Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Have I finally insulted an American about Accents

Have I finally insulted an American about Accents

Old Dec 8th 2011, 12:58 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have I finally insulted an American about Accents

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Now, that is not surprising to me at all, my Brit will do different accents of former colonies. Chances are pretty good he's going to do it better than I will.
Yes, it's a good thing they allow FORMER colonies. If the party piece was restricted to current colonies, I'd hardly ever get invited to parties.

"Go on, do that British Antarctic Territory accent again!"
"No, no - do Anguilla first! Then Sovereign Base Areas of Akrotiri and Dhekelia!!"
Old Dec 8th 2011, 1:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bob
Mistake a southerner for a northerner on the other hand
You've got a point - forgot about that one. Now that I actually think about it, I have to admit I get a bit gnarly when I'm accused to being a southerner. I had hoped my more intelligible dialect was still distinct but apparently not. Even my OH teases me about my saying "ah" instead of "I". And you're right - the "suthruners" do get their knickers in a twist if you accuse them of being Yankees!
Old Dec 8th 2011, 1:56 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by redglade
I was born near London, moved to South Africa at the age of 8, but spent most of my adult life in Scotland (until we moved here). South Africans think I sound English, the English think I sound South African, Americans think I sound Australian and the Scots don't know what to think. If asked, I generally say I'm from "East Texas" - this has the desired result of making them change the subject ...or go away.
A dear friend of mine is from Dallas. When she practiced here in L.A., people would often comment on her "Southern accent." She would then explain that she had a "Texas twang" and not a "Southern drawl."

[When she laughs, she cackles just like Janis Joplin. When I told her that, she responded "Why, thank you!"]
Old Dec 8th 2011, 2:08 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

FWIW, the "Southern Accents" are species of English derived accents. From what I understand, it was no accident that Leslie Howard, Olivia DeHavilland and Vivian Leigh were cast in GWTH -- they had no trouble with a believable Southern accent. Clark Gable was cast simply because he looked like Clark Gable and his accent is far from convincing.
Old Dec 8th 2011, 4:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Englishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by london66
the humour (spelt with a u) was in the sarcasim another thing Americans don't seem to get - I was being sarcastic that all Americans sound the same -which they don't - but that is why I said that everybody sounds the same.

What kind of annoys me is that everyone thinks I'm Australian, why? I ve been here 10 years. There are so many Brits here - especially around Boston due to Biotech industry but every one thinks your from Australia - is it due to Crocadile Dundee - tosser if it is.

Brendan
I get that as well - been here 15 yrs. I just agree "Yeah Australia, yup thats where I'm from, Northern Australia. "
Old Dec 8th 2011, 5:28 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishman43
I get that as well - been here 15 yrs. I just agree "Yeah Australia, yup thats where I'm from, Northern Australia. "
I know so much about Perth & environs it's almost as if I'm from there.
Old Dec 9th 2011, 12:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
FWIW, the "Southern Accents" are species of English derived accents. From what I understand, it was no accident that Leslie Howard, Olivia DeHavilland and Vivian Leigh were cast in GWTH -- they had no trouble with a believable Southern accent.
Leslie Howard doesn't even try, he just talks English.
Old Dec 9th 2011, 10:04 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Yes, it's a good thing they allow FORMER colonies. If the party piece was restricted to current colonies, I'd hardly ever get invited to parties.

"Go on, do that British Antarctic Territory accent again!"
"No, no - do Anguilla first! Then Sovereign Base Areas of Akrotiri and Dhekelia!!"
Well exactly.

I heard you get invited because you do an impressive macarena
Old Dec 9th 2011, 10:08 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Egg and Cress
Pronunciation of the word "out" is the only way I, personally, can tell a Canadian from an American. Canadians pronounce it more like "oot" - other than that, except for those from Quebec having the French-Canadian accent, I find it hard to differentiate one from the other, language-wise.
yeah EXCEPT for those folks from the Piedmont in VA, they get a whole out and house thing going like the Canucks.
Old Dec 9th 2011, 12:45 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by cindyabs
I heard you get invited because you do an impressive macarena
Yes, and that's before I drink the punch.
Old Dec 9th 2011, 5:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Sarah
I never expect an American to be able to pick up a regional accent, that's asking way too much lets be honest, but I am surprised that an awful lot of Americans cannot differentiate between Australia, British or South African accents as they are so very different.
I've been accused of being from all of these places before and I don't sound anything at all like that.
Old Dec 9th 2011, 6:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

jemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to behold

[When she laughs, she cackles just like Janis Joplin. When I told her that, she responded "Why, thank you!"][/QUOTE]

I only chose my insurance agent on the basis that he sounded like Jack Nicholson on the phone and I got a kick out of it!
Old Dec 9th 2011, 9:30 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

To be pedantic, here's some subtle American accent questions:
Can you tell the difference between Kansas City, Chicago, Wisconsin and Minnesota accents?
Can you identify a Los Angeles accent (which does exist)?
Can you distiguish between a Boston and Maine accent (this is relatively easy)? How about Eastern Mass vs. Western Mass (this is tougher)?
Can you distiguish the following Southern accents: Louisiana, Tennessee, Alabama/Northern Florida, Georgia?
Can you identify a Baltimore accent?
How about a Philly accent?
How about a Delaware accent?
How about Pittsburgh (possibly the weirdest accent in the US)?
Old Dec 9th 2011, 9:51 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
To be pedantic, here's some subtle American accent questions:
Can you tell the difference between Kansas City, Chicago, Wisconsin and Minnesota accents?
Can you identify a Los Angeles accent (which does exist)?
Can you distiguish between a Boston and Maine accent (this is relatively easy)? How about Eastern Mass vs. Western Mass (this is tougher)?
Can you distiguish the following Southern accents: Louisiana, Tennessee, Alabama/Northern Florida, Georgia?
Can you identify a Baltimore accent?
How about a Philly accent?
How about a Delaware accent?
How about Pittsburgh (possibly the weirdest accent in the US)?
I could probably get a bit more than half of those right, maybe even more, just from observations and that.

The first one is pretty easy though (much as I confess I dislike the Chicago accent after living here six years ). I know a few people from MN and WI, and some of them sound almost Canadian.

The rest I could have a fair stab at, except maybe the PA ones.
Old Dec 9th 2011, 10:42 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
That's easy...anyone from southern Maine sounds normal...anyone from Caribou and further up in Maine sound like someone being raped by a bear....loud and unintelligible.

Anyone from Boston, well southie, sounds like a knob....metrowest, they start to sound normal, but some with a bit of a kick to the accent and out west, they sound properly normal again, even if what they start to say makes less sense

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.