture Steerpike posted it's hard to tell, but his might be https://www.amazon.com/Polished-Chrome-Waterfall-Bathroom-Faucet/dp/B01N0UAFVV, which doesn't appear to have a screw-in grid.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 15th 2020 at 7:29 pm.
Old Jan 15th 2020, 7:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Looking at the picture Steerpike posted it's hard to tell, but his might be an artsy-fartsy one like this, which doesn't appear to have a screw-in grid.
Yeah, I wondered about that. No artsy-fartsy taps in my house
Old Jan 15th 2020, 8:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Looking at the picture Steerpike posted it's hard to tell, but his might be an artsy-fartsy one like this, which doesn't appear to have a screw-in grid.
Wow - it looks EXACTLY like that!!!! And interestingly, it's a 'no-name' brand. I just got back from my local Ace hardware (less selection, more people on hand to help) and they didn't have anything appropriate for the 'brass ring' removal, but they did have a 'cartridge' that looked identical. It was a kohler brand:

I'd be willing to buy it and try it but ... without the removal tool, I'm stuck. So now it's off to Home Depot to see what they have. I also have a local 'pro' plumbing supply store, so I'll try that too.

For the record, I HATE this faucet! At full power, water positively blasts out, and splashes everywhere; at lower levels, the water dribbles and spurts in a very unpleasing manner. It was in the house when we arrived. Anyway - off in search of the 'puller' tool.
Old Jan 15th 2020, 8:50 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Wow - it looks EXACTLY like that!!!! And interestingly, it's a 'no-name' brand. ....
I thought it might be, as I searched a good bit (Google images) and couldn't find a match in any of the common US brands - Kohler, Price-Pfister, American Standard, etc. The one I linked is very similar to yours, it appears to be a no-brand tap, but unlike yours has a narrow collar around the base, so yours may be an earlier version.
.... At full power, water positively blasts out, and splashes everywhere; at lower levels, the water dribbles and spurts in a very unpleasing manner. ....
Which is why most US taps have a grid, as it moderates the flow and streamlines it, whether at high pressure or just a dribble.
Old Jan 15th 2020, 8:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Ugh ... electrical problem. Just failed a city inspection on a bathroom remodel (that only included new counter and cabinet, no electrical work at all). The inspector tested the GFCI socket next to the sink; the socket correctly 'tripped' but when he then pressed 'reset' on the socket, it did NOT reset. Circuit breaker was NOT tripped. This wiring was not changed in the remodel; it was 'inherited' when we bought the place.

I just investigated, and found (after the inspector had left) that the GFCI socket in the bathroom (bathroom 1) is tied to the GFCI socket in bathroom 2. Once I reset the socket in bathroom 2, the socket in bathroom 1 could be reset and worked. I tested again; pressing 'test' on bathroom 1 socket tripped the GFCI socket in bathroom 2; resetting bathroom 2 GFCI socket allowed me to reset the socket in bathroom 1.

In my view, this is 'safe', in that, I have multiple GFCI's protecting me, but - I can imagine it is not 'code' to have one GFCI socket 'downstream' from another GFCI socket. Is that ok or not? If I show the inspector that another GFCI socket DID trip when he did his test, will he accept that?

One thought I have is to replace the GFCI socket in bathroom 1 with a regular socket, putting a sticker on it showing that it IS GFCI protected by the upstream socket in bathroom 2. But again - is that code (to have a bathroom socket not 'natively' protected, but rather protected by another GFCI socket in another room)?

Any thoughts from the brain trust? I'm desperately trying to get the inspection signed off as I'm running out of time ...

ETA - simple diagram of what is currently in place.

Last edited by Steerpike; Jan 15th 2020 at 9:14 pm.
Old Jan 15th 2020, 8:59 pm

Ugh ... electrical problem. Just failed a city inspection on a bathroom remodel (that only included new counter and cabinet, no electrical work at all). The inspector tested the GFCI socket next to the sink; the socket correctly 'tripped' but when he then pressed 'reset' on the socket, it did NOT reset. Circuit breaker was NOT tripped.

I just investigated, and found that the GFCI socket in the bathroom (bathroom 1) is tied to the GFCI socket in bathroom 2. Once I reset the socket in bathroom 2, the socket in bathroom 1 could be reset and worked. I tested again; pressing 'test' on bathroom 1 socket tripped the GFCI socket in bathroom 2; resetting bathroom 2 GFCI socket allowed me to reset the socket in bathroom 1.

In my view, this is 'safe', in that, I have multiple GFCI's protecting me, but - I can imagine it is not 'code' to have one GFCI socket 'downstream' from another GFCI socket. Is that ok or not?

One thought I have is to replace the GFCI socket in bathroom 1 with a regular socket, putting a sticker on it showing that it IS GFCI protected by the upstream socket in bathroom 2. But again - is that code (to have a bathroom socket not 'natively' protected, but rather protected by another GFCI socket in another room)?

Any thoughts from the brain trust? I'm desperately trying to get the inspection signed off as I'm running out of time ...
We have one GFCI that covers two bathrooms, so I would considered that to be normal, and is code-acceptable in NC, or at least was at the time the house was built ..... and I would guess still is. And yes, my recommendation would be to remove the downstream GFCI and pretend it hadn't existed.
Old Jan 15th 2020, 9:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

We have one GFCI that covers two bathrooms, so I would considered that to be normal, and is code-acceptable in NC, or at least was at the time the house was built ..... and I would guess still is. And yes, my recommendation would be to remove the downstream GFCI and pretend it hadn't existed.
That's what I'd do.

I'd probably also use it as an excuse to buy a simple gfci tester.
Old Jan 15th 2020, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by tom169
.... I'd probably also use it as an excuse to buy a simple gfci tester.
I'd use it as an excuse to buy a professional-grade electrical multi-tester. ​​​​
Old Jan 16th 2020, 4:10 am
Forum Regular

Location: from Yorkshire, via Hampshire and Surrey to NC Triangle
mommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to allmommapudding is a name known to all

It's been operational for about 6 months and now I want to replace the under-cabinet lights with the same (currently has LED 'pucks' that are 110V). I'm a bit nervous about using self-adhesive strips 'upside down' but I can always 'assist' the strips with glue or staples.
I got some channels that glue or screw in and diffusers for mine that are upside down from Lee Valley. (Fascinating catalogs)
I also sourced the components from other cheaper suppliers,that I’d need to dim them from looking closely at their kits on offer. Works a treat.
Old Jan 16th 2020, 4:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by mommapudding
I got some channels that glue or screw in and diffusers for mine that are upside down from Lee Valley. (Fascinating catalogs)
I also sourced the components from other cheaper suppliers,that I’d need to dim them from looking closely at their kits on offer. Works a treat.
Wow - thanks for the tip! Looks like Lee Valley has some interesting accessories! (example: https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop...e-led-lighting ). Dimming is my next challenge; the lights are much brighter than I expected. The lights themselves are so cheap, and installation so easy, I viewed this project as a 'learner' project, quite willing to re-do the whole thing from scratch based on experience.

I've invested pretty heavily in my Samsung SmartThings automation hub, including light switches, dimmers, motion sensors, etc. As much as I love to tinker and play, my g/f has no patience for any of it; she wants a wall switch to turn things on/off, so I've been focusing on switches such as these -
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N4F487U/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1which are 100% manual in addition to wireless controlled. So she can turn the lights on/off, or dim up/down, using the mechanical wall switch while I can programmatically do the same from afar.
Old Jan 17th 2020, 7:11 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

Ugh ... electrical problem. Just failed a city inspection on a bathroom remodel (that only included new counter and cabinet, no electrical work at all). The inspector tested the GFCI socket next to the sink; the socket correctly 'tripped' but when he then pressed 'reset' on the socket, it did NOT reset. Circuit breaker was NOT tripped. This wiring was not changed in the remodel; it was 'inherited' when we bought the place.

I just investigated, and found (after the inspector had left) that the GFCI socket in the bathroom (bathroom 1) is tied to the GFCI socket in bathroom 2. Once I reset the socket in bathroom 2, the socket in bathroom 1 could be reset and worked. I tested again; pressing 'test' on bathroom 1 socket tripped the GFCI socket in bathroom 2; resetting bathroom 2 GFCI socket allowed me to reset the socket in bathroom 1.

In my view, this is 'safe', in that, I have multiple GFCI's protecting me, but - I can imagine it is not 'code' to have one GFCI socket 'downstream' from another GFCI socket. Is that ok or not? If I show the inspector that another GFCI socket DID trip when he did his test, will he accept that?

When were the sockets installed? I have multiple GFCI sockets on the same circuit and when one trips it doesn't trip the others so it's possible one of yours is faulty or incorrectly installed.
Old Jan 18th 2020, 10:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by SpoogleDrummer
When were the sockets installed? I have multiple GFCI sockets on the same circuit and when one trips it doesn't trip the others so it's possible one of yours is faulty or incorrectly installed.
https://youtu.be/nwzgitedljA?t=931
They were already present when I moved in last year; no idea of age. What you are saying is, if you have multiple GFCI's on a circuit, they should trip 'themselves' rather than trip the 'upstream' device? At this point, I've bought a standard (non-GFCI) outlet to replace the one in the bathroom. Sounds like that should pass inspection. After that, I can decide if I want to do more.
Old Jan 19th 2020, 3:54 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

They were already present when I moved in last year; no idea of age. What you are saying is, if you have multiple GFCI's on a circuit, they should trip 'themselves' rather than trip the 'upstream' device? At this point, I've bought a standard (non-GFCI) outlet to replace the one in the bathroom. Sounds like that should pass inspection. After that, I can decide if I want to do more.
Exactly. I've got 3 on the same circuit and it would be a real pain if I had to go through resetting each one as one of them is outside.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.