Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Home and garden projects

Home and garden projects

Old Jun 13th 2017, 1:36 pm
Wolf In Sheeps Clothing

Sheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Home and garden projects

Originally Posted by tom169
Awesome! I've got my pool filled up today (almost 30k gallons)

ours is only around 13K!
Old Jun 13th 2017, 1:46 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sheepdip
.... Ours is only around 13K!
He said his was designed for a diving board and is 10ft deep.
Old Jun 13th 2017, 1:56 pm
Wolf In Sheeps Clothing

Sheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
He said his was designed for a diving board and is 10ft deep.
Indeed...
Old Jun 13th 2017, 11:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute

I have recently acquired a Toto Washlet S350E. No it is not an obscure motorcycle, but more a wondrous addition to my toilet.

I spend quite a lot of work time overseas and visit Japan quite frequently.

Although I've worked in Tokyo and Osaka perhaps a dozen times in the last 3 years, I only recently plucked up the courage to fiddle with the electronic settings of the ubiquitous Japanese thunder-box.

Doing so was life-changing, as far as I'm concerned.

On my return home, I wasted no time in raiding Amazon in search of this marvel of the littlest room. My life is now complete.

I'm firmly of the belief that scrubbing ones 'secret places' with balled-up bits of paper is verging on medieval.
Old Jun 14th 2017, 5:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Awesome Welles
I have recently acquired a Toto Washlet S350E. No it is not an obscure motorcycle, but more a wondrous addition to my toilet.

I spend quite a lot of work time overseas and visit Japan quite frequently.

Although I've worked in Tokyo and Osaka perhaps a dozen times in the last 3 years, I only recently plucked up the courage to fiddle with the electronic settings of the ubiquitous Japanese thunder-box.

Doing so was life-changing, as far as I'm concerned.

On my return home, I wasted no time in raiding Amazon in search of this marvel of the littlest room. My life is now complete.

I'm firmly of the belief that scrubbing ones 'secret places' with balled-up bits of paper is verging on medieval.
Does it not splash beyond the boundary of the device, making for wet floors and walls?

ETA - just looked it up - https://washlet.totousa.com/how-it-works

So I can see how great it would be to have nice soothing water delivered right to the 'spot', but presumably you still need to use paper, so aren't you still dealing with paper - this time, damp, disintegrating paper?

Last edited by Steerpike; Jun 14th 2017 at 5:23 pm.
Old Jun 14th 2017, 5:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed...
I wish it wasn't quite so deep. There really isn't a need for it.

The pool spa looks to be draining backwards. Will look tonight to see if its a bad check valve. I hope so as that's the easiest fix.
Old Jun 14th 2017, 6:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Does it not splash beyond the boundary of the device, making for wet floors and walls?

ETA - just looked it up - https://washlet.totousa.com/how-it-works

So I can see how great it would be to have nice soothing water delivered right to the 'spot', but presumably you still need to use paper, so aren't you still dealing with paper - this time, damp, disintegrating paper?
It is very cleverly (and anatomically) designed so as to deliver a highly effective cleanse for both ladies and gentlemen (as selected on the wireless remote control, no less) without any splashing, overflow or commotion - it's all highly efficient, beautifully executed and discrete - as you'd expect of the cleanliness-obsessed Japanese people.

Initially, I did still use a little paper to reassure myself that it was accomplishing what I'd hoped it would - and being a flash git, I bought the model with the built-in air dryer, so once I've completed business, I blow-dry my posterior, so it's squeaky-clean and dry. Turns the whole thing into a bit of an event!
Old Jun 14th 2017, 8:43 pm
Wolf In Sheeps Clothing

I wish it wasn't quite so deep. There really isn't a need for it.

The pool spa looks to be draining backwards. Will look tonight to see if its a bad check valve. I hope so as that's the easiest fix.
Inspection passed
Back fill completed

Just waiting for the concrete guys now to do the decking and the electric company to upgrade our service
Old Jun 15th 2017, 12:13 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Inspection passed
Back fill completed

Just waiting for the concrete guys now to do the decking and the electric company to upgrade our service
Electric company to upgrade? How come?

Mine just takes up two breakers on the main box.

Sounds like you're not far off now. Nice one. I did my first bomb dive in the pool today and inspected the valve that prevents backflow from the spa. I think that's the culprit for my drained spa as the seal wasn't good.
Old Jun 15th 2017, 12:56 am
Wolf In Sheeps Clothing

Electric company to upgrade? How come?

Mine just takes up two breakers on the main box.

Sounds like you're not far off now. Nice one. I did my first bomb dive in the pool today and inspected the valve that prevents backflow from the spa. I think that's the culprit for my drained spa as the seal wasn't good.
The house is old and only has a 125A service and everytime you turn something on the lights dim! So we'll go up to a 200A service that should sort that out. We also don't have any room in the panel (I do have 240V into the garage and could have used that but...) so we're upgrading that too.

Can't wait to get in ours! Hope you get yours sorted soon
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 12:28 am
BE Forum Addict

So whilst on my journey of removing unused coax outlets and others, I've come across one massive bodge job.

The previous owner or perhaps a contractor has gouged out a stud to run a wire through and out of it.

Is this safe to patch with new drywall, or will I need to somehow repair the stud?
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 1:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

So whilst on my journey of removing unused coax outlets and others, I've come across one massive bodge job.

The previous owner or perhaps a contractor has gouged out a stud to run a wire through and out of it.

Is this safe to patch with new drywall, or will I need to somehow repair the stud?
How big is the hole?!
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 1:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
How big is the hole?!
It gouged about 80% of the stud width wise and about 2 inch tall
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 1:39 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

It gouged about 80% of the stud width wise and about 2 inch tall
It sounds like the hole/notch is big enough that I would want to put two new supporting 2×4's, as long as you can get into the hole*, but at least 4"-6" above and below the hole, then either lag screw them each into the stud above and below the hole, one piece of timber on each side of the 2×4, OR run bolts through all three pieces of timber and tighten them up well (either way you're making a three layer 2x4 sandwich). The latter would be ideal, but it might be difficult, if not impossible, to drill holes through the existing stud exactly parallel to the wall, at least not without making a much bigger hole in the wall.

* You might need to put them into the wall sideways, then turn them, in which case you might need to plane the corners off and/or cut or shave off one side (so instead of being 2x3½'s they're more like 2×3¼'s).

Alternatively you could widen the notch by 2"-3" above and below the notch, and say about 1" deep, so the notch is now T shaped (with the leg of the T being the deepest part of the old notch, and the top of the T being about 7"-8" vertically) then set in, glue and screw a piece of a 2×4 (completely filling the top of the T with timber), so effectively turning the notch into a mere hole through the stud.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 23rd 2017 at 3:08 am.
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 2:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Oh dear, sounds like some work. Thanks guys.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.