Wikiposts

Help!

Old Mar 3rd 2013, 9:58 am
Just Joined

jmb1984 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help!

Good evening

I currently am looking to export a unique business model in the legal industry overseas and my preferred location would be the USA. This is because of the relative proximity to home, and because of the sheer size which should enable me to make the most money.

From what I can tell with online research New York would seem the best place to base myself.

At this stage I would be grateful if those of you based in the US, and with knowledge of the US immigration system, could help me with the following:

1) When I get a law firm to sponsor me will it be possible for my long term girlfriend ('common law wife') to join me?

2) If the answer to (1) is yes will she be able to work?

3) Would you recommend anywhere else in the states as a better base for a legal business?

I am sure as the process develops there will be more queries but as I am at a preliminary stage this is all I need for now.

Many thanks
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 10:08 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help!

What exactly do you do? What qualifications do you have/need?

That'll help with the other questions.

For a start, you'll need to be married, common law means nothing, then if she'll be allowed to work or not depends on the visa.

Thing with a legal business, what exactly do you mean? Each state have their own requirements to practice law and most states would mean starting from scratch.

As for the visa, if you've got a business outside of the US that you'll keep running, you could look at a L1 to set up a US subsidiary, then you've got the E2 and E5 for investment visas.
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 10:50 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmb1984
1) When I get a law firm to sponsor me will it be possible for my long term girlfriend ('common law wife') to join me?
If you've been living together, she might be able to get a B-2 visa as a cohabitating partner, so she can stay with you for the duration of your time in the USA. She would not be able to work.

If she wants to ride on the coattails of your own visa, you need to be legally married.

Or, she could qualify for a visa based on her own merits...student, work, investment.

2) If the answer to (1) is yes will she be able to work?
Totally depends on what visa YOU get, and then what visa SHE gets.

3) Would you recommend anywhere else in the states as a better base for a legal business?
I'm pretty sure every state has/needs lawyers. I can't imagine one being a better base than the others. Probably depends what kind of legal work you do.

Rene
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 1:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

I currently am looking to export a unique business model in the legal industry overseas and my preferred location would be the USA.
1) When I get a law firm to sponsor me...
These two statements don't seem to add up. Are you saying that you would expect a law firm to sponsor you because you have some idea that only you have thought of or are you planning on setting up shop somewhere?
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 11:43 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
These two statements don't seem to add up. Are you saying that you would expect a law firm to sponsor you because you have some idea that only you have thought of or are you planning on setting up shop somewhere?
Agreed, it is unclear what the nature of your planned move to the US is? Are you looking to be hired because of your idea, or are you marketing your program on franchise basis, with you as the IP owner/ investor? .... Or something else?

There are several visas that can be applicable for employees and others that can work for self employment and "investors". Each have different and very specific rules, and some have limited availability. All require careful planning. The further you move away from a plain vanilla family visa (for parents, children, or siblings, which are typically a slam dunk, though can still be subject to wait times of a decade or more!) the harder it becomes. Visas for esoteric business plans are among the most challenging.

Until you can match your business model to one of the visa classes it is impossible to give you specific advice, but at the moment I am sceptical that you have a viable product or service that will enable you to relocate to the US.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 4th 2013 at 12:10 am.