Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Help with shopping needed.......

Wikiposts

Help with shopping needed.......

Old Sep 4th 2012, 6:25 am
Forum Regular

hamlrt will become famous soon enoughhamlrt will become famous soon enough
Default Help with shopping needed.......

There we are , lol....
Got your attention now , can anybody help with a good catering supplies shop for proffessional chefs (like me) . I need to buy clothing and chef type stuff .
Also how do i translate my credentials ....no one will know what city and guilds london institute are .I looked online and no help .
BTW i will be moving to Raleigh NC .....NEXT WEEK !!!!!!!
cheers
john
Old Sep 4th 2012, 6:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help with shopping needed.......

A quick google search using "restaurant supplies raleigh nc" gives a bunch of answers including ureco.com and many more.
Old Sep 4th 2012, 11:07 am
Forum Regular

Hi there
thanks for replying , however anyone can do a google search and find a supplier . Much better to ask and somebody might know a really good place
with great prices ect .
not that im ungrateful for your answer
J
Old Sep 4th 2012, 11:45 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hamlrt
There we are , lol....
Got your attention now , can anybody help with a good catering supplies shop for proffessional chefs (like me) . I need to buy clothing and chef type stuff .
Also how do i translate my credentials ....no one will know what city and guilds london institute are .I looked online and no help .
BTW i will be moving to Raleigh NC .....NEXT WEEK !!!!!!!
cheers
john
Why don't you just bring your stuff with you?
Old Sep 4th 2012, 12:35 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps because if he feels that a simple google search is a waste of time and prefers someone else to tell him where to shop (as if there are a great many chefs in this group ), then folding and packing them himself is just too much work.
Old Sep 4th 2012, 3:46 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

www.chefwork.com/ For uniforms.

foodservicewarehouse.com for knives.
You should also see if there is a Restaurant Depot in your area.

As far as credentials. Did you go to and actual Culinary school or do you have a degree in hospitality and/or catering. How much experience do you have? What type of places have you worked in

It's not all about schooling either. Some people just have a natural talent in the kitchen. I don't work back of the house but I've been in the restaurant business for about 30 years now and I have seen restaurants take on people just by skill.

Have you worked as a chef or as a line cook? There are many line cooks that call themselves chefs but aren't considered to be chefs. They are line cooks. Not to put yourself down . Just trying to be realistic.
I would also scout out restaurants in the area that you are interested in and see if they would let you trail in the kitchen. Make sure that you don't apply during service hours.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 11:59 am
Forum Regular

Hello There
Yes I am bringing things with me like bmy Global Chef Knives , I have already mailed Recipe books and equipment and suchlike .
I am in fact a REAL CHEF , not a microwave dinger ! , I have 25 yrs experience from Hotels all the way up to Fine Dining .
I trained all the way back from 1982-1984 , with City And Guilds 706/1 &2
Went to London with the BBC and had further training at the Dorchester under Anton Mossiman as part of the take 12 cooks tv show , went back to college and took my City and guilds 706/3
I also have city and guilds science , math , business studies, english, food service and so on .
I was PROPERLY trained unlike the so called NVQ(not very qualified) qualifications .
No Rete a simple google search is not a waste of time , but far better to have a reccomendation from a proffessional on a good supplier and yes i do have the time to fold and pack my kit . Are you chef Rete ? or are you a Chef du plonge ......Now thats sarcasm my darling , i found your comment to be insulting .
Thankyou penguinbar for your sensible and helpful answer
j
Old Sep 9th 2012, 3:39 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

there is a catering store chain round here called GFS - they have a little 'chef style' clothing in them.

for actual cooking gadgets etc then try the catalog found at chefscatalog.com
Old Sep 10th 2012, 12:51 am
Forum Regular

Thanks to all SENSIBLE answers , i guess i will find out myself as i will be in the USA tomorrow evening
j
Old Sep 10th 2012, 1:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Perhaps because if he feels that a simple google search is a waste of time and prefers someone else to tell him where to shop (as if there are a great many chefs in this group ), then folding and packing them himself is just too much work.
Really Rete? When did you allow the tone of your posts to become so insulting?
Old Sep 10th 2012, 8:22 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

No Rete a simple google search is not a waste of time , but far better to have a reccomendation from a proffessional on a good supplier and yes i do have the time to fold and pack my kit . Are you chef Rete ? or are you a Chef du plonge ......Now thats sarcasm my darling , i found your comment to be insulting .
Thankyou penguinbar for your sensible and helpful answer
j

It was meant to be.

BTW how many chefs do you think are members of BE's USA forums? If you took the classes and have the title, then you have to know how to find your suppliers without having others do your work for you, whether you are in the UK and/or elsewhere in the world. BTW spellcheck is helpful.

Pls post back where you land a line cook job. I want to be sure that I don't eat there.

PS BG ... when the number of do nothing for themselves has risen to a new high. Next they will want to know the number of squares of toilet are needed for their particular bowel movement.
Old Sep 10th 2012, 8:44 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
It was meant to be.

BTW how many chefs do you think are members of BE's USA forums? If you took the classes and have the title, then you have to know how to find your suppliers without having others do your work for you, whether you are in the UK and/or elsewhere in the world. BTW spellcheck is helpful.

Pls post back where you land a line cook job. I want to be sure that I don't eat there.

PS BG ... when the number of do nothing for themselves has risen to a new high. Next they will want to know the number of squares of toilet are needed for their particular bowel movement.

What on earth are you on about?

Someone came to this forum looking for a personal recommendation for a resource - that is a large part of what BE is here for.

I'm finding your response rather odd, quite honestly, as well as rude.
Old Sep 10th 2012, 8:51 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks to all SENSIBLE answers , i guess i will find out myself as i will be in the USA tomorrow evening
j
Where are you landing?

Pay no attention to the stranger elements of BE - most people are very nice and helpful.
Old Sep 10th 2012, 9:36 am
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

Time for a glass of wine and just chill. Maybe somebody had a bad day.
Old Sep 10th 2012, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by joto
Time for a glass of wine and just chill. Maybe somebody had a bad day.
On two separate occasions

I'm not a fan of gratuitous lack of common courtesy.

I won't say no to the wine though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.