Wikiposts

Headphones and TV

Old Aug 10th 2016, 7:40 am
Back in US & happy!

becks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond repute
Default Headphones and TV

Hi everyone,

I think I have probably answered my own question, but I want to use headphones with my TV so I don't disturb my husband working in the next room. I have a Samsung TV with HDMI output but no headphone output. I have a Sony Blueray player, which is also where all the speakers are for the surround sound are plugged in and managed. I also have a DISH hopper box.

The Blueray box has no headphone output. All the audio out sockets are the ones already used for the speakers. I can't see anything on the DISH box that could be used, but not an expert on that thing.

As I said, I have probably answered my own question and the answer is I can't do it . I really don't want to unplug everything every time I want to do this. I just assumed there would be a headphone socket!!!

Any ideas??

Thanks

Becks
Old Aug 10th 2016, 8:26 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Headphones and TV

Does your TV have bluetooth, is so use bluetooth headphones. If not read this How to Add Bluetooth Headphones to Your HDTV. You can add bluetooth to the TV. It does depend if your TV has another way of connecting to the audio out signal, if it has no headphone jack.

Last edited by lansbury; Aug 10th 2016 at 8:30 am.
Old Aug 10th 2016, 8:32 am
Back in US & happy!

becks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond repute

I thought I would have to plug in a bluetooth receiver thingy (I'm not a hardware person) into the TV and couldn't find a place to plug it in, other than the HDMI socket. I have just found the TV manual, so going to check the bluetooth and also read your link. Thanks for replying
Old Aug 10th 2016, 10:06 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by becks_r
All the audio out sockets are the ones already used for the speakers.
Have you checked whether one of the speakers has a headphone socket? A lot of the smaller sets to (but you don't say what kind of speakers they are).

I have a proper amp that has a headphone socket so I just use that.
Old Aug 10th 2016, 10:43 am
Back in US & happy!

just checked - the speakers don't have a headphone socket. I know we could rig up an amp with headphone socket, and that might be a good long term solution. I just wanted something cheap and cheerful so I can catch up with my programs in a hurry without disturbing Hubby.
Old Aug 10th 2016, 11:28 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I shut off the sound and use close caption. Works for me.
Old Aug 10th 2016, 11:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

rbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by becks_r
Hi everyone,

I think I have probably answered my own question, but I want to use headphones with my TV so I don't disturb my husband working in the next room. I have a Samsung TV with HDMI output but no headphone output. I have a Sony Blueray player, which is also where all the speakers are for the surround sound are plugged in and managed. I also have a DISH hopper box.

The Blueray box has no headphone output. All the audio out sockets are the ones already used for the speakers. I can't see anything on the DISH box that could be used, but not an expert on that thing.

As I said, I have probably answered my own question and the answer is I can't do it . I really don't want to unplug everything every time I want to do this. I just assumed there would be a headphone socket!!!

Any ideas??

Thanks

Becks
Your TV most likely has an audio out section marked on the back that consists of 2 RCA sockets, one for left and right channel. You should be able to just buy a cheap RCA to 3.5mm phonejack converter like this

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old Aug 11th 2016, 1:40 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Problem with that is that there may not be any way to control the volume. The RCA jacks are often fixed volume output.
Old Aug 11th 2016, 1:45 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
Problem with that is that there may not be any way to control the volume. The RCA jacks are often fixed volume output.
I used to solve that problem back home by running the RCA outs into the 'AUX In' on my hifi. Might be a solution in that case, because the volume can then be controlled. Assuming there is a suitable device around the house. A laptop or a computer could replace the hifi.

There may also be a 3.5mm 'audio out' jack as well that could work, our TV has one of those (but I have yet to use it so can't say if it works or not).
Old Aug 11th 2016, 1:55 am
BE Enthusiast

rbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Yes that could be true. May have to add a headphone amp to control the volume then. Something like

https://www.amazon.com/FiiO-A1-Silve...MJNDQNYPEX6QG7
Old Aug 11th 2016, 2:01 am
Wolf In Sheeps Clothing

Sheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond repute

It's also unlikely to cut the sound to the other speakers when you plug the headphones in (which I assume is what is wanted).
Old Aug 11th 2016, 2:10 am
Wolf In Sheeps Clothing

Sheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond repute

How about this?

https://www.amazon.com/Generic-3-5mm.../dp/B00FHHQW4E
Old Aug 11th 2016, 2:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sheepdip
It's also unlikely to cut the sound to the other speakers when you plug the headphones in (which I assume is what is wanted).
You can probably just goto to the TV settings page and turn off tv speakers as required. Or just enable audio out.
Old Aug 11th 2016, 2:31 am
Back in US & happy!

Originally Posted by Sheepdip
That looks great - that could be the answer as I have wired headphones
Old Aug 11th 2016, 2:35 am
Back in US & happy!

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I used to solve that problem back home by running the RCA outs into the 'AUX In' on my hifi. Might be a solution in that case, because the volume can then be controlled. Assuming there is a suitable device around the house. A laptop or a computer could replace the hifi.

There may also be a 3.5mm 'audio out' jack as well that could work, our TV has one of those (but I have yet to use it so can't say if it works or not).
I was looking everywhere on the TV for audio out that isn't being used. This is a temporary problem, too many recordings to catch up on just in evenings, so I can watch them during day with headphones, then I can make a note of the bits I think my husband will want to watch and he can watch the program in less time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.