Wikiposts

Headphones and TV

Old Aug 12th 2016, 5:20 am
Back in US & happy!

becks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Headphones and TV

Originally Posted by mrken30
My wife watches TV on the tablet or PC in another room or the yard. I don't know what options DISH has, but with comcast this is very easy.
Yeah, I looked into this last night, and I can load the DISH app on my laptop and access the recordings from my laptop.

We are going to have a play with this and review all the ideas this weekend. I'm not sure I am going to enjoy watching the programs on the laptop, some of them I think will be ok, but for motor sports I really wanted the bigger screen. But if this is the only option, I will put up with just to get catch up before I go back to UK.

Thanks for the info....
Old Aug 12th 2016, 5:26 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by becks_r
Yeah, I looked into this last night, and I can load the DISH app on my laptop and access the recordings from my laptop.

We are going to have a play with this and review all the ideas this weekend. I'm not sure I am going to enjoy watching the programs on the laptop, some of them I think will be ok, but for motor sports I really wanted the bigger screen. But if this is the only option, I will put up with just to get catch up before I go back to UK.

Thanks for the info....
Since you confirmed you have the HDMI out on your laptop, you can connect to the TV that way. Audio from the laptop, video on the big screen, should do the trick for you. As far as I know the HDMI out on computers only carries video but you can always mute the TV and use headphones in the laptop if that becomes an issue.
Old Aug 12th 2016, 5:32 am
BE Enthusiast

rbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Since you confirmed you have the HDMI out on your laptop, you can connect to the TV that way. Audio from the laptop, video on the big screen, should do the trick for you. As far as I know the HDMI out on computers only carries video but you can always mute the TV and use headphones in the laptop if that becomes an issue.
HDMI will handle both audio and video

Edit:
You might have to direct the laptop to send audio out via the hdmi port though
Old Aug 12th 2016, 5:36 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rbackhouse
HDMI will handle both audio and video

Edit:
You might have to direct the laptop to send audio out via the hdmi port though
Makes sense. I was thinking of it in terms of the output of a desktop GFX card. Not much of a laptop user, I'll admit
Old Aug 12th 2016, 5:47 am
Back in US & happy!

becks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond repute

I think I have quite a few options now, the only limiting thing will be the length of cords. I have an old pair of headphones, but the cord on that is quite short. The HDMI cord we have isn't very long either.

I had in my mind sitting on the sofa with feet up, glass of wine and watching recordings without deafening me or disturbing hubby, not perched on the edge of a seat too close to the TV.

But I believe we have a box somewhere of various cables, so we will dig them all out at the weekend and work out the easiest way to do this. At least now I have options, thanks to all of you
Old Aug 12th 2016, 5:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

You may also be able to use miracast if your laptop and TV support it. Then you can have the laptop near you and use wireless instead of HDMI. The other option maybe to use a bluetooth headset if the laptop has bluetooth.
Old Aug 12th 2016, 5:58 am
BE Enthusiast

rbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I think I have quite a few options now, the only limiting thing will be the length of cords. I have an old pair of headphones, but the cord on that is quite short. The HDMI cord we have isn't very long either.

I had in my mind sitting on the sofa with feet up, glass of wine and watching recordings without deafening me or disturbing hubby, not perched on the edge of a seat too close to the TV.

But I believe we have a box somewhere of various cables, so we will dig them all out at the weekend and work out the easiest way to do this. At least now I have options, thanks to all of you
So in this situation it might be best to leave the audio going through the laptop and use the headphones there. Then use the HDMI cable to send the video signal to the the TV. You can buy longer HDMI cables from amazon pretty cheaply.

10ft one

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-.../dp/B014I8TLS6
Old Aug 12th 2016, 8:10 am
I have a comma problem

Just don't buy this one ...

https://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-Di.../dp/B003CT08E4

It's only a metre long, too!
Old Aug 15th 2016, 6:25 am
Back in US & happy!

Hi everyone

Got this all sorted at the weekend and it all works - harrah Thanks to everyone for the input and help

So I found my wireless mouse and extra cables and cable connectors for the headphones. This means I put the laptop close to the TV with the short HDMI cable between them. I then plug the cobbled together headphones into the laptop. I can control the volume through the laptop from the sofa using the wireless mouse.

The sound gets a bit scratchy at times, probably the amount of connections. But it's all working good enough for me to watch all the MOTOGP races and get completely caught up before I travel back to the UK. That way, I can chat to my other MOTOGP buddies in the UK without having to shut them up cos I'm not up to date. Also, I will clear enough room on the DVR so there is plenty of space for us to fill it back up again while we are away in UK for September

Thanks again everyone
Old Aug 15th 2016, 6:30 am
I have a comma problem

Hi everyone

Got this all sorted at the weekend and it all works - harrah Thanks to everyone for the input and help

So I found my wireless mouse and extra cables and cable connectors for the headphones. This means I put the laptop close to the TV with the short HDMI cable between them. I then plug the cobbled together headphones into the laptop. I can control the volume through the laptop from the sofa using the wireless mouse.

The sound gets a bit scratchy at times, probably the amount of connections. But it's all working good enough for me to watch all the MOTOGP races and get completely caught up before I travel back to the UK. That way, I can chat to my other MOTOGP buddies in the UK without having to shut them up cos I'm not up to date. Also, I will clear enough room on the DVR so there is plenty of space for us to fill it back up again while we are away in UK for September

Thanks again everyone
Cool, glad you were able to get it sorted.

Just need a pair of wireless headphones and you're all set
Old Aug 15th 2016, 6:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi everyone

Thanks again everyone
Glad it worked out. If you want to make things easier while leaving the laptop closer to the TV you could get one of these mini wireless keyboard/mouse pads. Only $18

https://www.amazon.com/Rii-Wirelesss.../dp/B00P39JIU6

I have one for use with a XBMC box i have hooked up to my TV. Has worked very well.
Old Aug 15th 2016, 6:39 am
Back in US & happy!

I would love to get wireless headphones, but my next purchase will be noise cancelling headphones as I managed to lose my old ones (and my mp3 player) on my trip back from UK in April.

I was gutted, I loved those headphones, cut out all the loud passenger and children crying noise on the plane and I had all my playlists setup just right for flights - I still can't work out how I lost them, I am normally so careful to check around the seat before I leave the plane.

I am hoping this situation will be a temporary one and I won't get so behind in a season again, so won't need this set up again. But maybe I will find good noise cancelling headphones that are also wireless.