British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Have you become your father yet?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/have-you-become-your-father-yet-928037/)

Mempete Sep 21st 2019 7:56 pm

Have you become your father yet??

Walking through the grounds of local hospital to see the wife and i found that my interactions with people made me look round for my father.
My voice inflections, speech pattern and attitudes sound just like my father and it just struck me as amusing given all the times I had referred to his 'elderly attitudes'. I suddenly realise where he 'came from'... Any one else found the same? For good or bad?

scrubbedexpat097 Sep 21st 2019 9:40 pm

Re: Have you become your father yet??

Originally Posted by Mempete (Post 12738137)
Walking through the grounds of local hospital to see the wife and i found that my interactions with people made me look round for my father.
My voice inflections, speech pattern and attitudes sound just like my father and it just struck me as amusing given all the times I had referred to his 'elderly attitudes'. I suddenly realise where he 'came from'... Any one else found the same? For good or bad?

No but I keep telling my other half he is turning into his grandfather. That's a good thing.

tom169 Sep 22nd 2019 3:51 am

Reminded me of the insurance commercial

scrubbedexpat091 Sep 22nd 2019 4:56 pm

Not really. I think my dad and myself are too opposite for me to ever become him, but when I look in the mirror sometimes, I can see myself physically looking more like my dad as I age, but my dad reminds me of my grandfather now, when I see my dad, my brain almost thinks its my grandfather there....My dad is about the age my grandfather died at and my dad looks a lot like him.

caretaker Sep 22nd 2019 5:50 pm

The moment you set aside a piece of wood because it is the perfect size for stirring paint, you have become your father.

MMcD Sep 22nd 2019 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12738339)
My dad is about the age my grandfather died at and my dad looks a lot like him.

Well...let’s hope “ looks are deceiving” , as far as his mortality is concerned.

Let’s also hope he doesn't see your post because it might creep him out :eek:

scrubbedexpat091 Sep 22nd 2019 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by MMcD (Post 12738368)
Well...let’s hope “ looks are deceiving” , as far as his mortality is concerned.

Let’s also hope he doesn't see your post because it might creep him out :eek:

My grandfather smoked heavily for 50 years, my dad never smoked and so far my dad is in better health when compared to my grandfather, heck my dad might outlive me.

MMcD Sep 22nd 2019 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12738399)
My grandfather smoked heavily for 50 years, my dad never smoked and so far my dad is in better health when compared to my grandfather, heck my dad might outlive me.

Like father, like son”

It is decreed: Methuselas both !

BEVS Sep 23rd 2019 7:56 am

Unfortunately this may well be the case ,which is not so good for my late eccentric father's daughter

scrubbedexpat142 Sep 23rd 2019 8:48 am

I don't know - just busy hoping my Wife doesn't turn into her Mother! :lol:

Russle Oct 25th 2019 4:19 pm

I've definitely started to look more like my father as I've gotten older. I also have some of his mannerisms and phrases, but I don't feel like we're all that similar outside of that. I've tried to learn from some of his mistakes so I don't make them too. :fingerscrossed:

Jerseygirl Oct 25th 2019 4:30 pm

My husband has definitely become his father...in appearance and personality. My FIL was a lovely man and so is my husband. :wub:

thinbrit Oct 25th 2019 4:48 pm

I've spent many years, and many tens of thousands of dollars in therapy over the years to ensure I am nothing like my father. Not much I can do about inheriting his bald spot, but thats were any similarities end.

lansbury Oct 25th 2019 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 12738350)
The moment you set aside a piece of wood because it is the perfect size for stirring paint, you have become your father.

It was only the other day I was thinking I don't have enough paint stirrers. Needed to stir a can to paint the porch railings.