Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Handle IV ourselves?

Wikiposts

Handle IV ourselves?

Old May 10th 2011, 7:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Handle IV ourselves?

Rather than get frustrated with our attorney again, I was wondering whether to take over the NVC IV part of the process ourselves. We don't have any arrests or other complications except my original birth certificate is only short form and hers is lost. However, i understand there are ways around that (Meauxna kindly provided links earlier). She's also Filipino (UK dual cit) but again that shouldn't be a problem, just more paperwork.

The attorney isn't charging any more for this part - but OTOH that's not an incentive to work hard on this part of the case!

Is there anything I've overlooked which could be our downfall if we do it ourselves?

Thanks
Old May 11th 2011, 1:04 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Handle IV ourselves?

The choice is entirely up to you. Period.
Old May 11th 2011, 1:30 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
The choice is entirely up to you. Period.
<Sigh>

That's not what I asked.
Old May 11th 2011, 2:15 am
A I
not even a fake TV lawyer

A I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by GeoffM
<Sigh>

That's not what I asked.
Why are you surprised? You have been in the forums here longer than I have. I expected no less.

Some posters are way better than others at proving feedback that has nothing to do with the question asked....

Here's my attempt...

I would suggest you consider the worst likely possible outcome in your application to make your decision.

It would appear to me, that in botching such an IV petition, the worst likely outcome is a delay in the amount of time that the application is pending.

I'd risk it if it were me....

BUT, You alone will be the victim and beneficiary of your decision, so you must have full buy-in from your inner senses to commit, and be willing to accept any possible negative repercussions (blah blah blah...if it blows up it's your fault, but if you get it done faster and get together sooner, it's your gain too !!!!)

Perhaps you can do the work and show it to the lawyer for a look-over before sending it. I doubt he can be faster than you !
Old May 11th 2011, 2:33 am
BE Enthusiast

zerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond reputezerlesen has a reputation beyond repute

Is there anything I've overlooked which could be our downfall if we do it ourselves?
Thing is, as I'm sure you are quite aware, the answer to this question is "maybe".

At various points throughout the AOS process the thought did cross my mind that I could've filled the forms out myself and saved a four-figure sum. On the other hand, given the stakes I certainly don't regret having a professional on hand. (You only get one chance to respond to an RFE.)
Old May 11th 2011, 3:26 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zerlesen
Thing is, as I'm sure you are quite aware, the answer to this question is "maybe".

At various points throughout the AOS process the thought did cross my mind that I could've filled the forms out myself and saved a four-figure sum. On the other hand, given the stakes I certainly don't regret having a professional on hand. (You only get one chance to respond to an RFE.)
My friend J Fong and I have noted in conversations that if the attorney does his job right, the client will often be upset with having had to pay the lawyer -- I could have done it my self! And if the case gets snakebit, it is the lawyer's fault!
Old May 11th 2011, 3:41 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Rather than get frustrated with our attorney again, I was wondering whether to take over the NVC IV part of the process ourselves. We don't have any arrests or other complications except my original birth certificate is only short form and hers is lost. However, i understand there are ways around that (Meauxna kindly provided links earlier). She's also Filipino (UK dual cit) but again that shouldn't be a problem, just more paperwork.

The attorney isn't charging any more for this part - but OTOH that's not an incentive to work hard on this part of the case!

Thanks
Why doesn't anyone ever ask for advice on how to manage the attorney for better performance?

How you can you cut him off 50% of the way there? Don't forget there is still the interview after NVC.

How much do YOU know about the NVC process? Have you discussed speed there with the lawyer? I noticed that family based cases are flying through there faster than ever... in 4-6 weeks now instead of 2-3 months.

I think you'll be crazy over it whichever method you choose.
NOT that there's anything wrong with that!
Old May 11th 2011, 3:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by A I
Why are you surprised? You have been in the forums here longer than I have. I expected no less.

Some posters are way better than others at proving feedback that has nothing to do with the question asked....
Not a surprise; I probably should have just ignored it.

Originally Posted by A I
I'd risk it if it were me....
Ok. I guess I'm looking for the horror stories where the applicant didn't do anything silly - in other words, hidden pitfalls that an attorney might know about but your average person might not.

Originally Posted by A I
BUT, You alone will be the victim and beneficiary of your decision, so you must have full buy-in from your inner senses to commit, and be willing to accept any possible negative repercussions (blah blah blah...if it blows up it's your fault, but if you get it done faster and get together sooner, it's your gain too !!!!)
Naturally! I cock it up, it's completely my fault.

Originally Posted by A I
Perhaps you can do the work and show it to the lawyer for a look-over before sending it. I doubt he can be faster than you !
That's a good idea - though I doubt he'd buy it on the basis that it might cost him more time to fix a bodged application than had he done it himself from scratch.

Originally Posted by zerlesen

If I had to pay more for the NVC part then I'd be inclined to do it on my own. But having effectively paid for it, some people might say I'm crazy to throw the professional touch away. But it's not a guaranteed success anyway, just more likely than a novice doing it - and, as you say, only 1-2 chances to get it right and it's high stakes.

Maybe what I'm really asking is, is this a procedural thing where being able to write my name correctly on a form is the basic process, or is it subjective where I have to write an essay and somebody reviews it depending on their mood? The former ought to be do-able by somebody subject to no muppetery; the latter would require an attorney. Or is it somewhere in between?

If I had arrests or other complications then it would be a no-brainer. But I *think* it should be a straightforward case! Birth certificates are covered in detail, black and white; police certificates also (as wife has to get both UK and Philippines; we know where and what to get because NVC states quite clearly what we need).

[Meauxna and Mr F - see next post]
Old May 11th 2011, 3:51 am
Account Closed

goldenstate31 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by meauxna
Why doesn't anyone ever ask for advice on how to manage the attorney for better performance?

How you can you cut him off 50% of the way there? Don't forget there is still the interview after NVC.

How much do YOU know about the NVC process? Have you discussed speed there with the lawyer? I noticed that family based cases are flying through there faster than ever... in 4-6 weeks now instead of 2-3 months.

NOT that there's anything wrong with that!
i think its maybe because he now has USCIS approval and is in the 'itchy feet' stage
Old May 11th 2011, 4:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
My friend J Fong and I have noted in conversations that if the attorney does his job right, the client will often be upset with having had to pay the lawyer -- I could have done it my self! And if the case gets snakebit, it is the lawyer's fault!
I can understand that. Though I'm peeved with the *service* I've had from mine, at the end of the day he got my I-140 approved so I have to give him big credit for that.

Good point - I feel a Wiki article or new thread coming along! (Feed them tidbits and wait until they're hungry before giving them any more?)

Surely you remember the hassles I've had?! Three weeks since I last heard from him.

How much do YOU know about the NVC process?
Ah, well you don't know what you don't know until you need to know what you didn't know in the first place! Yes, I've researched, learnt about the various "packets", medicals, interviews, etc. But do I know enough? I don't know!

Have you discussed speed there with the lawyer? I noticed that family based cases are flying through there faster than ever... in 4-6 weeks now instead of 2-3 months.
Discussed as in asked, yes. Discussed as in having a reply, no. But that is news to me - thanks. Maybe I ought to dive into the Marriage forum (assuming that's where it's being discussed)?

You're secretly a lawyer, aren't you?
Old May 11th 2011, 4:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by goldenstate31
i think its maybe because he now has USCIS approval and is in the 'itchy feet' stage
Sort of - but we have a window in which to move, starting November and ending 6 months after the visas are issued. Ok, so we could "activate" them and then return properly later, but I'd rather get things sorted in one bundle. Airfare costs, for one.

Getting everything in motion - or prepared, ready to go, is what I'm keen to do. I don't know whether that'll be days, weeks, or months from now with my attorney.

BTW how long (uh oh) is it taking for the NVC case number to arrive after I-140 approval? I recall 60-90 days but I can't remember whether that was an attorney estimate or what was written on the approval (which is probably much longer than it actually takes anyway).
Old May 11th 2011, 4:10 am
Account Closed

goldenstate31 is an unknown quantity at this point

BTW how long (uh oh) is it taking for the NVC case number to arrive after I-140 approval? I recall 60-90 days but I can't remember whether that was an attorney estimate or what was written on the approval (which is probably much longer than it actually takes anyway).
Last i heard 3 months,
btw you can be contacting the knightsbridge doctors
http://travel.state.gov/pdf/medical/...-0001-1104.pdf

this link here to get your police records
http://www.acpo.police.uk/NationalPo...tificates.aspx

i 'figured' that i could be saving time with this also, so that when i get the uscis notice i have at least this info to save time.
(ps you need to contact your gp to get copies of your immunisations)
Old May 11th 2011, 4:16 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, well you don't know what you don't know until you need to know what you didn't know in the first place! Yes, I've researched, learnt about the various "packets", medicals, interviews, etc. But do I know enough? I don't know!
Ah, well, you know something.. many people don't read as far as you clearly have.

I understand about your past experience with the guy. If you're still that dissatisfied and haven't been able to mutually compromise about contact... well, I understand. I can take a lot of things, but 'ignored' I don't do very well with myself.

Have you discussed speed there with the lawyer? I noticed that family based cases are flying through there faster than ever... in 4-6 weeks now instead of 2-3 months.
Discussed as in asked, yes. Discussed as in having a reply, no. But that is news to me - thanks. Maybe I ought to dive into the Marriage forum (assuming that's where it's being discussed)?[/QUOTE]
Look in the couple of long threads about filing I-130 in the US, they are discussing it right now.

Certainly *many* people get their family based case through the NVC without problem. It's basically 'just' a document collection exercise. Call & Response.. they request something, you send it, on receipt of their confirmation you do something else, etc etc. You have to stay on top of it and know what is coming next, for speed's sake. If you just let it plod along it will still get done, it will just take some weeks more.

You're secretly a lawyer, aren't you?
Nope, psychic.
Old May 11th 2011, 4:17 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I guess I'm looking for the horror stories where the applicant didn't do anything silly - in other words, hidden pitfalls that an attorney might know about but your average person might not.
Respectfully, if that's what you're looking for, that's exactly what you'll find... and every time you read a horror story it'll convince you more to keep the attorney. If that's what you really want, keep the attorney.

If you keep the horror stories in correct perspective, you'll come to realize that, in the grand scheme of things, they account for a very small percentage of the total of successful DIY filings. But, of course, if horror stories are your focus, then they'll become the expectation rather than the exception.

Ian
Old May 11th 2011, 7:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Respectfully, if that's what you're looking for, that's exactly what you'll find... and every time you read a horror story it'll convince you more to keep the attorney. If that's what you really want, keep the attorney.

If you keep the horror stories in correct perspective, you'll come to realize that, in the grand scheme of things, they account for a very small percentage of the total of successful DIY filings. But, of course, if horror stories are your focus, then they'll become the expectation rather than the exception.

Ian
Sorry, I should have worded that better. I meant that I'm looking for anything that people have had problems with, just so it's on the radar. I'm more likely to find them in the horror stories than the success stories - though there might be some useful tips or hiccups in the latter, of course.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.