Help - new to this 😂

Old Jul 17th 2016, 10:18 pm
Just Joined

Nicomal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Help - new to this 😂

Scottish � ����
Old Jul 17th 2016, 10:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

As with most things here and there for that matter its about what you are prepared to put into it. I see very successful beauticians/ hair stylists who approach it as a business. I say ignore the naysayers. As a trained in the UK individual do your time license here and then capitalize on your European experience and build a great business. being in a city like Chicago it should be easy enough to do. My input is research others who have gone before you, e.g. other UK stylists/beauticians in the region your going to and try and emulate them or find a good quality salon. Here is an example not in your region but as a Brit Expat she does not seem to be doing to badly if you read the About section, clientele and business reviews, dare I say a tad more than the $10 an hour alluded to earlier:
Denise Barrow Salon - Home

Last edited by vikingsail; Jul 17th 2016 at 10:24 pm.
Old Jul 17th 2016, 10:29 pm
Just Joined

� ����� ���� thanks for the post .
Old Jul 17th 2016, 10:54 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nicomal
Well I care !!!! And I don't appreciate you slagging my profession. I mean I've not even moved and you've put a downer on it � ����� ����
Ignore the naysayers--no patron is getting out of a decent women's salon in Chicago without dropping at least $100 for a cut and I'm sure that is the clientele you are aiming for.
Old Jul 18th 2016, 4:28 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pulaski
That's not exactly true - but it is another occupation that is heavily driven by tips. I find it almost embarrassing when the woman who gives me a shampoo and cut every 6-8 weeks only wants to charge me $12.

I started out giving her $15, then after a couple of years I just gave her a $20 bill. That was fine until she increased her fee to $15, which was long over due, then I had to give her an extra three dollars, otherwise her fee increase would be a pay cut.
Wow, I pay $5, you are being robbed.
Old Jul 18th 2016, 12:09 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Wow, I pay $5, you are being robbed.
I suspect I have more material to work with.
Old Jul 18th 2016, 1:58 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Ignore the naysayers--no patron is getting out of a decent women's salon in Chicago without dropping at least $100 for a cut and I'm sure that is the clientele you are aiming for.
When I lived in New York, just outside of NYC proper, a small hole in the wall beauty salon with only two hairdressers (the owner and one operator) charged $65 per cut. A decent haircut in NYC proper at an established salon was $100 or more.

I know from others that I have used over the years, that most of the good hairdressers either rented a chair or bought one in a well established salon. They were not paid an hourly wage because they were self-employed. The money you earned was yours to keep, pay taxes on, purchase supplies, etc.

As for nails, mani/pedi, in NYC and in the suburbs, and even here in the depth south, every nail salon and massage center is staffed by Asians, i.e. Thai, Korean, who work for 1/2 of minimum wage plus tips.

If you are in close proximity to Chicago, you should have access to many well established fine salons who will welcome European trained professionals. Yes, you will need to get the proper license from the state to work but with past education, training and experience, it shouldn't be all that difficult to pass the exam.

Consider places like Sassoon, major hotels, etc. Women, and men, will want to try out the skills of an European trained operator because, quite frankly, from magazines, films, etc., the hairstyles on Europeans are so much more becoming than going to Cut and Curl for a cheap haircut.

Women in large metropolitan cities, whether they are career woman or stay at home moms, want and need to look their best and they will pay for help in doing so.

It might take a few years to build your clientele but when you do, you won't be in the category previously discussed.

Good luck to you.
Old Jul 18th 2016, 4:10 pm
Just Joined

Many thanks Rete for the hints and tips.
Old Jul 24th 2016, 10:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

jmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I thought she was British.

Joke!
Good one.
Old Jul 24th 2016, 11:07 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Good hairdressers in Dallas make 6 figures. Those who are starting out, but willing to work hard at building a clientele, can make $35,000 - $50,000 in their first year.
Old Jul 24th 2016, 11:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

There used to be a hairdresser on here who lived in or near Aspen. I remember her posting that a celeb client left her $1K tip.
Old Jul 24th 2016, 11:43 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

The OP is not a hairdresser though. She's a beauty therapist. They do manicures and facials and waxing. They don't cut hair.
Old Jul 24th 2016, 11:50 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
The OP is not a hairdresser though. She's a beauty therapist. They do manicures and facials and waxing. They don't cut hair.
Ah, okay. She can still make good money though.
Old Jul 25th 2016, 12:01 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Originally Posted by Leslie
What she needs to be qualified in is the fake dyed/tattooed / hair weaved eyebrow replacement that seems so popular nowadays. Seems like the charge for that can be hundreds of dollars

Personally I think most of them look hideous but what do I know, I'm just an old british hippy according to one of my neighbours
Old Jul 25th 2016, 12:02 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie
If she gets into a good salon/day spa setup. I have a friend here who makes great money working in a top spa and doing a bit of work from home. I used to see her in the salon but now go to her house where I can have a glass of wine and a chat while I get my nails done.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.