Harvey

Old Sep 6th 2017, 12:49 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Harvey

Originally Posted by Owen778
We are finally home from Oregon, and today was my first day back at work.

In the end, United cancelled three flights for us - Saturday, when we were originally booked, Wednesday, when the airport was still closed, and Sunday, because they are still well short of full service - they were providing "the majority" of flights on Monday, over a week after the storm. They could learn a lot from HEB about both logistics and staff engagement.

We ended up rebooking with Alaskan Airways on Sunday to fly into Austin and rent a car. With hindsight, we should have done that earlier in the week. Thanks for the offer of help, PF, we wanted to get home that night.

It's good to be home, but we had two nasty surprises: First, we knew we hadn't been flooded, though it was close, but we found that a leak or something got to some of our edge boards and the drywall behind it along one side of the house. Not yet sure how bad the damage is, but we're still far better off than many. And second, when we went to collect my car from the airport yesterday, we found that rain damage had killed the battery and warped felts inside the wheel arches. Again, not yet sure if there is any other damage.

It was interesting - making me both sad and happy - listening to stories from friends at work today who'd been out helping remediate houses for friends and neighbours. Hearing about people's awful losses, but also about everyone's desire to help.
Pleased to read that you are finally back home...but sorry to hear about the water damage to your home and car.
Old Sep 6th 2017, 2:00 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I've just returned from a 14 day vacation without computers. I could read BE on my phone but was unable to post. SM was devastated to learn of your severe flooding, but thankful that the trike was saved. I'm thankful that both you and hubby were offered shelter by caring friends and have already begun work on trying to restore your home to habitation. Glad to here that Weeze and CB got through it unscattered.

My sis and her husband will head to us here in MS after putting down the hurricane shutters tomorrow in their Florida home.
Old Sep 6th 2017, 4:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Glad you made it home ! The stories of mayhem and heroics are amazing!

I was interviewed today by our local paper about our counties water testing. I hope I am not going to be misquoted. We have enough people freaking out because they are reading social media and believing the horror stories that people are falsely posting. Our health department had two lines today, one for tetanus shots and the other for well water testing.

These long work days are killers
Thank you, and good luck to you and your family and neighbours. I'm sure having to work like that when your own house has been flooded too must be really hard.

I got an inkling of what it must be like in some of the worst hit areas today. I have my car in for service now, and the dealership shuttle drove me up Jones Road near Cypresswood Drive, near where Jones crosses Cypress Creek. Every front yard had a huge pile of debris, broken up cabinets, and maybe a mattress. There was so much debris that it formed a wall all along next to the road, stretching for half a mile along Jones, and much further along Cypresswood. Just awful. And these are mostly the people who have the money to rebuild their lives. Elsewhere there are people who really do not.
Old Sep 7th 2017, 12:36 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you got home Owen.
Old Sep 11th 2017, 12:25 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

How are all you guys doing please?
Old Sep 11th 2017, 2:33 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
How are all you guys doing please?
Harvey-20170901_075052.jpg

Harvey-20170901_075114.jpg

Harvey-20170901_183530.jpg

We are living in a shell right now. Although I am not home very much as I am working 12 hour days. Tomorrow is day 13 straight days. I took off an hour on Friday to meet the insurance adjustor. Hopefully we can start remodeling soon
Old Sep 11th 2017, 3:39 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Attachment 128530

Attachment 128531

Attachment 128532

We are living in a shell right now. Although I am not home very much as I am working 12 hour days. Tomorrow is day 13 straight days. I took off an hour on Friday to meet the insurance adjustor. Hopefully we can start remodeling soon
Is that flooring salvageable? Pleased that you're getting stuff done, even if it is and will be a slow process. Has the smell gone?
Old Sep 11th 2017, 3:48 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Is that flooring salvageable? Pleased that you're getting stuff done, even if it is and will be a slow process. Has the smell gone?
Flooring is not salvageble, it is bowed and bent and beyond repair. The smell is fading as everything dries up. The house has been sprayed with some anti mold spray as well as chlorine spray and tomorrow it will be bug sprayed.

On the bright side the new bathroom I wanted will now happen. It might not be quite as I wanted because there is so much to do. But it's a start. Living with a bed two chairs and a TV with bare studs and concrete for is manageable, just about!
Old Sep 11th 2017, 1:12 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Flooring is not salvageble, it is bowed and bent and beyond repair. The smell is fading as everything dries up. The house has been sprayed with some anti mold spray as well as chlorine spray and tomorrow it will be bug sprayed.

On the bright side the new bathroom I wanted will now happen. It might not be quite as I wanted because there is so much to do. But it's a start. Living with a bed two chairs and a TV with bare studs and concrete for is manageable, just about!

Glad you found the silver lining! Your upbeat posts are an inspiration. You go girl!
Old Sep 11th 2017, 2:46 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

We probably have some furniture for you if it would be useful? I know we have a coffee table and a tv unit. Possibly more. Pm me if you like.
Old Sep 11th 2017, 5:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Glad you found the silver lining! Your upbeat posts are an inspiration. You go girl!
Aren't they just?

SM...sounds you are making good progress with the house. Like you said...on the upside you will get a new bathroom out of it.

Don't forget to take care of yourself and that fella of yours.
Old Sep 12th 2017, 1:57 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Weeze
We probably have some furniture for you if it would be useful? I know we have a coffee table and a tv unit. Possibly more. Pm me if you like.
Honey, thank you so much for the offer, it is appreciated. Right now we need to have minimum furniture in the house because of the demolition work. Maybe there is somewhere near you where you can donate it ?

There are so many people in our condition or worse that don't have insurance. We will eventually be able to replace everything. I am determined to make this an exercise to start minimizing our lives and our personal possessions.

Except my sketchers...
Old Sep 12th 2017, 10:48 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Honey, thank you so much for the offer, it is appreciated. Right now we need to have minimum furniture in the house because of the demolition work. Maybe there is somewhere near you where you can donate it ?

There are so many people in our condition or worse that don't have insurance. We will eventually be able to replace everything. I am determined to make this an exercise to start minimizing our lives and our personal possessions.

Except my sketchers...
Great plan and as usual you see a silver lining in everything. I drastically de-cluttered when we left NJ...didn't have anywhere to put all the stuff. Feel much better for it.
Old Sep 12th 2017, 1:09 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Some clean-up music for everyone.

I know it's very hard work and can be dispiriting - but you'll be ok in the end.

Old Sep 12th 2017, 1:28 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Unfortunately Irma seems to have eclipsed Harvey ... but we are still thinking of all our BE friends in Houston

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.