Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

High Fructose Corn Nightmare...

High Fructose Corn Nightmare...

Old Jul 31st 2008, 10:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Emma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond repute
Default High Fructose Corn Nightmare...

We finally rid ourselves of that nasty beast today, we went shopping and only bought products without high fructose corn syrup in it. We were amazed at the products that have it in, and equally amazed at the variety of wonderful foods at reasonable prices that we could buy without it in.
I actually feel a bit better already!
Also, at our new Food Lion, we have Pataks!!! REAL Pataks from the UK, and Cadbury's Fingers! I was gobsmacked!
Old Jul 31st 2008, 11:49 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: High Fructose Corn Nightmare...

Originally Posted by Emma M
We finally rid ourselves of that nasty beast today, we went shopping and only bought products without high fructose corn syrup in it. We were amazed at the products that have it in, and equally amazed at the variety of wonderful foods at reasonable prices that we could buy without it in.
I actually feel a bit better already!
Also, at our new Food Lion, we have Pataks!!! REAL Pataks from the UK, and Cadbury's Fingers! I was gobsmacked!
Bit late finding the cadburys now lol your off soon aren't you!
Old Aug 1st 2008, 12:24 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Emma M
we went shopping and only bought products without high fructose corn syrup in it.
What was the nightmare part? Sounds like something you are happy about?
Old Aug 1st 2008, 2:16 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Since arriving in the US I've met three people under the age of 40 with GOUT and five or six people the same age with kidney or gall stones.

I thought gout disappeared in the 19th century, FFS!

As it turns out, High Fructose Corn Syrup is responsible for a worldwide epidemic of both gout and stones... and all because the US decided that corn production needed a boost with massive farming subsidies decades ago.

Not to mention the fact that it's made this a nation of fat arses!
Old Aug 1st 2008, 2:54 am
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1112115/

Personally I think it's too easy to blame just corn and corn syrup. Fast food, TV, the automobile/oil industry, video games and the general sedentary American lifestyle with minimum walking or manual labor should share the spotlight.
Old Aug 1st 2008, 3:16 am
Forum Regular

madeofkent has much to be proud ofmadeofkent has much to be proud ofmadeofkent has much to be proud ofmadeofkent has much to be proud ofmadeofkent has much to be proud ofmadeofkent has much to be proud ofmadeofkent has much to be proud ofmadeofkent has much to be proud ofmadeofkent has much to be proud ofmadeofkent has much to be proud ofmadeofkent has much to be proud of

I'v only been here 6 weeks and I always try and buy only products without the syrup, I will forgive it in thing that are meant to be sweet, but not otherwise and it is paying dividends, the Expat I know who have been here a while have given up on bread and I have a little bit, but in this neck of the woods you can buy portugese hotdog and burger rolls, french bread and chibata, not a bad selection, but I just want to e-mail hovis and worbitons and say guys there is a hugh market here, even Americans I have met moan about the bread and they have been brought up on the stuff.
Its like food is cheap here unless you want unprocessed, unmucked about food, I always cook from basics cos in the UK I found convienice food too sweet and/or salty...I blame my hippy mum...whoops nearly wrote mom... god knows how Diabetics cope?
Mistakes I've made...plenty...Smoothie that should just contain fruit? No HFCS YUK!! High fibre bran flakes and raisins AHHHHHHH from the health food isle raisins covered in a sugar and HFCS mulch!
Old Aug 1st 2008, 9:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Emma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Bit late finding the cadburys now lol your off soon aren't you!
Yeah, typical innit!!
Old Aug 1st 2008, 9:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by meauxna
What was the nightmare part? Sounds like something you are happy about?
I am, but high fructose corn syrup IS a nightmare.
Old Aug 1st 2008, 9:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by madeofkent
I'v only been here 6 weeks and I always try and buy only products without the syrup, I will forgive it in thing that are meant to be sweet, but not otherwise and it is paying dividends, the Expat I know who have been here a while have given up on bread and I have a little bit, but in this neck of the woods you can buy portugese hotdog and burger rolls, french bread and chibata, not a bad selection, but I just want to e-mail hovis and worbitons and say guys there is a hugh market here, even Americans I have met moan about the bread and they have been brought up on the stuff.
Its like food is cheap here unless you want unprocessed, unmucked about food, I always cook from basics cos in the UK I found convienice food too sweet and/or salty...I blame my hippy mum...whoops nearly wrote mom... god knows how Diabetics cope?
Mistakes I've made...plenty...Smoothie that should just contain fruit? No HFCS YUK!! High fibre bran flakes and raisins AHHHHHHH from the health food isle raisins covered in a sugar and HFCS mulch!

It is in most foods. You have to watch very carefully what you buy. I've been here 10 months and I'm sick to death with that overly sweet flavour in everything. It is making me feel ill and made me gain weight. The only other option is to buy "sugar free" products, and that's overly sweetened with Splenda or equivalent, which is gross too.
Old Aug 1st 2008, 12:23 pm

Neathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Since arriving in the US I've met three people under the age of 40 with GOUT and five or six people the same age with kidney or gall stones.

I thought gout disappeared in the 19th century, FFS!

As it turns out, High Fructose Corn Syrup is responsible for a worldwide epidemic of both gout and stones... and all because the US decided that corn production needed a boost with massive farming subsidies decades ago.

Not to mention the fact that it's made this a nation of fat arses!
Sadly, my sister-in-law's son, who's only 11 or 12, has to go in for a kidney stone op in the next week or so. He's seriously overweight, fueled by overeating (especially raiding the fridge at night) and lack of exercise.
Old Aug 1st 2008, 2:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

dinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to behold

The other day I picked up some Newman's Own Lemonade as it was on sale and I assumed it would be untainted with HFCS...well, guess what ? Newman's "we're really conscientious and make only really healthy natural food" Own Lemonade has HFCS as the second ingredient... Pissed me off.
Old Aug 1st 2008, 3:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dinosaur
The other day I picked up some Newman's Own Lemonade as it was on sale and I assumed it would be untainted with HFCS...well, guess what ? Newman's "we're really conscientious and make only really healthy natural food" Own Lemonade has HFCS as the second ingredient... Pissed me off.
Try Jones Pure Cane Sugar Soda. It's gorgeous.
Old Aug 1st 2008, 3:06 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

I read an article in a magazine a few months ago. HFCS raises Blood Pressure, ages the liver, and several other health nasties too.

On the weight side of things it disables appetite regulating hormones and increases fat storage.

They use it as its cheaper sweeter and more versatile than sugar as an ingedient.
Old Aug 1st 2008, 3:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by MsElui
I read an article in a magazine a few months ago. HFCS raises Blood Pressure, ages the liver, and several other health nasties too.

On the weight side of things it disables appetite regulating hormones and increases fat storage.

They use it as its cheaper sweeter and more versatile than sugar as an ingedient.
I have a theory that it slows down the metabolism and makes your whole system sluggish, then you put on weight because your body just converts it to fat. Your body can't digest it properly. Since being here I have put on weight thanks to that shite.
Old Aug 1st 2008, 3:23 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

This whole thread is full of misinformation and scare tactics. HFCS is all natural and good for you.

http://www.hfcsfacts.com/?gclid=COOm...FQopIgodMTN6rg

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.