Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

help.. am in a mega pickle

help.. am in a mega pickle

Old Mar 22nd 2011, 2:41 am
enter the twiglet zone...

alien species is a name known to allalien species is a name known to allalien species is a name known to allalien species is a name known to allalien species is a name known to allalien species is a name known to allalien species is a name known to allalien species is a name known to allalien species is a name known to allalien species is a name known to allalien species is a name known to all
Unhappy help.. am in a mega pickle

I am wondering if anyone has married an american, had a child and has successfully divorced, and relocated back to the UK.?
All looks rather bleak.
My husband (US) will not entertain a trial in UK, and has invited his MOTHER to live with us.

Anyone give me some hope..??

Thanks, 10 years in us and about done.
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 3:12 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: help.. am in a mega pickle

Are you in the middle of a divorce or just thinking it will end in one cause his Mum is coming to live with you?
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 3:44 am

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

First step get the child dual nationality and a British passport.

Dread - x
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 3:58 am

alien species is a name known to allalien species is a name known to allalien species is a name known to allalien species is a name known to allalien species is a name known to allalien species is a name known to allalien species is a name known to allalien species is a name known to allalien species is a name known to allalien species is a name known to allalien species is a name known to all

Thank you for the response. My daughter is 10 weeks old and I have just got a usa passport for her to travel in june to UK. Once I am there I will apply for a british passport.
I have not started div proceedings, I am hoping I might just have baby blues, but in honesty... : ( its only a matter of time.
He is steadfast in not wanting to go to UK, and I have been so homesick for years.
I have time to plan and get organized... but am fearful its a lost cause, and being a mother now, it may be impossible for me to leave the state without his authorization.
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 4:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Oh my goodness, what an awful situation to be in for everybody. I am guessing he is enlisting his mother to help you out?

Have you spoken to a doctor about the way you are feeling?
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 4:07 am

Ironically he is a shrink!
But most of them are crazy : )
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 4:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alien species
Do you mean your husband? What does he think is going on?
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 4:15 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Get the Brit passport in the US.

You're going to need to speak to a decent family lawyer as well as potentially a immigration lawyer. Moving a kid out of the US could be very difficult if the OH wants to put a spanner in the works, so you really need to understand your options.
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 5:37 am
Forum Regular

aviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to all

Originally Posted by alien species
I completely agreel
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 1:43 pm

Get a UK passport in the US. Ok, I didn't know that. I have made an apt with an immigration lawyer.. golly it's very complicated.

How do I get her a british passport from here?

Thanks for replying guys, I feel so alone : (
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 1:59 pm
moi
Forum Regular

moi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond repute

Be careful that it is not post partum depression playing with your emotions. After my son was born, I was soooooooooo depressed and exhausted - even with a very helpful husband. Now I wonder what the hell I would do without my son and husband.
You can apply for a British passport here in the US.
If husband wants to be a part of child's life - you are not going to be able to just take off so easily.
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

Pauljarv is an unknown quantity at this point

You can get UK passports from the US, I did with my kids. I feel for you and am in a situation not disimilar in that my wife (US) and I (UK) may split although we're in the UK already.

This may help http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/help-fo...als/passports/ it took about 6 weeks to get them. Do everything through the books though, not that I think you will but don't think you can go back to the UK and stay there without the father's permission. I was advised to go to www.reunite.org which has a list of lawyers, again UK based but there is a forum and advise line.
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 2:53 pm

Moi.

Thanks for sharing and I hope it is PP blues. Last night I had stern words with his mother (ok... I lost my rag..) but, had the best night sleep in ages.
Maybe I'll postpone my lawyer apt for a month, see how I feel.
Maybe I could buy a one way to Libya for the MIL.
I think she's half the problem.. I'm married to a momma's boy, literally 4 of us in this marriage. All my fam are in blighty.

been home 36 times in 10 years. soon to be 37.. HOORAY
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 3:07 pm
moi
Forum Regular

moi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond repute

I also have a MIL from hell and we lived with his parents for 1 1/2 years when we first got married - she would do anything and everything to bring me down and husband would constantly try to stay on the fence. I had not seen my family for a long time and she made a huge stink and scene about me and hubs visiting England when we should have been saving $.
However, 11 years into the marriage and our 5 year old involved he will finally tell her where to go and I do not communicate much with her - (out of sight - out of mind). However, if husband wants to take our son to visit their house then that is husbands and sons rights, just keep me out of the pic. I can do without her negative comments towards me.
Now you have a child in the mix, he may eventually realize that you and child (his direct family unit) is a priority - but it may take time. SLEEP always helps!
Wow - all those times to UK! Do you get cheap deals?
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 5:58 pm

citizenmarie is an unknown quantity at this point

Just wanted to add: if you feel alone and overwhelmed it would be really good to talk to a therapist. There are SOME good ones. I know because I had one! (It's kinda like dating: you have to find the right one )

You can still plan to leave hubby but do so with a lot of support and advice -- and help to sort through your many emotions right now.

All the best... I understand the homesickness.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.