Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Help needed buying an outfit

Help needed buying an outfit

Old May 9th 2009, 4:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Help needed buying an outfit

I need to buy an outfit for a wedding. I'm not Mother of the bride, but Bride's father's wife (as he prefers to call me, rather than step-mum!)

Do any stores have personal shopper type people? Can anyone recommend a store for me to go to?

I've tried Dillards and Macys in the past, but could do with advice from anyone in the know.

PS. I hate clothes shopping, so if I can go in, try on and run, I'd be happy!
Old May 9th 2009, 4:29 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help needed buying an outfit

Nordstrums if you've got the readies?

Anthropologie has some nice dresses if your a thin rail.

Martin & Osa have some lovely dresses at the moment and a decent sale going...
Old May 9th 2009, 4:57 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Nordstrums if you've got the readies?

Anthropologie has some nice dresses if your a thin rail.

Martin & Osa have some lovely dresses at the moment and a decent sale going...
With all the grocery talk and now dress sales... Bob, are you channeling your inner Martha Stuart or what?! Wanna come over and bake pies today?
Old May 9th 2009, 5:01 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
With all the grocery talk and now dress sales... Bob, are you channeling your inner Martha Stuart or what?! Wanna come over and bake pies today?
I realised how much of a chutney ferret that post made me sound afterwards

But I spend a bit of time in the mall with the little one these days...oh the love of decent AC

Anyway, I was looking for a nice little outfit for the missus for mothers day tomorrow.
Old May 9th 2009, 5:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
LOL, I was wondering!

Cheers Bob.

Thin rail I'm not. No Martin & Osa in Houston. Nordstroms it will have to be!
Old May 9th 2009, 5:12 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
I realised how much of a chutney ferret that post made me sound afterwards

But I spend a bit of time in the mall with the little one these days...oh the love of decent AC

Anyway, I was looking for a nice little outfit for the missus for mothers day tomorrow.

Just karma'd you for being so sweet. Of course Rushman would rip you apart if he saw this (sorry, just back from a cruise of the Lounge).

I had to google chutney ferret....
Old May 9th 2009, 5:29 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Mandana, do you have a Stein Mart down your way? They are a good place to try as they have a wide range of outfits for different occasions, and at a fraction of the price of some of the department stores.
Old May 9th 2009, 5:33 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Oh...and a couple others, but Banana Republic has a few nice summer dresses that are a little more dressy than office wear.

Aldo Accessories is a good place to get accessories to go with the outfits like a hat or belt for not to much money...and Aldo for the shoes, some nice strappy numbers to be had.

Talking shoes, Clarkes have some nice little comfy but smart flats that are quite funky too.

Zara had some nice summer coats on sale but the dresses were more office wear than dinner wear.

I'll now go and hide in shame
Old May 9th 2009, 5:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sue
Mandana, do you have a Stein Mart down your way? They are a good place to try as they have a wide range of outfits for different occasions, and at a fraction of the price of some of the department stores.
We do apparently .. I've just googled. One not far from me either. Will they have something 'special' enough though for the occasion?

Originally Posted by Bob
Oh...and a couple others, but Banana Republic has a few nice summer dresses that are a little more dressy than office wear.

Aldo Accessories is a good place to get accessories to go with the outfits like a hat or belt for not to much money...and Aldo for the shoes, some nice strappy numbers to be had.

Talking shoes, Clarkes have some nice little comfy but smart flats that are quite funky too.

Zara had some nice summer coats on sale but the dresses were more office wear than dinner wear.

Banana Republic might be a bit young for me, and a bit small!

Thanks for the tip about Aldo & Clarks

Zara - see answer for Banana Republic!

Please don't hide in shame. I'm amazed at your knowledge! And very thankful too
Old May 9th 2009, 6:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

Bob...I think I love you
You're wife is very lucky to have you!
Old May 9th 2009, 7:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mandana
How about paying for the stuff?
Old May 9th 2009, 9:42 pm
staying around

candy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mandana
I need to buy an outfit for a wedding. I'm not Mother of the bride, but Bride's father's wife (as he prefers to call me, rather than step-mum!)

Do any stores have personal shopper type people? Can anyone recommend a store for me to go to?

I've tried Dillards and Macys in the past, but could do with advice from anyone in the know.

I hate shopping for dresses and i refuse to go in a dress store, I always by on line Nordstrom have a good on line store with dresses in catorgories i.e mother of the bride, guest at wedding, they have dresses for all taste and a lot better than going in stores..
Old May 9th 2009, 10:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Toontje
How about paying for the stuff?

Now you've given me an idea!
Old May 9th 2009, 10:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by candy wy.
I hate shopping for dresses and i refuse to go in a dress store, I always by on line Nordstrom have a good on line store with dresses in catorgories i.e mother of the bride, guest at wedding, they have dresses for all taste and a lot better than going in stores..
I'll look again at Nordstrom online. Couldn't find anything before, but I was perhaps being google-eyed and missed things.

Thinking perhaps on the line of a smart trouser suit as I have to wear flats due to foot surgery. Plus I want to feel comfortable. And different to the bride's mother, who I'm 99% sure will be in a dress / skirt
Old May 9th 2009, 10:52 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

I really dislike clothes shopping, mostly because I DO have to try most things on first to make sure they fit right, and because there are so many clothes racks to look through I just get really overwhelmed. So what helps me is to look up clothes on the stores' websites to see what colors and sizes they come in, and how much they cost. Like Candy said, the websites usually categorize their clothes really well, so it's easy to find what you're looking for.

Then I'll jot down a list of the ones I like best and go to the store and try them on. It really helps me avoid wasting time looking through rack after rack. Nine times out of ten I can find the online item in the store, and a shopping trip that would've taken 2 hours is done in 30 minutes, or less!

~ Jenney

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.