Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

It happened to me ...health insurance

It happened to me ...health insurance

Old Nov 17th 2009, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

ionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond repute
Default It happened to me ...health insurance

My daughter is 26 still in school and working two part time jobs,she has no health insurance.At the weekend she fell and broke her ankle and it is one big expensive mess getting her help.
my husband and I have lived in this country for over 20yrs we both hold good full time jobs and pay all of our taxes ,we both have great health insurance and my daughter was on our plan until she was 25yrs ,
Come on it is time to get something done, pass the health care reforms now.
I never thought that I would ever be in this position ,
My daughter is looked down on because she has no insurance. She has been working on getting insurance but it is very expensive to go private and she thought that she could put it off.
Old Nov 17th 2009, 8:01 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It happened to me ...health insurance

Sorry to hear of your daughter's troubles. Yes, private healthcare is expensive but so is the cost of not having healthcare as she is finding out. Be aware that both hospitals and doctors will trim the bill if you are able to give them a good portion of the bill in cash upfront. The hospital, at least, will allow you to make monthly payments but I don't believe a doctor will. Taking that into consideration, perhaps you can pay off her doctors' bills quickly, in cash, and let her make arrangements with the hospital for repayment.

I don't understand your comment about her being looked down on for not having insurance. My daughter had no insurance both in Las Vegas and in Mississippi when she was pregnant and she was never made to feel inferior because of the lack of insurance.
Old Nov 17th 2009, 8:12 pm
lj2
BE Enthusiast

lj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of light

Hopefully this will be a lesson to others who don't prioritise health insurance...

That said - I had a $2650 deductible on mine and Arranged a payment plan (therefore debt passed to an agency - no credit dings or anything). I paid the first 6 monthly payments off in 2 months, and then figured I'd try to negotiate a reduced settlement. I got 16% off. Worth bearing in mind.
Old Nov 17th 2009, 10:24 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

there was a recent story on the web about a guy who was very badly beaten by a fellow student (now in custody). He only lived 5 minutes after arriving in the ER department but still clocked up almost 50,000 dollars of bill in those few minutes. His poor parents lost their son and still have to pay/negotiate etc a $50k bill.
Old Nov 17th 2009, 10:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ionaskye
My daughter is 26 still in school and working two part time jobs,she has no health insurance.At the weekend she fell and broke her ankle and it is one big expensive mess getting her help.
my husband and I have lived in this country for over 20yrs we both hold good full time jobs and pay all of our taxes ,we both have great health insurance and my daughter was on our plan until she was 25yrs ,
My daughter is looked down on because she has no insurance. She has been working on getting insurance but it is very expensive to go private and she thought that she could put it off.
Welcome to the world of haves and have-nots.
Old Nov 17th 2009, 11:52 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

True story a friend of mine went to the local country vet when he broke his arm, result $20
Old Nov 17th 2009, 11:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
there was a recent story on the web about a guy who was very badly beaten by a fellow student (now in custody). He only lived 5 minutes after arriving in the ER department but still clocked up almost 50,000 dollars of bill in those few minutes. His poor parents lost their son and still have to pay/negotiate etc a $50k bill.
Am I missing something.....how are parents of this guy liable for the debt? He may be their son but they didn't incur the debt or cause the injury.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 12:59 am
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute

Although I don't have a link to post, I remember reading somewhere recently that the hospital has since rescinded the bill and apologized in writing to the parents for causing them anguish.

~SecretGarden
Old Nov 18th 2009, 1:02 am
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
Am I missing something.....how are parents of this guy liable for the debt? He may be their son but they didn't incur the debt or cause the injury.
I assume his estate would be liable for the debt.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 1:47 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jumping doris
I assume his estate would be liable for the debt.
Sure....but what kind of student has an 'estate'. They'd get next to nothing I expect.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 2:09 am
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
Sure....but what kind of student has an 'estate'. They'd get next to nothing I expect.
I remember reading an article here about families inheriting medical debt and some of the amounts were huge.

So, in this case, would his parents "inherit" the debt? I don't know, I just assumed they might because of the thing I read.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 3:10 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Actually is was "only" $29,000 according to this report
Old Nov 18th 2009, 3:12 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Be aware that both hospitals and doctors will trim the bill if you are able to give them a good portion of the bill in cash upfront.
Possibly - but only if you know to ask. Otherwise you will be paying the full (ie inflated) rate not the discounted prices that the insurance companies have negotiated.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 3:32 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

You can not inherit debt, you can be jointly liable but that is uncommon in medical situations.

If she is a student check with the Uni, most have group schemes.

And something I was told not long after I got here, do not give them your SSN, or a correct name or address.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 5:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ionaskye
I've posted this before on here... my recently graduated, vastly underemployed daughter got appendicitis after coming off my insurance. She had investigated health insurance but came to the conclusion that the size of the annual deductible and the copayments required of the insurance she could afford would likely bankrupt her anyway in the event of a significant claim, so she chose to go without insurance. I didn't agree with her decision, but couldn't fault her financial logic. Anyway, she has $26k in bills that she has no hope in hell of paying, she's not eligible for Medicaid in CA as she has no children and is not pregnant, and absent the hospital writing off the bills she's likely going to be bankrupt. When it comes to healthcare access, this is one truly ****ed up country.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Nov 18th 2009 at 5:11 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.