Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Home and garden projects

Home and garden projects

Old Jun 13th 2018, 1:49 am
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Home and garden projects

Originally Posted by Nutmegger

It would seem that raising the base cabinets offers a great opportunity for crud and mice to hide!
The gap under the cabinets is closed off with kickboards just as they are with US ones. Mice will get anywhere they want to however a cabinet is constructed.
Old Jun 13th 2018, 1:57 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizzyq
The gap under the cabinets is closed off with kickboards just as they are with US ones. Mice will get anywhere they want to however a cabinet is constructed.
That explains it! All I could imagine was a big gap beckoning. Here in the woods we have enough trouble with unwelcome guests without offering a handy sanctuary!
Old Jun 13th 2018, 9:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ddsrph

It required some planning during the sheet rock phase to avoid the problem you describe. Knowing where on the wall the base cabinets and counter top and Backsplash will go is used to run a string line across the stud wall and shim it straight then Sheetrock over the straight wall. Now when the cabinets are placed the wall is straight and no gaps. This of course requires attention to detail that most builders lack. The problems you describe is why I made my own cabinets for this house and my previous house. I see no advantage of plastic legs versus a well made base regardless of century. Like previously stated the legs provide a place for dirt to collect. A well made base covered with tile looks much better and if leveling is a problem you need to question the guy who built the floor.
Nice doors, you make those too? The tile kick plate is not really my cup of tea. I've built a few bespoke kitchens in the UK but nearly always in Oak. The only advantage with plastic legs is the easy adjust option but it's hardly the end of the world mixing and matching wedges to level up units, I have yet to find a plumb floor in a new build and by the time every Tom, Dick and Harry has had a go in older homes it's no better, flippers especially should be shot on site!

Edit: That was typed in 'shot on sight' but 'shot on site' works too.

Last edited by zzrmark; Jun 13th 2018 at 9:54 pm.
Old Jun 13th 2018, 11:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

ZZ
I bought the doors online from a company in kansas called "Raw Doors" they make to any dimension in five different hardwoods. Not very expensive and they arrive sanded smooth as glass with nothing left to do but apply finish.
I feel by building a two by six base with the short sides on two foot centers you are adding great strength and rigidity to the base cabinets. The front can be finished any way you like. Hardwood would have been a good choice but my floor was wood look tile and may have clashed with other hardwood.
If anyone out there has old cabinets that are structurally sound you can order new doors and some thin matching wood to glue on your cabinet frames and have a new looking kitchen for a fraction of the cost of new cabinets. I built mine from high quality 3/4 inch plywood bought the doors and found the modular granite on Craig's list and have about $1800 in the whole project.
Old Jun 14th 2018, 7:27 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

One tomato plant gone already, but at least a bunch of other things appear to be sprouting and doing things in the veg bed.
Old Jun 15th 2018, 1:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
One tomato plant gone already, but at least a bunch of other things appear to be sprouting and doing things in the veg bed.
I've got tomatoes, peppers, coconuts, and mangoes this year!
Old Jun 15th 2018, 7:53 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Tomatoes generally do poorly in my garden, not enough pure full-on sunshine to keep them happy. I only started two tomato plants this summer & as expected they are looking leggy & less-than-fruitful, i.e. rather moping a bit....

My lettuce on the other hand is growing so fast we can't eat enough to keep up with it. It always starts out well, though most summers the chipmunks, woodchuck, or deer get into it before I know it and eat it all down to bare nubbin stems. So far this has NOT happened this summer, perhaps because I interspersed marigolds between the lettuce plants--it's the first year I've tried that. (Did try interplanting nasturtiums last year, but they didn't grow well, & the lettuce got munched by a critter in spite of them....)

Last edited by WEBlue; Jun 15th 2018 at 8:46 pm.
Old Jul 9th 2018, 1:21 am
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Our deer are getting very tame and we are surprised by what they will eat. We leave dog food and a lot of leftover chicken out for the foxes but the deer eat it before the foxes have the chance.. This photo is from our one and only snow we had this winter.
Old Jul 9th 2018, 2:49 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

A chilli plant, I think it was, might have just been the pepper plant, anyway, it's gone.

Corn, is about shin high and still there. A couple of tomato plants are doing okay with a lot of little green things.

Herbs haven't done well at all.

Peas, or snap peas, or something beanie, are doing well. Not sure exactly, as the kids lost the labels and I never bothered with anything else, but they're in that one spot and we have two things growing in it.
Old Jul 12th 2018, 3:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Our deer are getting very tame and we are surprised by what they will eat. We leave dog food and a lot of leftover chicken out for the foxes but the deer eat it before the foxes have the chance.. This photo is from our one and only snow we had this winter.
How long have you been feeding the local foxes (and deer)? Generally, this isn't advisable and may not even be a good thing from their perspective ...

We had a family of Foxes 'move in' one year and it was absolutely fascinating and wonderful to watch them raise a family in our yard, but we never fed them. The two parents would go off hunting, and bring back bounty for the kids - rats, birds, etc. Then I suspect they took the kids off to learn how to hunt themselves. If you put out food for them, this may condition the kids to seek out food from humans, which may have negative consequences.
Old Jul 12th 2018, 6:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

Whats the best way to cut a 45 degree angle into a 6x6 beam? My mitre box only goes to 4 inches and my local store doesn't do any mitre boxes that are larger.

My best idea is to set up a guide for a circular saw and do the deepest possible cut on one or both sides, then use a handsaw for the rest and hope I don't tilt the cut too much.
Old Jul 12th 2018, 7:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anian
Whats the best way to cut a 45 degree angle into a 6x6 beam? My mitre box only goes to 4 inches and my local store doesn't do any mitre boxes that are larger.

My best idea is to set up a guide for a circular saw and do the deepest possible cut on one or both sides, then use a handsaw for the rest and hope I don't tilt the cut too much.
Peraonally I'd cut the whole thing with a handsaw. Cutting precise angles with a circular saw requires a very good saw, steady hand and a fair bit of practice. Make sure you have a nice sharp handsaw and then just take your time and let the saw do the work, going at it like a steam train or with thuggish intent will just result in a mess.

That's how a skilled boatbuilder working with lumps of Teak at over $300 a pop does it. Let's see what the DIY crowd have to say...
Old Jul 12th 2018, 11:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Anian

That’s what I would do. For the guide use a piece of wood like a 1 by 2 or thick plywood strip and screw it to the 6 by 6 to guide the saw after the deep cut you could use a handsaw to finish the cut.
Old Jul 13th 2018, 12:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Steerpike
How long have you been feeding the local foxes (and deer)? Generally, this isn't advisable and may not even be a good thing from their perspective ...

We had a family of Foxes 'move in' one year and it was absolutely fascinating and wonderful to watch them raise a family in our yard, but we never fed them. The two parents would go off hunting, and bring back bounty for the kids - rats, birds, etc. Then I suspect they took the kids off to learn how to hunt themselves. If you put out food for them, this may condition the kids to seek out food from humans, which may have negative consequences.
We seldom see the fox. The food we put out is scraps we don’t want our overweight Great Pyrenees mix to eat. We occasionally see a fox or raccoon trying to eat it but it is usually the deer that get it first. We have no hunting in our development which is a multi pronged peninsula into the very large lake with only only one road in. You can’t go far without seeing a deer.
Old Jul 13th 2018, 3:19 am
BE Forum Addict

That’s what I would do. For the guide use a piece of wood like a 1 by 2 or thick plywood strip and screw it to the 6 by 6 to guide the saw after the deep cut you could use a handsaw to finish the cut.
It might help if the OP gave us some hint as to the kind of joint required, your method would be ok for framing, although I would be tempted to use a chainsaw for that size framing cut but if it's a close joint they want that isn't going to be stuffed full of caulk then the slower, more controllable method might be a better idea. If the OP fancies your method then it will pay to try a dummy run or two with some scrap material first.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.