Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Hello all, it's been a while...

Hello all, it's been a while...

Old Jul 19th 2009, 5:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

USAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hello all, it's been a while...

Been AWOL for a bit but still preparing for our return to the UK. We gave up on the idea of returning completely for a while after DS returned to us after it was a total disaster him staying with my sister and we decided to go to California instead!! We've since decided that we can't stand to move to yet another state only to risk the pull of going home coming back to haunt us so we are just going to get on with it and get ourselves back, for better or for worse.

We've found a house we really like and we made an application and we're awaiting approval which is completely daunting as I have no idea what kind of state our credit will be in after such a long time away so we'll know next week. We've done our homework as far as benefit application if it's absolutely necessary and other half is talking to one of his best mate/ex work collegue next week to see if they can offer him his old job or something similar. Got the schools lined up, selling everything on craigslist etc... but having a NIGHTMARE over the pets. I'll post seperately about that as I have specific questions.

So that's pretty much my update. Hope all those of you who know me remember me and look forward to catching up. Congrats to all of you who have had success in your return home xx
Old Jul 19th 2009, 8:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

bromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Hello all, it's been a while...

What did you make of California? What part did you go to and how long have you been there?
Old Jul 19th 2009, 10:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Southern Ontario(house is SOLD on our way back to UK/aug 09)
dewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud of

glad to see you are back!!!!!

So do you have a set date in mind? I'll PM you..anyway.

WE are on our way back in 6 weeks...stomach in knots...trying to make a long list short...OH got his settlement VISA in 6days...plus we sold the house, just gave our cat to a friend of a friend...IT was hard but we can't bring her too,...very busy time here as well.

I hope we can meet up one day across the pond...when things settle down for us...

good luck with your plans..matey!
Old Jul 21st 2009, 4:46 am
BE Enthusiast

USAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bromleygirl
What did you make of California? What part did you go to and how long have you been there?
Hiya BG... I just re-read my post and realised I had given theimpression that we had moved to CA but in actual fact we only considered moving there and decided we could not stand to move state again (already move FL to TX this past April!) so now just heading back to Blighty. Maybe for good or maybe just for a bit,who knows..... so unfortunately can't give any personal experience on California but if we ever do come back then that is where we would head. Was looking at the Thousand Oak or Simi Valley area. I think if the economy wasn't so shaky we would have gone there but it just felt to risky for us right now. Where are you heading to?
Old Jul 21st 2009, 12:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

bromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to behold

Ah ha that makes sense...heading to California eventually..wanted to go this summer but had some issues come up plus with the recession it also felt too risky to move right now so have decided to hold off for the time being.

Where in blighty are you moving back to? At least there is more of a saftey net here if you need it..and the NHS which for all its troubles is there when you need it.
Old Jul 21st 2009, 2:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bromleygirl
Ah ha that makes sense...heading to California eventually..wanted to go this summer but had some issues come up plus with the recession it also felt too risky to move right now so have decided to hold off for the time being.

Where in blighty are you moving back to? At least there is more of a saftey net here if you need it..and the NHS which for all its troubles is there when you need it.
You're right about that safety net. I will truly appreciate it being there and feel safer to weather this stormy recession in the UK. We were just like you in our concerns with the state of the CA economy. Maybe one day but the time is not right for us right now. We are heading to Sussex... and I guess you are in Bromley?? but maybe not?
Old Jul 21st 2009, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

JulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by USAGypsies
Hiya BG... I just re-read my post and realised I had given theimpression that we had moved to CA but in actual fact we only considered moving there and decided we could not stand to move state again (already move FL to TX this past April!) so now just heading back to Blighty. Maybe for good or maybe just for a bit,who knows..... so unfortunately can't give any personal experience on California but if we ever do come back then that is where we would head. Was looking at the Thousand Oak or Simi Valley area. I think if the economy wasn't so shaky we would have gone there but it just felt to risky for us right now. Where are you heading to?
We also moved from Miami, FL to Austin, TX... how did you find the transition? Know what you mean about not wanting to move state again, it does take a lot of energy out of you...
Old Jul 27th 2009, 2:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JulieinAustin
We also moved from Miami, FL to Austin, TX... how did you find the transition? Know what you mean about not wanting to move state again, it does take a lot of energy out of you...
Sorry i only just saw your reply We have lived in TX previously so knew how it would be, although when we lived here before the economy was in much better shape so it 'feel's' different. How are you finding it? Austin is supposed to be very nice and I'm told, not at all like typical Texas.
Old Jul 27th 2009, 5:29 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Good to hear you are finally getting things sorted out. I hope the pets get back OK.
CA is defiantly not the place to move to at the moment. Things are pretty tragic on the work front. Now houses are dirt cheap compared to a couple of years back, but without a job thats no good.
I can't wait to get out of here.
Old Jul 27th 2009, 6:04 pm
Forum Regular

JulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dewdrop
glad to see you are back!!!!!

So do you have a set date in mind? I'll PM you..anyway.

WE are on our way back in 6 weeks...stomach in knots...trying to make a long list short...OH got his settlement VISA in 6days...plus we sold the house, just gave our cat to a friend of a friend...IT was hard but we can't bring her too,...very busy time here as well.

I hope we can meet up one day across the pond...when things settle down for us...

good luck with your plans..matey!
Hi dewdrop, hope you don't mind me asking.. did you already have to have an itinerary of your trip when you applied for the settlement visa? I am trying to get my head round how all this works and was even thinking that the visa application may take about six months or so; don't ask me why!! We want to move back April/May next year but confused about when to apply for the settlement visa for my husband...
Old Jul 28th 2009, 1:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Good to hear you are finally getting things sorted out. I hope the pets get back OK.
CA is defiantly not the place to move to at the moment. Things are pretty tragic on the work front. Now houses are dirt cheap compared to a couple of years back, but without a job thats no good.
I can't wait to get out of here.
Isn't it so sad? We really wanted to try CA. Are you hoping to get back to the UK anytime soon? I don't know how long you have been in CA but judging how it feels in the other states we have been in since the economy s*** the bed, everywhere feels so rocky, especially Florida but now the local people are saying that Texas is starting to experience the recession only now
Old Jul 28th 2009, 2:23 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't it so sad? We really wanted to try CA. Are you hoping to get back to the UK anytime soon? I don't know how long you have been in CA but judging how it feels in the other states we have been in since the economy s*** the bed, everywhere feels so rocky, especially Florida but now the local people are saying that Texas is starting to experience the recession only now
We've been here 16 years this time. We went back for 6 weeks in June and July. I'm not back a week yet.
We need to put a plan in place and hope home prices start to rise. My poor Mum isn't getting any younger and is now all alone rambling about in her big old house. Not many years before she'll be unable to make the long plane ride out here.
I'm aiming for June/July of 2012 for the big move, fingers crossed.
Old Jul 28th 2009, 2:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Southern Ontario(house is SOLD on our way back to UK/aug 09)
dewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JulieinAustin
Hi dewdrop, hope you don't mind me asking.. did you already have to have an itinerary of your trip when you applied for the settlement visa? I am trying to get my head round how all this works and was even thinking that the visa application may take about six months or so; don't ask me why!! We want to move back April/May next year but confused about when to apply for the settlement visa for my husband...

just now saw this post..sorry..

we applied for OH visa when our house was sold and his job was no longer so we thought lets do it!!!!...we didn't want VISA too expire b4 that time..or IF anything changed..ie) decided not to move to uk...,so once, house was sold..we applied that week as we knew then the closing date on the house...

The VISA can take up to 3mths to get they said, thats only IF something is wrong..OH's took 6days start to finish...incredible really, when a passport took 9days

do you have property to sell?
good luck with your plans
Old Jul 28th 2009, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dewdrop
just now saw this post..sorry..

we applied for OH visa when our house was sold and his job was no longer so we thought lets do it!!!!...we didn't want VISA too expire b4 that time..or IF anything changed..ie) decided not to move to uk...,so once, house was sold..we applied that week as we knew then the closing date on the house...

The VISA can take up to 3mths to get they said, thats only IF something is wrong..OH's took 6days start to finish...incredible really, when a passport took 9days

do you have property to sell?
good luck with your plans
Thanks this is a BIG help dewdrop Luckily no property to sell. We do have a dog though; so plan to start the PETs process some time in September. Hope you have a great trip home... I can't wait for our time to come...
Old Jul 28th 2009, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

Sorry i only just saw your reply We have lived in TX previously so knew how it would be, although when we lived here before the economy was in much better shape so it 'feel's' different. How are you finding it? Austin is supposed to be very nice and I'm told, not at all like typical Texas.

Sorry only just caught this one as well... We really like Austin; we couldn't get over how nice, polite and friendly everyone is here compared to the Floridians... Every now and then I miss the Florida beaches; but apart from that we definitely prefer it here..