Harvey

Old Aug 28th 2017, 5:09 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Harvey

The reports are that the weather system will whip round into the gulf again and then hit Houston again. Not at hurricane force of course, but picking up more moisture and dumping another 20 ins of rain on top of the 30 ins they just got.

Stay safe, good luck, and very sorry for the loss of homes, etc.
Old Aug 28th 2017, 6:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Just a note on donation that just came out to me.

If you wish to make a donation to the relief efforts, do your homework. Donate to a reputable charity that you’ve checked out first. The Federal Emergency Management Agency website has recommendations on volunteering and donating responsibly, as well as links to the National Voluntary Organizations Active in Disaster. Click on: https://www.fema.gov/volunteer-donate-responsibly
Old Aug 28th 2017, 7:16 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Quick check in. We are pretty much in the same position as we were. The water had receded a little overnight but it's been raining pretty much all day and the lake behind us is higher than it ever was. However, we have electric, we have supplies and we are safe in our home. I wish we had a better indication of how much more rain to expect but it's so hard to predict. The wind has started to pick up now which brings a whole batch of other problems. Can only keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best. Love to everyone in the affected areas xx
Old Aug 28th 2017, 7:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
Quick check in. We are pretty much in the same position as we were. The water had receded a little overnight but it's been raining pretty much all day and the lake behind us is higher than it ever was. However, we have electric, we have supplies and we are safe in our home. I wish we had a better indication of how much more rain to expect but it's so hard to predict. The wind has started to pick up now which brings a whole batch of other problems. Can only keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best. Love to everyone in the affected areas xx
Glad to know you are safe. Hopefully you have seen the worst of it. Stay safe
Old Aug 28th 2017, 7:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dakota44
Glad to know you are safe. Hopefully you have seen the worst of it. Stay safe
Ditto.

Stay safe ChocolateBabz.
Old Aug 28th 2017, 9:14 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
Is Houston a basin, like New Orleans?

I spent 7 months there in 2002. I remember when it would rain heavily; there would be flash floods and the amount of water in the underpasses so quickly was scary.

Can't wait to see the footage of the Cajun Navy doing their thing.
I had some guys come by, from the area.

They said that Houston is basically built on a marsh and the water has nowhere to go so when they do get dumped on then it will get flooded. Mega development has made things worse.

I have seen it before, years ago I rember them building big estates between Reading and the M4, low lying flood areas, and where I lived when I first came here was an old town built on the side of a small river, all the old houses were high up all the new ones low down and then came torrential rain and of course all the new houses flooded.

Not a question of if, just when.
Old Aug 28th 2017, 9:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Also water does not permeate concrete like it does farmland, so the water has nowhere to go. Many times this is an urban planning issue. Cities often have urban growth boundaries which make the problem somewhat worse.
Old Aug 28th 2017, 10:01 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Another check in from the Weeze's. we got rescued, which is all honesty was a very odd experience. A friend of a friend sent over a huge 4 wheeled off road thing and we, the kids and the dogs have been delivered to a friends house. We didn't know if we should go or not but when we saw rescue boats at the end of the street I think it prompted us to get the hell out of dodge.

It won't stop raining. Last we checked the water wasn't rising a huge amount but honestly no where here can take much more rain. We are safe and dry. Hugs to all my fellow Houstonians.
Old Aug 28th 2017, 10:23 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Weeze
Another check in from the Weeze's. we got rescued, which is all honesty was a very odd experience. A friend of a friend sent over a huge 4 wheeled off road thing and we, the kids and the dogs have been delivered to a friends house. We didn't know if we should go or not but when we saw rescue boats at the end of the street I think it prompted us to get the hell out of dodge.

It won't stop raining. Last we checked the water wasn't rising a huge amount but honestly no where here can take much more rain. We are safe and dry. Hugs to all my fellow Houstonians.
& hugs to you . Tough call to make but from what I hear even here in New Zealand that rain will still be coming so it is good to know you are safe and in the dry.
Old Aug 28th 2017, 10:28 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Weeze, what a horrible decision to have to make. All of you stay safe, thinking of all of you Houstonians. xx
Old Aug 28th 2017, 10:45 pm
Forum Regular

Pugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond reputePugilation has a reputation beyond repute

We are so very lucky in that our neighbourhood has enough drainage to cope (at the moment!), the roads are filling up periodically which makes for interesting trips to the barn in the truck to feed the horses. Otherwise we're fine, hunkered down for the long haul. Vibes to weeze, SM and the rest who are being impacted, stay safe and you definitely did the right thing by evacuating!
Old Aug 28th 2017, 10:48 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Jeez! Glad you are safe.
Old Aug 28th 2017, 10:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

That sucks...I was hoping that your home would be ok. The weather peeps have just been saying the weather over Houston isn't going anywhere for the next 48 hours. I hope they are wrong. Still...as long as the Weeze family are safe...that's all that matters.
Old Aug 28th 2017, 11:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

This, I fear, will only get worse as even greater panic sets in.

"CNN)As Harvey continues dumping rain on East Texas and the waters there continue to rise, people are starting to panic, rushing rescue boats and even shooting at them if they don't stop, said one volunteer rescuer.

Clyde Cain, of the Cajun Navy, a Louisiana-based rescue force that gained fame during Hurricane Katrina, said in one instance, a boat broke down, and while the crew sought shelter in a delivery truck, people tried to steal the inoperable boat.
"They're making it difficult for us to rescue them," he said. "You have people rushing the boat. Everyone wants to get in at the same time. They're panicking. Water is rising."
Because of the hostile responses, the Cajun Navy has been forced to halt some rescue attempts, Cain said."
Old Aug 28th 2017, 11:40 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dakota44
This, I fear, will only get worse as even greater panic sets in.

"CNN)As Harvey continues dumping rain on East Texas and the waters there continue to rise, people are starting to panic, rushing rescue boats and even shooting at them if they don't stop, said one volunteer rescuer.

Clyde Cain, of the Cajun Navy, a Louisiana-based rescue force that gained fame during Hurricane Katrina, said in one instance, a boat broke down, and while the crew sought shelter in a delivery truck, people tried to steal the inoperable boat.
"They're making it difficult for us to rescue them," he said. "You have people rushing the boat. Everyone wants to get in at the same time. They're panicking. Water is rising."
Because of the hostile responses, the Cajun Navy has been forced to halt some rescue attempts, Cain said."
All I can say is none of that is our experience. Everyone has been extremely helpful to each other

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.