Happy Thanksgiving

Old Nov 23rd 2018, 9:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Happy Thanksgiving

When you think about it thanksgiving is as much British as American. In 1621 British expats who had been here one year started the tradition. America and the United States was over 150 years in the future. Besides who can not like four days off and an excuse to eat until you can’t eat any more.
Old Nov 23rd 2018, 9:37 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ddsrph
When you think about it thanksgiving is as much British as American. In 1621 British expats who had been here one year started the tradition. America and the United States was over 150 years in the future. Besides who can not like four days off and an excuse to eat until you can’t eat any more.
Didnt Jamestown have Thanksgivings before 1621? and were these not imported celebrations anyway?
I'd like to know when and why it got associated with 1621 and Plymouth, probably the same time that Plymouth got associated with movement from Europe to America, despite earlier events.
Old Nov 23rd 2018, 9:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

I always assumed it was Jamestown until I googled it prior to making my post. I am not too strong in the history department.
Old Nov 23rd 2018, 9:52 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
I would really miss it if I wasn't here. What is better than a 4 day weekend with lots of food and no work? Also no pressure of decorating the house, buying presents and spending too much money.

As for only having one day for Christmas, again with planning ahead we have always tried to make sure we have christmas eve, christmas day and boxing day off work. To me celebrations are what you make of them yourself, we kept up a lot of the traditions we had when we were back in the UK but we have also added some since we have been here.

So now you are in Canada do you celebrate the CanadianThanksgiving weekend?
Nope...we were in the middle of the Pacific Ocean for Canadian TG.
Old Nov 23rd 2018, 10:40 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Good Gravy! $3.00 per lb???????????? Did you pick it out of the gaggle and watch it being head chopped and plucked? We got a top of the line 18 lb. Honeysuckle White for $.49 per lb. The juiciest, flavorful bird we ever had.
Some kind of free range, grass stuffed thing. Or the grass is vegetarian and free range and fed to free range birds.
I don't know. You can take the wife out of Boulder, but you can't completely take Boulder out of the wife.
Old Nov 23rd 2018, 10:55 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

I always assumed it was Jamestown until I googled it prior to making my post.
Getting Jamestown and Plymouth mixed up is a never ending problem for you, myself, and most of America it seems.
Old Nov 24th 2018, 2:43 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Didnt Jamestown have Thanksgivings before 1621? and were these not imported celebrations anyway?
I'd like to know when and why it got associated with 1621 and Plymouth, probably the same time that Plymouth got associated with movement from Europe to America, despite earlier events.
To the victor go the spoils, which includes writing the history books as they see fit. Ergo the earlier feasts celebrated with the locals by the French and Spanish were ignored by the English history books. Ponce de Leon, De Soto, Aviles had all engaged in the ritual for at least a century prior to the Pilgrims and 1621. All in Florida, which must stick in the gullets of New Englanders!
Old Nov 24th 2018, 10:12 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
What is better than a 4 day weekend with lots of food and no work?
Retirement

Sorry I tried hard to refrain from posting that but couldn't resist.
Old Nov 25th 2018, 1:33 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately, the Jamestown settlers didn't last out the year before disappearing into thin air. Jamestown was founded in 1607 and Plymouth in 1620. Guess the northern Indian tribes were friendlier than the southern tribes. I can attest to the fact that there is no such thing as southern hospitality.
Old Nov 25th 2018, 1:38 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

George Washington's original letter re Thanksgiving Holiday from 1789
Old Nov 25th 2018, 1:51 am
Forum Regular

daveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond reputedaveincolchester has a reputation beyond repute

We were in Canada for the Canadian Thanksgiving and we bought a nice turkey, but living in the Banana Belt of SW Ontario, it turned out to be too warm to have the oven on for hours, so it went into the freezer and we had BBQ steak instead.
Down here in Panama the American neighbors are doing a ham tomorrow for a belated US thanksgiving.
Old Nov 25th 2018, 1:58 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
Retirement

Sorry I tried hard to refrain from posting that but couldn't resist.
You are so mean.

Hopefully Thanksgiving 2020 will see me posting the same as you!
Old Nov 25th 2018, 2:10 am
He/him

Originally Posted by Rete
Unfortunately, the Jamestown settlers didn't last out the year before disappearing into thin air.
Thinking of Roanoke maybe?
Old Nov 25th 2018, 3:15 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

The United States were in the future, but not "America." The concept of America & Americans was well established in England in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries. London was full of wealthy Americans, there for the social season or to get qualified as barristers, etc. Plenty of Americans at Oxford and Cambridge, qualifying as ministers of religion. And wealthy Americans brought their slaves with them, until the courts established that bringing them to England made them free. (Yes, double standard, we all know that the slave trade was based in England...)
Old Nov 25th 2018, 4:41 pm
Concierge

Thinking of Roanoke maybe?
DUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was ... stupid silly me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.