Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Home and garden projects

Home and garden projects

Old Jan 15th 2017, 11:57 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Home and garden projects

Originally Posted by ddsrph
Rich
I would look into mini split heat pump units. They use no duct work, but a outside compressor feeding one to four small air handler units that hang on wall near ceiling. They are very efficient units plus you have the advantage of no duct work in a hot attic. The Japanese units are probably the best. As I understand it the refrigerant lines have screw type fittings for easy installation. There is much info available on Internet about sizing and installation.
They are relatively noisy, we had one in an apartment in New York. They are also "weird" and I believe would put off many buyers when the time comes to sell the house.

I did also briefly look at installing one, but in fact they are relatively expensive and the larger ones, for several rooms, you wouldn't actually save much money over installing a small conventional HVAC system.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 15th 2017 at 11:59 am.
Old Jan 15th 2017, 12:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the help. The spikes look like what I want but I couldn't find them anywhere, including amazon.
Old Jan 15th 2017, 12:29 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Thanks for the help. The spikes look like what I want but I couldn't find them anywhere, including amazon.
Google <spikes insulation> - there appear to be two main suppliers of 2.5" spikes.
Old Jan 15th 2017, 1:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Google <spikes insulation> - there appear to be two main suppliers of 2.5" spikes.
I have to find them locally, no way I want to go up in the attic again in the heat we get here!

I like the idea of the adhesive spray too.
Old Jan 15th 2017, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
I have to find them locally, no way I want to go up in the attic again in the heat we get here! ....

What does where they come from have to do with going in the attic? You were already looking on Amazon, why would another supplier be different?
Old Jan 15th 2017, 4:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

What does where they come from have to do with going in the attic? You were already looking on Amazon, why would another supplier be different?
Amazon Prime Now.... 2 hour delivery. If I can find them at Home Depot, or Ace, I'd go get them and install today. But I'll just get the spray from HD.
Old Jan 19th 2017, 7:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

So of course, when I get into the attic I notice something else is wrong.

Someone ran the 3-inch exhaust duct from the bathroom fan into a 6x6 inch roof vent and just screwed the duct to the inside of the opening to keep it there. I guess sealing it properly was too much work.

Also a tip - don't use one of the cheap paper masks for laying insulation in a humid attic. You will sweat so much the paper mask will lose it's form and collapse into your mouth when you breath.
Old Feb 5th 2017, 6:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Just did the gutters on the house. One needed a complete overhaul, the rest were missing.

Down here contractors charge a small fortune for gutters but the parts are cheap.
Old Mar 12th 2017, 3:10 am

I felled three trees today - an 80ft dead pine, a 60ft tulip poplar by the driveway that had been badly damaged when a delivery truck backed into it, and a smaller hornbeam that suffered the same fate. I also shoveled a yard of granite from my truck, to fill ruts and potholes in the driveway. .... Then I loaded the felled logs into my truck to take them to where I will stack them pending burning them. ..... You know you have "land", rather than a yard, when you use a road-going vehicle rather than a wheel barrow to move things from one place to another on your property.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 12th 2017 at 3:14 am.
Old Mar 12th 2017, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

davenay67 will become famous soon enough

I felled three trees today - an 80ft dead pine, a 60ft tulip poplar by the driveway that had been badly damaged when a delivery truck backed into....
.... You know you have "land", rather than a yard, when you use a road-going vehicle rather than a wheel barrow to move things from one place to another on your property.
And the fact that you can feel an 80ft tree on your own lot without hiring a tree service is also a big clue. I can only cut down trees that will not hit either my house or the neighbors house.....the last thing I need is a tree with a mind of its own to make an appearance through the neighbors roof.
Old Mar 12th 2017, 4:50 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Thursday we had a large palm taken down on our front yard. It was of a pair and they had been planted too close together years earlier and one needed to be removed. We hired a tree service company. Quick and easy and love how they removed it, loaded it onto the truck and then returned to grind up the stump.
Old Mar 12th 2017, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by davenay67
.... I can only cut down trees that will not hit either my house or the neighbors house.....the last thing I need is a tree with a mind of its own to make an appearance through the neighbors roof. .....
Totally agreed. I have a dead pine on the edge of my lot that is lop-sided (most branches on one side) and close enough to a neighbour's home to hit it. I will be contracting a tree service to come and fell that one for me.
Old Mar 14th 2017, 6:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

I've started a straw bale raised garden, for the first time, 72 hours after planting and it's looking great. Pic to follow at some stage.
Old Mar 14th 2017, 4:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

newadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond repute

We had a dead/dying laurel oak taken down recently. Our back deck was built around it so it was a shame it had to come down but one branch had already fallen off, making a bit of a mess. I asked the contractors to slice it into 18" sections, so i now have 30 x 2.5 foot diameter trunk sections to split with my trusty axe. My wife is concerned that the back yard is turning into a lumber yard
Old Mar 14th 2017, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by newadventure
We had a dead/dying laurel oak taken down recently. Our back deck was built around it so it was a shame it had to come down but one branch had already fallen off, making a bit of a mess. I asked the contractors to slice it into 18" sections, so i now have 30 x 2.5 foot diameter trunk sections to split with my trusty axe. My wife is concerned that the back yard is turning into a lumber yard
That sounds like Boiler's "thing", accumulating firewood.

Whenever possible I have felled trees sawn into boards at one of the nearby sawmills. I have a fair stack of pine boards and 2"×'s, as well as hickory, red cedar, tulip poplar, and mulberry boards. I just need to set up a woodwork shop now! Most of the pine I hope one day to use for a hen house.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.