Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

It happened to me ...health insurance

It happened to me ...health insurance

Old Nov 18th 2009, 5:56 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It happened to me ...health insurance

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
'We came for a better life for the kids'.

What a ****ing joke.
What made you think it would be a better life? Just curious?
Old Nov 18th 2009, 6:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
The math course would also tell you that for many all but catastrophic insurance with a high deductible is likely to be beyond your means. And as I have pointed out that deductible plus the copayments may bankrupt you from a major claim anyway. I'm sure some folks "forego healthcare deliberately", but I'm just as sure many can't plausibly afford the cost of a non-catastrophic comprehensive policy.
It was almost damn near impossible for me to pay my premium since I had to go COBRA for the last 12 months of my schooling. During this time I couldn't let my coverage drop because I had been diagnosed with a neurological condition. It is imperative that college students also maintain that health insurance - you just never know what's around the corner.

But as we all say sh*t happens, and I hope, OP, that you can get the bills sorted out and that your daughter won't have to go through a bankruptcy.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 6:28 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trixie_b
Having no health insurance is very scarey. Both my husband and I were laid off from our individual companies in August - me on Monday - him on Tuesday...

Fortunatly, I was able to start at a new place within 3 weeks and was eligable for health benefits within a month.

To address the issue of health care for students, (please forgive any errors in this, but it was explained to me by my lawyer, and whilst she knows the ins and outs, I don't)
Even if a students is not covered under their Mom and Dad's poilicy, (in California) there is a thing called "resident relative" - which means that a child (even over the age of 18), who primarily lives with parents but is away at school, is a resident relative with the folks and there is a potential that the folks home-owners insurance will cover the cost of any liabilty incurred by the child.
It was explained to me, because my step son who was living with us was driving his truck without insurance (even though we had explicitly requested that he didn't), my lawyer was telling me that even with him being an adult, if he were to be in an accident, we might get a claim on our homeowners insurance.
The problem arises when that child finishes uni/college. There is often a gap between finishing full time education and starting work with health benefits.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 6:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Is there anything in any of the proposed health care reform bills that would help prevent these kinds of situations?
Old Nov 18th 2009, 6:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebs
Is there anything in any of the proposed health care reform bills that would help prevent these kinds of situations?
The House bill contains a provision that children can stay on their parents' policy until age 27 (?) regardless of whether they are full time students. I don't know whether the Senate bill contains a similar provision. Of course that doesn't help children whose parents are likewise struggling to get health insurance, nor address the basic flaw of tying health insurance to employment in the first place and biasing the system (through tax deductions to employers) against those who need individual coverage.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 6:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
The problem arises when that child finishes uni/college. There is often a gap between finishing full time education and starting work with health benefits.
Exactly. And with graduate unemployment and underemployment running at record levels, this is a potentially huge issue.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

ionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond reputeionaskye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
'We came for a better life for the kids'.

What a ****ing joke.
I definately agree, now that my children are older I have so many regrets about raising them here,
Old Nov 18th 2009, 7:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trixie_b
Having no health insurance is very scarey. Both my husband and I were laid off from our individual companies in August - me on Monday - him on Tuesday...

Fortunatly, I was able to start at a new place within 3 weeks and was eligable for health benefits within a month.

To address the issue of health care for students, (please forgive any errors in this, but it was explained to me by my lawyer, and whilst she knows the ins and outs, I don't)
Even if a students is not covered under their Mom and Dad's poilicy, (in California) there is a thing called "resident relative" - which means that a child (even over the age of 18), who primarily lives with parents but is away at school, is a resident relative with the folks and there is a potential that the folks home-owners insurance will cover the cost of any liabilty incurred by the child.
It was explained to me, because my step son who was living with us was driving his truck without insurance (even though we had explicitly requested that he didn't), my lawyer was telling me that even with him being an adult, if he were to be in an accident, we might get a claim on our homeowners insurance.
I think you misunderstood the lawyer. Resident relatives are usually protected under the homeowners insurance liability for his/her negligence but no homeowners insurance offers protection in an auto accident, not even the homeowner.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 7:17 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
If I'm reading these stories correctly, in both cases deliberate decisions were made to go without insurance. Both people were adults who were aware they were taking a risk. I'm not sure it's as simple as blaming the healthcare system for the situation that both people are now in. How would you feel if someone went without car insurance to save some money and then complained when they had a accident?
Terrible analogy. If you can't afford car insurance then you shouldn't drive. That is a choice. We have no choice about living in our bodies regardless of whether we can afford health insurance.

If you want to talk cost of healthcare in this country, that's another (and much more worthy) debate, but as these stories seem to demonstrate (and in my opinion) access to insurance is at least equally driven by choice as it is by availability.
Having to choose between paying insurance premiums and putting food on the table isn't really much of a choice.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 7:23 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
It was certainly a concern for us as our daughter came to the end of her uni course...fortunately the start date for her job was before the end of the course so there wasn't a gap. Normally the company's employees aren't eligible for healthcare insurance until they have been with the company for 3 months but they made an exception.

But your daughter lives and works in Canada. She's a Canadian Resident isn't she and therefore covered under their healthcare system.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 9:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
But your daughter lives and works in Canada. She's a Canadian Resident isn't she and therefore covered under their healthcare system.
She isn't a Canadian resident and therefore is not entitled to Canadian health care. She would have had the same problem in the US...no healthcare insurance equals no healthcare unless you pay megabucks.

She is working in Toronto because she attended a 5 yr uni course...that allows her to stay and work for 3 years...but she is not classed as a resident.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 9:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
What made you think it would be a better life? Just curious?
Brainwashing.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 11:28 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

FWIW, when talking about some of the lower paying jobs, that skilled and unskilled alike are falling back on- as a part time cashier at Kroger a few years ago, I had insurance through them and it wasn't bad.
Old Nov 19th 2009, 12:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ionaskye
I definately agree, now that my children are older I have so many regrets about raising them here,
I've had similar thoughts, although I wouldn't classify them as regrets. The reality, though, is that things are really tough for young adults everywhere right now. The difference is that folks in a similar position in the UK don't have to worry about being financially devastated by a serious illness or accident.
Old Nov 19th 2009, 1:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ionaskye
I think my biggest regret about them being raised here would be more about them wanting to stay here and me wanting to move back to the UK eventually. Can't blame them, they will both probably have families here by the time I am ready to go

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.