Wikiposts

Hi everyone

Old Dec 14th 2007, 12:58 am
Forum Regular

YorkshirePudding is a name known to allYorkshirePudding is a name known to allYorkshirePudding is a name known to allYorkshirePudding is a name known to allYorkshirePudding is a name known to allYorkshirePudding is a name known to allYorkshirePudding is a name known to allYorkshirePudding is a name known to allYorkshirePudding is a name known to allYorkshirePudding is a name known to allYorkshirePudding is a name known to all
Default Re: Hi everyone

Originally Posted by Tracym
Sounds lovely to me (pretty far up north!). although I think I'd like an even smaller town, if near a bigger one.

Now I'm near the city, but never go there - different strokes isn't it?
Exactly. I shouldn't really complain. I used to live in Minneapolis, and compared to there, we have it good here--better house for the money, no ridiculous traffic jams and commutes, friendlier people (Wisconsinites are the possibly the nicest set of people i've ever met). Plus we're within driving distance of Door County (where I want to retire to), Milwaukee and Chicago. Bets of both worlds really...
Old Dec 14th 2007, 5:13 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Craig73
Thanks for the replies guys.

The Con is in The Westin Park Central Hotel, in Dallas. I'm staying in the Hotel for about 5 days (I'm meeting up with some online friends from Texas who are also going to the Con)

After the Con I am traveling by Amtrak, stopping off at different states. Some of the places I would like to visit are Tennessee, Chicago, PA, Washington DC & NY.

While I'm there I want to see some of the sites/tourist attractions, find out wheres the best places to eat/drink that are reasonable in price & also find out what places not to go to, that maybe arent to safe.

I'm sorting out accomadation before I head over there, just staying in Hostles... as staying in a motel/hotel every night for 3 months is to expensive (although I will stay in a motel the odd night here & there)
You're gonna have to be more specific about where in TN and PA you'll be. PA is a very big state.
Old Dec 14th 2007, 6:33 am
Forum Regular

Craig73 is just really niceCraig73 is just really niceCraig73 is just really niceCraig73 is just really niceCraig73 is just really niceCraig73 is just really niceCraig73 is just really niceCraig73 is just really nice

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
You're gonna have to be more specific about where in TN and PA you'll be. PA is a very big state.
Sorry about that,

I'm stopping off in Memphis, TN... as I want to go see Graceland. Then Philadelphia, PA... & from there its straight onto NY.
Old Dec 19th 2007, 3:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry about that,

I'm stopping off in Memphis, TN... as I want to go see Graceland. Then Philadelphia, PA... & from there its straight onto NY.
When you're in Memphis check out the Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. museum - it's definitely worth seeing - may be smart to take public transport or a cab there though, as the surrounding area is a bit shady.
Old Dec 19th 2007, 3:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies guys.

The Con is in The Westin Park Central Hotel, in Dallas. I'm staying in the Hotel for about 5 days (I'm meeting up with some online friends from Texas who are also going to the Con)

After the Con I am traveling by Amtrak, stopping off at different states. Some of the places I would like to visit are Tennessee, Chicago, PA, Washington DC & NY.

While I'm there I want to see some of the sites/tourist attractions, find out wheres the best places to eat/drink that are reasonable in price & also find out what places not to go to, that maybe arent to safe.

I'm sorting out accomadation before I head over there, just staying in Hostles... as staying in a motel/hotel every night for 3 months is to expensive (although I will stay in a motel the odd night here & there)

You may want to consider another form of transport, as AmTrak does not serve TN. It's not as extensive as the Rail System, back in the UK. As an example, the train from Dallas to Chicago takes 22 hours and costs $168! The trains frequently run late, and, you can miss your connections.

Stay away from Hostels, too. These are inhabited by drifters/homeless bums who will rob you blind......and worse. Motel 6 and Super 8 are budget class hotels that will be adequate for your needs.

Greyhound buses are also frequented by drifters and other low-lifes, too. Getting around by ground-level public transportation is a real pain in the arse! A rental car would be your best option.......if you want to see the "Real" USA.

Jim.

Last edited by Scouse Express; Dec 19th 2007 at 3:42 pm.
Old Dec 19th 2007, 6:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

mayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of light

Hostelworld is a good starting point but research your individual place aswell.
If you've done any sort of back packing in Aus/NZ/GB you'll find it much more rudimentary in the US but still a good option for cheap sleep.
I'm not sure about private rooms though some might have them.
Other thing for the big tourist cities eg. Washington DC it pays to book ahead if you have a reasonably set schedule. These ones are packed a lot of the time.

Good Luck.
Old Dec 19th 2007, 11:25 pm
Forum Regular

Craig73 is just really niceCraig73 is just really niceCraig73 is just really niceCraig73 is just really niceCraig73 is just really niceCraig73 is just really niceCraig73 is just really niceCraig73 is just really nice

""When you're in Memphis check out the Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. museum - it's definitely worth seeing - may be smart to take public transport or a cab there though, as the surrounding area is a bit shady""

Oh thanks, I'll be sure to check it out.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

""You may want to consider another form of transport, as AmTrak does not serve TN. It's not as extensive as the Rail System, back in the UK. As an example, the train from Dallas to Chicago takes 22 hours and costs $168! The trains frequently run late, and, you can miss your connections.

Stay away from Hostels, too. These are inhabited by drifters/homeless bums who will rob you blind......and worse. Motel 6 and Super 8 are budget class hotels that will be adequate for your needs.

Greyhound buses are also frequented by drifters and other low-lifes, too. Getting around by ground-level public transportation is a real pain in the arse! A rental car would be your best option.......if you want to see the "Real" USA""

Yeah I just noticed that Amtrack doesnt serve in TN, and someone else told me to stay away from Greyhound buses as well... so I'm looking into another form of transport.

Although I dont fancy renting a car, not to sure about driving on the right handside of the road, plus I'll probably get lost lol.

The thing about staying in the hostels was to hopefully meet other people who are also traveling as well, but I've been hearing good things & bad things about them... but I will look into Motel 6 & Super 8.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

""Hostelworld is a good starting point but research your individual place aswell.
If you've done any sort of back packing in Aus/NZ/GB you'll find it much more rudimentary in the US but still a good option for cheap sleep.

Other thing for the big tourist cities eg. Washington DC it pays to book ahead if you have a reasonably set schedule. These ones are packed a lot of the time""

Yeah I've also done some research into the individual places as well, I.E. TN doesnt have many hostels, plus Amtrack doesnt serve there... so I'll need to sort something else out for my stay there.

Both Washington & Chicago said to book well ahead with dates I'm staying before arriving, which is a-bit hard to do, as when traveling from place to place on different transport... I cant give a 100% exact date/time as to when I will arrive in each indivdual place.

I'll figure something out, thanks for the advice everyone.
Old Dec 19th 2007, 11:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

""When you're in Memphis check out the Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. museum - it's definitely worth seeing - may be smart to take public transport or a cab there though, as the surrounding area is a bit shady""

Oh thanks, I'll be sure to check it out.

""You may want to consider another form of transport, as AmTrak does not serve TN. It's not as extensive as the Rail System, back in the UK. As an example, the train from Dallas to Chicago takes 22 hours and costs $168! The trains frequently run late, and, you can miss your connections.

Greyhound buses are also frequented by drifters and other low-lifes, too. Getting around by ground-level public transportation is a real pain in the arse! A rental car would be your best option.......if you want to see the "Real" USA""

Yeah I just noticed that Amtrack doesnt serve in TN, and someone else told me to stay away from Greyhound buses as well... so I'm looking into another form of transport.

Although I dont fancy renting a car, not to sure about driving on the right handside of the road, plus I'll probably get lost lol.

The thing about staying in the hostels was to hopefully meet other people who are also traveling as well, but I've been hearing good things & bad things about them... but I will look into Motel 6 & Super 8.

""Hostelworld is a good starting point but research your individual place aswell.

Other thing for the big tourist cities eg. Washington DC it pays to book ahead if you have a reasonably set schedule. These ones are packed a lot of the time""

Yeah I've also done some research into the individual places as well, I.E. TN doesnt have many hostels, plus Amtrack doesnt serve there... so I'll need to sort something else out for my stay there.

Both Washington & Chicago said to book well ahead with dates I'm staying before arriving, which is a-bit hard to do, as when traveling from place to place on different transport... I cant give a 100% exact date/time as to when I will arrive in each indivdual place.

I'll figure something out, thanks for the advice everyone.
Have a great time. Say hi when you're going to be in the Chicago area - especially if you'd like a hand with anything...
Old Dec 20th 2007, 1:02 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Tracym
Have a great time. Say hi when you're going to be in the Chicago area - especially if you'd like a hand with anything...
Thanks Tracy, I'll def say hi. Looking forward to Chicago.
Old Dec 20th 2007, 3:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Hi everyone

[QUOTE=Craig73;5688472Yeah I just noticed that Amtrack doesnt serve in TN, and someone else told me to stay away from Greyhound buses as well... so I'm looking into another form of transport.

QUOTE]

Invest in a Tom Tom GO920 GPS, before you come over here.....if you decide to rent a car. It will work in both Europe and North America.

Sorry to put a damper on your plans, but, hostels are a whole lot different over here, from what they are in Europe. You will get to meet travellers, in the likes of Super 8s, Drury Inns and other hotels, however.

Jim.
Old Dec 20th 2007, 4:11 am
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=Scouse Express;5689122]
Originally Posted by Craig73;5688472Yeah I just noticed that Amtrack doesnt serve in TN, and someone else told me to stay away from Greyhound buses as well... so I'm looking into another form of transport.

Invest in a Tom Tom GO920 GPS, before you come over here.....if you decide to rent a car. It will work in both Europe and North America.

Sorry to put a damper on your plans, but, hostels are a whole lot different over here, from what they are in Europe. You will get to meet travellers, in the likes of Super 8s, Drury Inns and other hotels, however.

Jim.
Ah well thast not to bad if I'll still meet some people in these other place, makes it a-bit better for me. Thanks for the info Jim, cheers
Old Jan 26th 2008, 7:48 am
Just Joined

BritOrganizergirl has a brilliant futureBritOrganizergirl has a brilliant futureBritOrganizergirl has a brilliant futureBritOrganizergirl has a brilliant futureBritOrganizergirl has a brilliant futureBritOrganizergirl has a brilliant future

hiya ive stayed at many hostels in the US on my travels! Most from hostelworld are pretty good. Good idea to check out the comments for each before you book to make sure as some are a bit dodgy.

Im in NJ/NY, so drop me a line if you would like some info on NYC or i guess everyone here will have some good advice on places to visit in the city too.

Have a great time
Old Jan 26th 2008, 8:06 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BritOrganizergirl
hiya ive stayed at many hostels in the US on my travels! Most from hostelworld are pretty good. Good idea to check out the comments for each before you book to make sure as some are a bit dodgy.

Im in NJ/NY, so drop me a line if you would like some info on NYC or i guess everyone here will have some good advice on places to visit in the city too.

Have a great time

Hiya,

yeah Hostelworld is the site I've been checking out, been reading all the reviews on the different Hostels I plan to stay in.

I also joined a group for ex-Brits (brits.meetup.com) living in NY area or Brits there on holiday.

They have meet ups maybe 2-3 times a month & do different things, so I'm looking forward to meeting some of the rest of the members... got my first meet up on April 19th.
Old Jan 26th 2008, 9:00 am
Just Joined

BritOrganizergirl has a brilliant futureBritOrganizergirl has a brilliant futureBritOrganizergirl has a brilliant futureBritOrganizergirl has a brilliant futureBritOrganizergirl has a brilliant futureBritOrganizergirl has a brilliant future

Haha! Craig, I just realised you and i have chatted on myspace and email. I run the brit.meetup.com/4 get togethers!

Look forward to meeting you!
Old Jan 26th 2008, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BritOrganizergirl
Haha! Craig, I just realised you and i have chatted on myspace and email. I run the brit.meetup.com/4 get togethers!

Look forward to meeting you!
ah Louise, I didn't realise it was you I was talking to... talk about a coincidence.

Look forward to meeting you as well