Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Have I made a wise choice to finally give up my American Dream?

Have I made a wise choice to finally give up my American Dream?

Old Nov 23rd 2016, 7:18 am
Banned

AndrePettersson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Have I made a wise choice to finally give up my American Dream?

I fully recognise now that I don't really qualify or fit into any of the immigration visa categories to get there, and possibly having to spend anything from the next 15-30 years to work myself into such a position / job role level in order to exchange the daily skyline of London to that of Manhattan on my morning commute is simply not worth it etc.

Otherwise, the sheer time, process and effort involved (being 43 next month) will go well into my 50s or even 60s/70s, which will in effect completely cancel out the fact and / or any possible or perceived gains of having ever got there in the first place etc. Eventually arriving at JFK Airport but some 20-30 years too late as I could not get a Green Card and job there when I was younger.

I shall therefore come to terms with living in the UK, travelling there on holidays and possibly look at other destinations in the world instead where the barriers to entry are placed far lower etc.

I know people who have moved to France, Netherlands, Dubai, Switzerland etc, which may be more realistic options for myself.

Last edited by AndrePettersson; Nov 23rd 2016 at 7:30 am.
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 7:34 am
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have I made a wise choice to finally give up my American Dream?

Look into the Netherlands for quality of life: you don't even need to speak Dutch.
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 9:35 am
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

Take advantage of the EU while you can.

It's good that you have realised this now. It was a nice try but, like many others, your experience of the US is going to be restricted to holidays. But if you climb the career ladder here, stay in a job rather than keep looking for something else that probably isn't there, you can treat yourself to some very nice holidays in the future. And at least you will have a good amount of annual leave if you stay in Europe somewhere.
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 1:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's a sensible conclusion for the USA. There are still plenty of places here to vacation. You can enjoy the best of the USA with no real worries that way
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 1:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Seeing as the other threads you created would lead to a chance akin to winning the National Lottery, the answer is a resounding 'YES'!
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 4:06 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

IMHO, yes, you have made the right decision. You can continue to keep an eye on new means of emigrating as there are always changes being made. But for the foreseeable future, save your money and come to the US for long holidays. After all the VWP allows you a 90 day visit and your high amount of vacation leave will let you come here and explore.

Unless you or the wife have the eligibility to enter the diversity lottery, then come visit us as often as you can.
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 4:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Unless you or the wife have the eligibility to enter the diversity lottery, then come visit us as often as you can.
And consider getting off the mainstream tourist trails and explore the country
Old Nov 24th 2016, 1:49 pm
Banned

AndrePettersson is an unknown quantity at this point

Would you however need fluent Dutch to work in more professional level roles in The Netherlands such as an HR Business Partner, HR Consulting etc?
Old Nov 24th 2016, 3:48 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

How about Toronto? Thats a pretty nice skyline too and there are many similiarities between the US and Canada. You may well find it possible to fulfil your dream of living in North America that way.
Once you have Canadian Citizenship, under NAFTA, if you have the right occupation and work for a large N American organization the opportunities to work in the US may well then present themselves.

Canada is a great place in its own right and may well be the answer you are seeking.
Old Nov 24th 2016, 8:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
How about Toronto? Thats a pretty nice skyline too and there are many similiarities between the US and Canada. You may well find it possible to fulfil your dream of living in North America that way.
Once you have Canadian Citizenship, under NAFTA, if you have the right occupation and work for a large N American organization the opportunities to work in the US may well then present themselves.

Canada is a great place in its own right and may well be the answer you are seeking.
The OP has already asked about this http://britishexpats.com/forum/us-im...canada-887705/

HTH.
Old Nov 24th 2016, 8:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
The OP has already asked about this http://britishexpats.com/forum/us-im...canada-887705/

HTH.
In addition, given OP's age (which I hadn't realised/read) before, qualifying for Canadian PR (through EE) would be a long shot too.

OP: I think you've made the right decision.
Old Nov 24th 2016, 9:23 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

You have talked a lot about your dream -- what is your OH's dream? Is he or she ready to uproot and chase chimeras, especially as he/she may not be able to work in the US?
Old Nov 24th 2016, 9:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AndrePettersson
Would you however need fluent Dutch to work in more professional level roles in The Netherlands such as an HR Business Partner, HR Consulting etc?
That would be a good question to ask on the Netherlands forum
Netherlands - British Expats
Old Nov 25th 2016, 3:57 pm
Forum Regular

JPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond reputeJPROPS72 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AndrePettersson
I fully recognise now that I don't really qualify or fit into any of the immigration visa categories to get there, and possibly having to spend anything from the next 15-30 years to work myself into such a position / job role level in order to exchange the daily skyline of London to that of Manhattan on my morning commute is simply not worth it etc.

Otherwise, the sheer time, process and effort involved (being 43 next month) will go well into my 50s or even 60s/70s, which will in effect completely cancel out the fact and / or any possible or perceived gains of having ever got there in the first place etc. Eventually arriving at JFK Airport but some 20-30 years too late as I could not get a Green Card and job there when I was younger.

I shall therefore come to terms with living in the UK, travelling there on holidays and possibly look at other destinations in the world instead where the barriers to entry are placed far lower etc.

I know people who have moved to France, Netherlands, Dubai, Switzerland etc, which may be more realistic options for myself.
To answer the title question of your thread. Yes, it is a wise decision to give up on moving to the US. It just isn't going to happen for you. If you're considering an EU move, I'd get a wriggle on with it before that option comes off the table too.
Old Nov 25th 2016, 6:52 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

The OP has been given good advice therefore I am closing this thread.