Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Home and garden projects

Home and garden projects

Old Apr 15th 2019, 2:50 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Home and garden projects

Originally Posted by Hotscot
We had to do the same with a C02 detector. Bought one. Stuck it on the wall with sticky pads. Sent pic to appraiser.
Sorted.
I thought you are a science guy? …. Or is the detector designed to detect global warming actually happening? I can imagine CA might have a requirement for such things!

We have a CO detector, fully functional, but out of the way over a bedroom door, which seems like as good a place as any to have it, given the reputation of carbon monoxide. When we had a new heating system installed last year I left the crew to work on the installation, and came back to find an additional CO detector slap bang in the middle of the living room wall! Well that came down immediately!

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 15th 2019 at 3:13 pm.
Old Apr 15th 2019, 3:04 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I thought you are a science guy? …. Or is the detector designed to detect global warning actually happening? I can imagine CA might have a requirement for such things!

We have a CO detector, fully functional, but out of the way over a bedroom door, which seems like as good a place as any to have it, given the reputation of carbon monoxide. When we had a new heating system installed last year I left the crew to work on the installation, and came back to find an additional CO detector slap bang in the middle of the living room wall! Well that came down immediately!
Yeah - it's always a challenge to balance aesthetics with practicality for CO detectors. The gas is very slightly lighter than air, but tends to be pretty evenly dispersed for height in indoor spaces. Most recommendations are to install CO detectors about 5 feet off the ground, but who is going to do that, slap bang in the middle of your eyeline? I like your idea of putting it in the space above a bedroom doorway. Seems a good compromise to me.
Old Apr 16th 2019, 1:24 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Before I get to your answers - thanks everyone - why are there so many 'brands' of AC unit when they are all made by just a few companies? Given that this isn't exactly a 'retail' product, it seems odd that a company like United Technologies would maintain so many sub-brands (apparently Carrier is another United Technologies sub-brand). I understand that with cars, for example, there's a long history of brand loyalty, and the different brands allow for stylistic variations ... which don't exactly apply to A/C units! Anyway - just a curiosity. ...
I don't have a certain answer, just a theory, that the legacy names have persisted in different regions, somewhat similar to why Kroger-owned groceries exist under numerous different names in different parts of the US. While there are numerous AC brands available in different parts of the US there only appear to be limited choices in any one location - that is certainly true here in NC. So when local AC contractors are used to installing Acme equipment there may be no benefit, and some detriment, to United Technologies trying to rebrand Acme after they acquire the name. If I could no longer get the Acme brand that grandpa always used I may go looking at what other brands are out there rather than taking the UT equipment that I am being pushed towards - and personally I certainly would look around if the brand I trusted was discontinued.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 16th 2019 at 2:09 pm.
Old Apr 16th 2019, 2:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, different marketing approaches to varied demographics.
And stores like Home Depot and Lowe's can carry different lines and have local and store specific offers.
It's an effective technique.
In addition if a market is flooded with sub brands by the same company that serves to keep out genuine competitors..
Old Apr 17th 2019, 6:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have a certain answer, just a theory, that the legacy names have persisted in different regions, somewhat similar to why Kroger-owned groceries exist under numerous different names in different parts of the US. While there are numerous AC brands available in different parts of the US there only appear to be limited choices in any one location - that is certainly true here in NC. So when local AC contractors are used to installing Acme equipment there may be no benefit, and some detriment, to United Technologies trying to rebrand Acme after they acquire the name. If I could no longer get the Acme brand that grandpa always used I may go looking at what other brands are out there rather than taking the UT equipment that I am being pushed towards - and personally I certainly would look around if the brand I trusted was discontinued.
I've had a few quotes now, and I asked the guys who were making the pitch. One guy explained that they do 'builder brands' - a line they sell for less to developers and builders doing multiple homes at once. For Trane, it's Ameristar. They use most of the same parts but not all.

A new issue for me is the size of the new condensers; the most expensive / efficient system has a condenser that sits way higher than the current one and will present a bit of a 'view' issue.

These are the numbers I'm getting from a Trane vendor:

Ameristar by Trane 14 SEER 3 ton gas split system $5,385.00 
Trane XR14 3 ton gas split system $5,985.00 -$300 instant Trane rebate or 0% financing for 12 months
Trane XR16 3 ton gas split system $7,098.00 -$500 instant Trane rebate or 0% financing for 60 month +$225 SRP mail in
rebate.
Trane XR17 3 ton gas split system 2 stage high efficiency $9,160.00 -$700 instant Trane rebate or 0% financing for 60
months + $450.00 Mail in SRP Rebate

These include 2 year labor wty. A competitor builds in 10 year labor warranty but offers to drop it to 2 years if I prefer.

One of the biggest issues I see is making sure they do a great job of attaching the air handler to the ducting. On both my systems today, there is a virtual wind-tunnel of cold air leaking from the transition area above the air handlers; they seem to use 'tape' which doesn't last. And once the new air handler is in place, it's hard to get at the ducting from the inside. I guess I'll just have to watch them closely on that part. I wonder if I can insist on them creating an access hole/plate - one that can be sealed off, but used to gain access to the inside of the ducting for cleaning / sealing later? I'm talking about the areas indicated by the arrows here

Old Apr 17th 2019, 8:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

I thought you are a science guy? …. Or is the detector designed to detect global warming actually happening? I can imagine CA might have a requirement for such things!

Brainfart!

(Trapped in CA too long.)
Old Apr 21st 2019, 10:26 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

A local farm was binning a huge number of hops, so I was able to get a bunch for free. They're potted and planted, depending on the type and we have old fence posts without a fence, for them to grow up, but no trellis for them to move along. Was thinking of string, but we'll see. Don't want them to go too crazy.

I've never brewed with fresh hops before, only used pellets, so this could be interesting.
Old Apr 22nd 2019, 12:14 am

Originally Posted by Bob
A local farm was binning a huge number of hops, so I was able to get a bunch for free. They're potted and planted, depending on the type and we have old fence posts without a fence, for them to grow up, but no trellis for them to move along. Was thinking of string, but we'll see. Don't want them to go too crazy.

I've never brewed with fresh hops before, only used pellets, so this could be interesting.
That sounds cool, fresh hops.

I really should try my hand at brewing, ... maybe in my spare time!
Old Apr 22nd 2019, 12:28 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

Cool.
We cracked open our first ever batch this afternoon, plenty of room for improvement...
Old Apr 23rd 2019, 8:05 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

That sounds cool, fresh hops.

I really should try my hand at brewing, ... maybe in my spare time!
The smaller cuttings, seem to be sprouting roots, so it seems to be going okay. We'll see.

Home brew, worth starting on a small 1-2 gallon batch, as you can do that with a spag pot and a gallon sized drinks cooler and then just use a couple of juice containers to brew in. See if you fancy it without spending any money.

I only ever did small batches just because of the space, but also could then do a love of them and experiment which is fun. Only gets expensive and a hassle when you're doing 5+ gallon batches.
Old Apr 24th 2019, 11:55 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Fences... Lots of fences...

Last edited by Nutek; Apr 24th 2019 at 11:58 am.
Old Apr 24th 2019, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by Nutek
Fences... Lots of fences. …..
Pretty!

Is there any room for you, or just horses?

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 24th 2019 at 12:32 pm.
Old Apr 24th 2019, 12:32 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty!

Is there any room for you, or just horses?
Horses mostly. We do have a dumpster though, so there is scope to add a Hobo should one show up.
Old Apr 24th 2019, 2:24 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Installing a metal roof on the porch and two garage doors.

Spoiler:

Last edited by lizzyq; Apr 24th 2019 at 2:30 pm.
Old Apr 24th 2019, 7:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Is that Adobe style?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.