Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Hiring process duration?

Hiring process duration?

Old Jan 18th 2017, 5:42 pm
Forum Regular

H Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hiring process duration?

Most annoying thing that happened since moving here was I applied for a job I was perfect for. Had a phone interview and all went well.

Called for in person interview - which consisted of 4 back to back 45 min interviews - so I was in there for 3 hours.

Told at the end I would here back in a week. I am thinking I nailed the interviews but then nothing at all. I chased by emailing and calling HR after a few weeks and no response or answer. Found hiring managers details and the same with them. Would never answer calls or emails.

Then after about 4 months I got an email saying my application had been unsuccessful.

Can only assume they had a few specific issues and they saw me as a free consultant for a few hours.
Old Jan 20th 2017, 1:47 pm
Forum Regular

glowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond repute

H Bomb, yes, I know that problem as well.

So, the company's recruiter got back to me:
She talked to the hiring manager and he is very interested in me, but has a couple of scheduled interviews left and thus wants to wait how they pan out. She made a point in emphasizing that he is very interested in having me on his team, but obviously that doesn't mean much right now, depending on how the other interviews go.
She said to give them 1 1/2 weeks and she will get in contact and let me know what's happening.

So the waiting game continues, but at least with a little more info!
Old Jan 20th 2017, 1:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond reputeAlphaTangoMike has a reputation beyond repute

We typically aim for a 4 week turnaround. I.e. initial contact to person in seat within 4 weeks. I think that it also depends on location and industry. The software/tech market is hot in NYC and SF, candidates tend to have multiple offers and it helps if you can move quickly as an employer.
Old Jan 20th 2017, 2:13 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glowie
H Bomb, yes, I know that problem as well.

So, the company's recruiter got back to me:
She talked to the hiring manager and he is very interested in me, but has a couple of scheduled interviews left and thus wants to wait how they pan out. She made a point in emphasizing that he is very interested in having me on his team, but obviously that doesn't mean much right now, depending on how the other interviews go.
She said to give them 1 1/2 weeks and she will get in contact and let me know what's happening.

So the waiting game continues, but at least with a little more info!
Hope you've dropped the hiring manager a nice handwritten note thanking him for considering you for the position and saying what a pleasure it would be to work for the company! Even in the electronic age, little things like that help you to stand out.
Old Jan 20th 2017, 2:20 pm
Forum Regular

glowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Hope you've dropped the hiring manager a nice handwritten note thanking him for considering you for the position and saying what a pleasure it would be to work for the company! Even in the electronic age, little things like that help you to stand out.
Actually, I didn't. I only got the above message yesterday, so it's not too late for anything.

I understand that it helps me to stick out, but in a good way? In my opinion, if I was a hiring manager, I would feel partial to a candidate doing that. It's nice, but a little over the top and (in my mind) desperate. No?
Old Jan 20th 2017, 2:22 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glowie
Actually, I didn't. I only got the above message yesterday, so it's not too late for anything.

I understand that it helps me to stick out, but in a good way? In my opinion, if I was a hiring manager, I would feel partial to a candidate doing that. It's nice, but a little over the top and (in my mind) desperate. No?
I see it as detail oriented and courteous. Others may differ!
Old Jan 20th 2017, 4:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

We had a couple of people do that for one position that was open and the team thought the letters weird and the people seemed too desperate.
We would probably spend good 4 to 5 hours interviewing someone and they would be interviewed by several members of the team then we would each write up a summary and meet to decide who to hire. I found this method worked better than just having a manager hire the person.
Old Jan 20th 2017, 4:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

I see it as detail oriented and courteous. Others may differ!
To be honest, for me, receiving physical mail at work is just a nuisance and it happens so rarely that I might not notice it for weeks unless it was something that the mailroom had decided was sufficiently important that they had sent me a notification (by email of course) that there was something waiting for me.
Old Jan 20th 2017, 4:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
To be honest, for me, receiving physical mail at work is just a nuisance and it happens so rarely that I might not notice it for weeks unless it was something that the mailroom had decided was sufficiently important that they had sent me a notification (by email of course) that there was something waiting for me.
I think that's true in many offices these days. Also most people have a lot of correspondence to go through in daily life, especially emails.
Old Jan 20th 2017, 8:53 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Anytime I have tried to followup after an interview, the manager/HR person sounded more annoyed then anything, and it's never landed a job doing it.

Every job I have gotten, I never followed up, every job I followed up on I didn't get, so I stopped following up as it appears to annoy more then assist.

But I am not applying for or working in high paying professional jobs like most on here seem to do.
Old Jan 21st 2017, 9:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Wife recently got offered an RN job just a couple of days after the interview, and could have started at the next orientation which was twice a month. At the time she applied to a few other hospitals. Some had closing dates where all successful applicants would have to wait until that date to know; one offered a month after an interview but had no closing date.

Length of a piece of string.

References can delay things but this time and last, they said they would get them even after offering the job, and presumably cancel the offer if they were really bad or just fake. But I suspect they have a good idea based on current/previous employment.
Old Jan 25th 2017, 11:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Went for in person interview yesterday, heard back today. So one day.
Old Jan 25th 2017, 11:52 pm
Sasstronaut

livinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on the company/industry as others have said....

The interviews I've had so far tend to happen about a month after initial application, then things move fast or go radio silent.

One company, that i'll leave nameless I applied to in March of last year.... and forgot about. I got a request for a phone interview a few days ago. WTF?!
Old Jan 26th 2017, 7:35 am
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute

I will email a company even if you don't get the role (especially management roles), thank them for their time, enjoyed meeting them, if any other roles come available please consider me etc.
I am currently in talks with a company who I interviewed with, met the CEO at lunch etc etc over a year ago about a new role they are creating. Do I think my email helped? I like to think so.
Old Jan 29th 2017, 3:24 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
I agree. Anyone sending physical mail would stand out .... as slightly weird.
Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Anytime I have tried to followup after an interview, the manager/HR person sounded more annoyed then anything, and it's never landed a job doing it.

Every job I have gotten, I never followed up, every job I followed up on I didn't get, so I stopped following up as it appears to annoy more then assist. .....
I agree/ am not surprised to hear that is your experience .....

I sometimes get email from people following up on positions they have interviewed for, but (i ) I usually ignore them, and (ii) it is invariably the weaker candidates who contact me. I once received a phone call from a(n internal) candidate following up. That was awkard!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.