Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Have you ever had to deal with true Xenophobia (in the work place)?

Have you ever had to deal with true Xenophobia (in the work place)?

Old Jan 10th 2016, 11:10 pm
Forum Regular

Pete H has a reputation beyond reputePete H has a reputation beyond reputePete H has a reputation beyond reputePete H has a reputation beyond reputePete H has a reputation beyond reputePete H has a reputation beyond reputePete H has a reputation beyond reputePete H has a reputation beyond reputePete H has a reputation beyond reputePete H has a reputation beyond reputePete H has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have you ever had to deal with true Xenophobia (in the work place)?

This year in America a teenager looked at me while he was walking by and said " "I hate white people". Heard nothing bad about me being British.

In Australia I was told to Foff back to Pommie land.
Old Jan 12th 2016, 12:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Redwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond repute

Not Xenophobia, but when I first lived in TN in the early eighties, I was asked to go to a plant in OH to help start up a new line, and I took a supervisor with me. On the 2nd day there, my colleague told me that his equivalent at the OH plant said to him "What are you two doing here? We don't need you two hillbillies showing us what to do"
Old Jan 13th 2016, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

Dewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dc koop
I've been called a Limey by some of the older people. On one or two occasions there have been old Yanks who liked to comment on the defeat of the British by the rebels during the revolutionary war.
On a visit to the USS Constellation in Baltimore Harbor in 2006 I was amused when the tour guide shouted to a young hand behind me "Heave on that rope you limey bastard" - authentic salty dialog etc.

The only racism I've experienced in 10 years was during a work trip to Pittsburgh I didn't have a car so took the MLK Jr East Busway from Penn Station that serves the predominantly African-American neighborhoods of Wilkinsburg and East Liberty. I was only going one stop but was harassed all the way by a foul mouthed girl, to be fair she has been the exception and I've not had that problem when travelling as the only white person on a bus in Southeast DC or downtown Richmond, VA.

Last edited by Dewey; Jan 13th 2016 at 5:46 pm.
Old Jan 20th 2016, 4:19 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
Has any one had to deal with Xenophobia or bullying in the work place because they came to the US from England (or any other country)?

I am not talking about the snide war comments or July 4th comments that we all endure or the comments made in fun. I am talking about someone making out right mean comments because you are here from another country.
Usually it's the other way. It's me making the xenophobic comments about ignroant idiot Americans.
Old Jan 20th 2016, 4:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steveq
Limey wasn't a term of abuse was it ?
I didn't think so... until I had a post removed from a US Marines Facebook page when I referred to myself as a 'Limey'. Blimey
Old Jan 20th 2016, 4:58 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zzrmark
I didn't think so... until I had a post removed from a US Marines Facebook page when I referred to myself as a 'Limey'.
You're just bitter!
Old Jan 26th 2016, 2:32 am
Forum Regular

LotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond repute

When you say "true" xenophobia, I guess you mean obvious or evident.

I have not faced any such thing; but what I have faced is quite aggressive office politics which has been directed at me. To the point where I feel I would much rather get a job elsewhere.
I have been "ambushed"/"blindsided" quite a few times and it has left me feel a bit isolated.
I do wonder if xenophobia is the driver for this behavior.

Good job I have thick skin.
Old Jan 26th 2016, 4:43 am
BE Enthusiast

jeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LotusEater33
When you say "true" xenophobia, I guess you mean obvious or evident.

I have not faced any such thing; but what I have faced is quite aggressive office politics which has been directed at me. To the point where I feel I would much rather get a job elsewhere.
I have been "ambushed"/"blindsided" quite a few times and it has left me feel a bit isolated.
I do wonder if xenophobia is the driver for this behavior.

Good job I have thick skin.
No, it's not because you're English it's because office politics in America can be pretty brutal (you're in a competitive society). I solved that problem by opening my own business and I shoulda coulda woulda done it ten years earlier.
Old Jan 26th 2016, 3:15 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

I know someone here who deliberately gave the wrong directions to some English tourists just because they were English.

(He regards himself as being Irish, even though the family came here generations ago, he's never been to Ireland and doesn't appear to know much about Ireland.)
Old Jan 26th 2016, 3:24 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

When you say "true" xenophobia, I guess you mean obvious or evident. ....
I took it to mean "offensive / aggressive", as opposed to curiosity/naive questions, or relatively mild jabs. If you want to include daft questions then you'd get a whole different answer from me, and many others I'd be willing to bet.
Old Jan 26th 2016, 4:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
I know someone here who deliberately gave the wrong directions to some English tourists just because they were English.

(He regards himself as being Irish, even though the family came here generations ago, he's never been to Ireland and doesn't appear to know much about Ireland.)
This could probably squeeze this comment into WTF America/Pet Peeves, but I have been surprised by the amount of people who class themselves as 'Irish American' you look at their history and are at best 5th generation American

One of my OH's biggest rages against her country is that she is classified as 'African American'

She was born in Arizona, her mother born in Scotland, her father Jamaica, both moved to the US as babies

I quote OH 'How the eff am I effin African!!' Obviously I calmed the expletives down
Old Jan 26th 2016, 7:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Philk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond repute

A workmate does keep showing me the
clip
Old Jan 26th 2016, 8:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Philk
A workmate does keep showing me the Simpsons Big Book of British Smiles clip
Point him to this
British teeth are no worse than US smiles, say researchers | Society | The Guardian
Old Jan 26th 2016, 11:09 pm
Forum Regular

LotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond reputeLotusEater33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeepster
No, it's not because you're English it's because office politics in America can be pretty brutal (you're in a competitive society). I solved that problem by opening my own business and I shoulda coulda woulda done it ten years earlier.
I feel you're right, but I have no evidence it's because I'm english i.e. no comments alluding to that.
I know the history of this site I'm working at, and it used to have chronic problems of bullying and threatening behavior. So bad that the company CEO came to the site to fire a global Head who was based here.

You are also correct, this is a very competitive society - some people in work blatantly lie behind your back to make them look good or you bad.
2 guys recently did it with me and now I'm considering my next move when really I should be thinking about more constructive things.
Old Jan 27th 2016, 3:20 am
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

I feel you're right, but I have no evidence it's because I'm english i.e. no comments alluding to that.
I know the history of this site I'm working at, and it used to have chronic problems of bullying and threatening behavior. So bad that the company CEO came to the site to fire a global Head who was based here.

You are also correct, this is a very competitive society - some people in work blatantly lie behind your back to make them look good or you bad.
2 guys recently did it with me and now I'm considering my next move when really I should be thinking about more constructive things.
Not so much xenophobia (because I don't think it relates to my background) but I've seen the same - for the first time in my career a colleague blatantly took my work and attempted to present it as her own to senior mgmt (I skewered that when I found out).

A fair amount of backbiting goes on in the background; I stay out of that. One thing you can be sure - if a colleague is coming to you to slag someone else off behind their back - they're probably slagging you off too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.