British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Hey guys im new to this (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/hey-guys-im-new-747271/)

EnglishKimmy Feb 3rd 2012 2:16 pm

Hey guys im new to this

So..
well i move to usa like 15 months ago. im only 20 and finding out i cant drink over here was a big blow :-( being a student it is kinda hard to make friends because its a huge culture shock compared to england life. i miss english food so much and the sizes of food portions is silly!
Anyways guys love to hear from any british people and if they got any tricks on how to cope in usa! =)

sir_eccles Feb 3rd 2012 3:13 pm

Re: Hey guys im new to this

I would never advocate doing anything illegal as that is against site rules, but have you ever wondered where your underage colleagues got their fake IDs from?

EnglishKimmy Feb 3rd 2012 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by sir_eccles (Post 9882159)
I would never advocate doing anything illegal as that is against site rules, but have you ever wondered where your underage colleagues got their fake IDs from?

haha! well fake ids used to be around alot in houston apparently. But in the last couple of years ive been told police have cracked down on fake ids and i live in the city so police seem to be at every bar. Not like england haha!

sir_eccles Feb 3rd 2012 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by EnglishKimmy (Post 9882164)
haha! well fake ids used to be around alot in houston apparently. But in the last couple of years ive been told police have cracked down on fake ids and i live in the city so police seem to be at every bar. Not like england haha!

Fair enough, there does seem to be local variations. The impression I got from my brother in law was that you picked up your fake ID along with your books for the first semester.

EnglishKimmy Feb 3rd 2012 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by sir_eccles (Post 9882208)
Fair enough, there does seem to be local variations. The impression I got from my brother in law was that you picked up your fake ID along with your books for the first semester.

haha okay dokie. Nothing like that on my campus. Well i havent got long to wait like 7 months until i turn 21! haha. Im going to a different state for my party. New orleans!! =).

Jerseygirl Feb 3rd 2012 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by EnglishKimmy (Post 9882214)
haha okay dokie. Nothing like that on my campus. Well i havent got long to wait like 7 months until i turn 21! haha. Im going to a different state for my party. New orleans!! =).

Welcome to BE Kimmy.

Haha...I was just going to say that although it's a bit of a bugger...surely you haven't got long to wait until you're 21. :drinkwine:

Sally Redux Feb 3rd 2012 4:04 pm

Welcome Kimmy.

EnglishKimmy Feb 3rd 2012 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 9882234)
Welcome to BE Kimmy.

Haha...I was just going to say that although it's a bit of a bugger...surely you haven't got long to wait until you're 21. :drinkwine:

haha! well sadly i do! :(

EnglishKimmy Feb 3rd 2012 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 9882239)
Welcome Kimmy.

Thank you!!!!:D

Weeze Feb 3rd 2012 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by EnglishKimmy (Post 9882087)
So..
well i move to usa like 15 months ago. im only 20 and finding out i cant drink over here was a big blow :-( being a student it is kinda hard to make friends because its a huge culture shock compared to england life. i miss english food so much and the sizes of food portions is silly!
Anyways guys love to hear from any british people and if they got any tricks on how to cope in usa! =)

Hi Kimmy! Have you been to Feast on westheimer? Lunch would fit a student budget as its fixed price and you get English food done by English chefs. Clotted cream, black pudding, roast dinners mmmmmmm

I find it best to have a mix of expat friends and US friends. Then you mix and don't get homesick all the time only talking to expats. Have you tried meetup.com? I found a moms club on there but there are loads of different groups. There is a expat coffee morning run by a realtor which has loads of members. I never went, but I think people go to a few and then hook up with friends through it rather than keep going to it.

robin1234 Feb 3rd 2012 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by Weeze (Post 9882252)
Hi Kimmy! Have you been to Feast on westheimer? Lunch would fit a student budget as its fixed price and you get English food done by English chefs. Clotted cream, black pudding, roast dinners mmmmmmm

OMG I just looked up their website, the menu looks excellent. Pan Fried Beef Tongue with Bubble and Squeak and Mustard Greens... Yum!!

EnglishKimmy Feb 3rd 2012 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by Weeze (Post 9882252)

ohhhhhh nooooo thats really close to me! live off of post oak! ive been craving english roast dinner and mash for ever it feels like haha!

EnglishKimmy Feb 3rd 2012 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 9882259)
OMG I just looked up their website, the menu looks excellent. Pan Fried Beef Tongue with Bubble and Squeak and Mustard Greens... Yum!!

OH MY GOSH IM GOING!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Weeze Feb 3rd 2012 6:32 pm

One of the chefs was a butcher as well so they make the black pudding and cure the ham themselves. I think they also make their own clotted cream. We are out in Katy, otherwise I think we'd be there for Sunday lunch every week. I had crispy belly pork last time, with scallops st Jacque to start and sticky toffee pudding with clotted cream for pudding. I had pregnant indigestion all night, but it was totally worth it :o

EnglishKimmy Feb 3rd 2012 6:35 pm

Awesome! Looks like il have to go there deffo!!!