Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Have I finally insulted an American about Accents

Have I finally insulted an American about Accents

Old Dec 7th 2011, 8:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of
Default Re: Have I finally insulted an American about Accents

I have a hard time imagining an American getting pissy about a mistake in identifying their accent. The only people I've met (with foreign accents) who got bent out of shape about such a mistake were the Irish, British, Australians and South Africans. Maybe it denotes a lack of national pride on our part? Of course, southerners and Texans get a lot of flack from the rest of the country, but nobody gets up tight because someone mistakes an Arkansan accent for one from Georgia. So, london66, if you're hoping to insult somebody, I think you're SOL.
Old Dec 7th 2011, 8:05 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

+1

Brits have to remember that to the American, who does not travel abroad all that often, the accents from Australian, Britian, South Africa sound similar. Yes, I'm sure that the more enlightened American knows about regional accents in each country but on the whole the accent does sound British.

Of course, as Brits you are more familiar with your accents and the regional dialects so the question of "are you from Australia" hits you as an insult that someone cannot immediately get where you are from.

Actually the shopkeeper hit it on the head and you were the one who was a bit arrogant in your unsaid thoughts. If you can't tell the difference in accents between a Northern and Southern then you don't know the diversity of the American accents.

BTW where was the humour in your post?

Last edited by Rete; Dec 7th 2011 at 8:07 pm.
Old Dec 7th 2011, 8:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Egg and Cress
I have a hard time imagining an American getting pissy about a mistake in identifying their accent. The only people I've met (with foreign accents) who got bent out of shape about such a mistake were the Irish, British, Australians and South Africans. Maybe it denotes a lack of national pride on our part? Of course, southerners and Texans get a lot of flack from the rest of the country, but nobody gets up tight because someone mistakes an Arkansan accent for one from Georgia. So, london66, if you're hoping to insult somebody, I think you're SOL.

Perhaps that's 'cos you are American.
Old Dec 7th 2011, 8:08 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider
Not sure you insulted her - that suggests some modicum of intellect and specific knowledge...

... will you settle for confused bemusement?

Old Dec 7th 2011, 8:11 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
+1

Brits have to remember that to the American, who does not travel abroad all that often, the accents from Australian, Britian, South Africa sound similar. Yes, I'm sure that the more enlightened American knows about regional accents in each country but on the whole the accent does sound British.

Of course, as Brits you are more familiar with your accents and the regional dialects so the question of "are you from Australia" hits you as an insult that someone cannot immediately get where you are from.

Actually the shopkeeper hit it on the head and you were the one who was a bit arrogant in your unsaid thoughts. If you can't tell the difference in accents between a Northern and Southern then you don't know the diversity of the American accents.

BTW where was the humour in your post?
I never expect an American to be able to pick up a regional accent, that's asking way too much lets be honest, but I am surprised that an awful lot of Americans cannot differentiate between Australia, British or South African accents as they are so very different.
Old Dec 7th 2011, 8:17 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sarah
I never expect an American to be able to pick up a regional accent, that's asking way too much lets be honest, but I am surprised that an awful lot of Americans cannot differentiate between Australia, British or South African accents as they are so very different.
Some people have an "There is America and there is rest of the World" attitude. All none N American English sounds the same. Imagine a Brit not knowing if someone was South African or a New Yorker.
Old Dec 7th 2011, 8:22 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Sarah

I'm assuming they are. My excuse is hearing impairment but even with that impairment, never having been to the UK, SA or Australia, and with very few foreign films under my "belt", I would have to rely on other clues as to which nationality's accent is being voiced.

Personally, I have found Brits to be very soft spoken and Austrialians to be rather loud. South African's I not know unless told since you can't rely on race to be all telling.
Old Dec 7th 2011, 8:24 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Some people have an "There is America and there is rest of the World" attitude. All none N American English sounds the same. Imagine a Brit not knowing if someone was South African or a New Yorker.
IMHO I think that attitude is one that can be applied to a very small fraction of American people.

BTW my Canadian husband now living in Mississippi was told this weekend that he has a New York accent.
Old Dec 7th 2011, 8:24 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

It's pretty easy - Australians always talk in questions, so if the person's voice doesn't go 'up' at the end of each sentence, they're English
Old Dec 7th 2011, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

My sister went backpacking with a load of Australians. She came back with the Australian accent? Where every sentence sounds like a question?
Old Dec 7th 2011, 8:40 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
It's pretty easy - Australians always talk in questions, so if the person's voice doesn't go 'up' at the end of each sentence, they're English
But how do you distinguish a Dingo from a Kiwi?
Old Dec 7th 2011, 8:44 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zargof
I can tell that the Kiwi accent is different, but I can't come up with a word to adequately describe how, unfortunately ...

I'm not often presented with the necessity to have to worry about it though.
Old Dec 7th 2011, 9:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I can tell that the Kiwi accent is different, but I can't come up with a word to adequately describe how, unfortunately ...

I'm not often presented with the necessity to have to worry about it though.
Kiwi has a much shorter vowel sound I would say.
Old Dec 7th 2011, 9:02 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by nethead
Kiwi has a much shorter vowel sound I would say.
The best thing I could think of was that it's somewhere between an Australian and a South African accent. Sort of.
Old Dec 7th 2011, 9:12 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zargof
I used to know this (having been a Youth Hostel warden for twelve years.) I think you had to get them to say "sex" or "eggs" .. or maybe it was "six" not "sex."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.